• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Another way of looking at it is to flip it and consider would we play the FA cup final in the states or Asia with a different/awkward time zone.
Obviously in the past, not a chance, but now, who knows, the shine isn't there anymore?(for many)

Didn't the spanish cup get played in saudi or something?

I think you could put forward a very good excuse for not playing the World Cup in Qatar in the middle of the European domestic seasons. Wait...
money talks - the money generated by TV and sponsorship dwarfs the money made by the event going spectators and their pre/post match routines and if the NFLs main priority is to spread the game outside of the US then chasing the foreign $$$ will be front and centre of thier thinking

I think to wait for a NFL franchise is a bit optimistic...I think the timeframe of that happening is too long (especially weighing it up with the amount of naming rights revenue you'd of passed on by then)

More realistically, I think the prediction was that the initial NFL 2 game contract would be extended out to 4, along with us being the sole UK venue for NFL. That's only 4 games short of a home schedule for a team for a season.

The plan was sensible, as a joint PL/NFL naming rights deal is pretty much holy grail stuff.

Then Covid got in the way.
Like I said, it didn’t look realistic.. We were clearly looking for an NFL tie in though and that would be the time to get the naming rights done rather than when we were in the champions league final, before the stadium was proven. That was the point I was responding to.

Like I said, it didn’t look realistic.. We were clearly looking for an NFL tie in though and that would be the time to get the naming rights done rather than when we were in the champions league final, before the stadium was proven. That was the point I was responding to.

I take your point about the NFL, but the champions league has more reach and appeal worldwide than the NFL does. Covid clearly hasn’t helped and you don’t want to rush these things, but I think after 3 years it’s more than reasonable to ask questions about potential timelines for getting the naming rights over the line as we are passing up revenue the longer we go without naming rights. And I do think it hurts potential income if we’re in the EL or ECL rather than the CL.

I take your point about the NFL, but the champions league has more reach and appeal worldwide than the NFL does. Covid clearly hasn’t helped and you don’t want to rush these things, but I think after 3 years it’s more than reasonable to ask questions about potential timelines for getting the naming rights over the line as we are passing up revenue the longer we go without naming rights. And I do think it hurts potential income if we’re in the EL or ECL rather than the CL.
It’s dragged, without a doubt it’s dragged. Levy must have anticipated getting a deal done by now, but we’ve got a dedicated pro on it now so maybe some movement coming?

Does it?

The final certainly gains more views than the Superbowl, but that's one match every season, compounded by the fact that the Superbowl is on when the civilised world is asleep.

The average NFL match gets over 17m viewers. Given that some of the matches in the CL were getting 200k UK viewers, it's hard to extrapolate that past 5-10m worldwide.

Does it?

The final certainly gains more views than the Superbowl, but that's one match every season, compounded by the fact that the Superbowl is on when the civilised world is asleep.

The average NFL match gets over 17m viewers. Given that some of the matches in the CL were getting 200k UK viewers, it's hard to extrapolate that past 5-10m worldwide.

I honestly don’t know the viewing figures for the group stages and the knockout rounds. The final viewing figures dwarfs the Super Bowl as you pointed out. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to guesstimate that the knockout rounds (quarters, semis etc) would pull in tens of millions of viewers worldwide. The numbers aren’t great for UK as the games are on BT and not terrestrial, but football is huge in Asia and Africa so I’d bet that is where a large amount of the viewing figures come from rather than Europe. Football as a whole is just miles bigger than the NFL and the CL is the elite club competition.

I honestly don’t know the viewing figures for the group stages and the knockout rounds. The final viewing figures dwarfs the Super Bowl as you pointed out. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to guesstimate that the knockout rounds (quarters, semis etc) would pull in tens of millions of viewers worldwide. The numbers aren’t great for UK as the games are on BT and not terrestrial, but football is huge in Asia and Africa so I’d bet that is where a large amount of the viewing figures come from rather than Europe. Football as a whole is just miles bigger than the NFL and the CL is the elite club competition.

Cl isn't that big in asia. Time difference means it's on late at night for a big swathe.

Cl isn't that big in asia. Time difference means it's on late at night for a big swathe.

Like I said I don’t know the viewing figures for games other than the final but I’d be surprised if NFL games got more viewers worldwide than CL games, for the CL knockouts anyway.

Like I said I don’t know the viewing figures for games other than the final but I’d be surprised if NFL games got more viewers worldwide than CL games, for the CL knockouts anyway.

I'd agree. It's more than just viewing figures that count though. Purchasing power is a huge factor as is age. 18-49 is the most important demographic. They are the most likely to be influenced by adverts and sponsorship to buy products. Pay tv is also a factor that counts towards valuing the product.

In which case you need to use the playoff games for comparison. Those would have been significantly more than 17m.

Eventually the 'muricans will realise that the civilised world does not work on their time zone. Running on UK sporting schedules massively increases worldwide viewers.

In which case you need to use the playoff games for comparison. Those would have been significantly more than 17m.

Eventually the 'muricans will realise that the civilised world does not work on their time zone. Running on UK sporting schedules massively increases worldwide viewers.

No but it does run on their money and influence in a lot of places.

No but it does run on their money and influence in a lot of places.
They have plenty of NFL games at 6pm UK time, I'll bet their worldwide viewing figures would be significantly greater at that time

PL international rights are now greater than domestic and they look to continue that way.

They have plenty of NFL games at 6pm UK time, I'll bet their worldwide viewing figures would be significantly greater at that time

PL international rights are now greater than domestic and they look to continue that way.
Yep we get up early to watch World Cup games, just an excuse to get on the tinkle early.

I see Heineken have built on their minority stake in Beavertown to now buyout the company entirely.
I'd hope this doesn't have any impact on the presence of the stadium micro-brewery.

I see Heineken have built on their minority stake in Beavertown to now buyout the company entirely.
I'd hope this doesn't have any impact on the presence of the stadium micro-brewery.

I noticed that as well, I don't think it will, as it seems the major breweries are buying up the micro ones. It is probably a good thing for them with the production costs about to go sky high they at least have some major backing to keep them afloat for a while. But in the longer term Heineken will rebrand them.

What happened to this:

totskybar.jpg

Those who've been on the stadium tour, do you get to see it? Not like Levy to abandon latent revenue.

Back