• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

I have definitely not been Carroll's biggest fan in the past but I do not want to appear a hypocrite so I will back Tom the way I have backed Rose and Son when they were experiencing rough patches. He looked very good yesterday but I am mindful it was only Gillingham. I am now hoping that his sharpness of mind will make up for lack of physicality and that if given the chance he can one day produce that kind of performance against a premier league team

Could not agree more, he is a lovely player and he gives us something we lack and along side Winks last night we saw him control the CM and he was always moving and looking for the next pass.

I almost got into a little truffle with a fellow yid at Emirates Marketing Project away last year when we brought Carroll on, my GHod the amount of abuse this bloke was shouting at this young lad was just outrageous. If i recall he played very well for the 20 mins he was on.

I almost got into a little truffle with a fellow yid at Emirates Marketing Project away last year when we brought Carroll on, my GHod the amount of abuse this bloke was shouting at this young lad was just outrageous. If i recall he played very well for the 20 mins he was on.

All clubs have macarons and we are no different. I have had a few words with some myself but to be honest they are usually with those at the Lane.

All clubs have macarons and we are no different. I have had a few words with some myself but to be honest they are usually with those at the Lane.

It is why I only sit in the West stand these days, you get a better class of person in there away from the plebs. Not sure where to sit next year, I guess Club Wembley seats, I hear they do a nice lunch.

Swansea bound.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Makes sense - he quietly impressed the last time he went there, iirc. That's sort of his level, I think - a lower mid-table/mid-table top flight side that needs a player to distribute the ball quickly, intelligently and efficiently.

Good level to reach, all things considered, and I'm glad that recent Spurs academy grads (who were sorted by their technicality as opposed to their size and strength long before other Prem clubs started using that approach, iirc) are finding good roles across the Premier League and upper Championship - Townsend, Mason, Livermore, Pritchard et al. I can only hope that the players from our current crop of youngsters who find themselves unable to secure roles at the club can drop into similarly good roles elsewhere.

Makes sense - he quietly impressed the last time he went there, iirc. That's sort of his level, I think - a lower mid-table/mid-table top flight side that needs a player to distribute the ball quickly, intelligently and efficiently.

Good level to reach, all things considered, and I'm glad that recent Spurs academy grads (who were sorted by their technicality as opposed to their size and strength long before other Prem clubs started using that approach, iirc) are finding good roles across the Premier League and upper Championship - Townsend, Mason, Livermore, Pritchard et al. I can only hope that the players from our current crop of youngsters who find themselves unable to secure roles at the club can drop into similarly good roles elsewhere.

Do you think he just got overtaken by Winks et al? Have there been any sulks from him, or other moodiness? He doesn't come across as that type of guy.

Do you think he just got overtaken by Winks et al? Have there been any sulks from him, or other moodiness? He doesn't come across as that type of guy.

No, I don't think he's (as yet) been overtaken by Winks - they're very similar players, to my mind, and Carroll might even be better in some areas (particularly slide-rule passes to the flanks/runners down the middle, which Carroll can do and Winks hasn't yet proven capable of consistently doing). But I do think Winks is now preferred over him because of the age difference between him and Tom (I think four-odd years separate the two), which is seemingly crucial in Poch's eyes - because that indicates that Winks can spend those formative years learning Poch's system down to a tee. Now, Carroll's still only 24 going on 25 - still young enough to learn, of course. But why do that when Winks (a very similar player) is around with a potentially higher ceiling by dint of his younger age?

Ultimately, Carroll needs to play consistently now to start getting the most out of his career, and he won't get that here given the advantages Winks offers to Poch in terms of medium-term planning. He's not going to be our Dembele/Eriksen backup, and his archetype (quick-but-slight distributor of the ball in central midfield areas) isn't one that really fits with the powerful midfields we now like to put out. It's best for both parties that he moves on, and I think that's what looks like happening over the course of the next month. I absolutely don't think he's ever kicked up a fuss, though - and I agree that he doesn't seem like someone prone to those sorts of things. He's been professional throughout.

He's still plenty talented enough to become a Leon Britton-esque midfield distributor for Swansea or someone similar - maybe even a mid-table side like Soton if he plays his cards right. And the vast majority of footballers would love to reach the level where they only have to drop from a top four side to a side lower down in the top division of English football or perhaps at the top of the second division, so he's still got a good career ahead of him. Which is what I was pleased by - if he does end up doing that, he'll fit with our other recent academy grads like Mason, Livermore, Pritchard, Townsend Caulker et al, who went on to have good careers elsewhere despite not being able to make it at Spurs. I think it's an important motivation for our academy players to have, that. And it shows that we were right to go with technical youngsters over *only* physical youngsters, in terms of the youth-team intakes we conducted over the course of the last decade or so.

Winks has effectively overtaken both Carroll and Mason. Probably that was clear to Pochettino in the summer and that was why Mason was let go and why Carroll has had very limited chances.

I don't think there's anyway Carroll would ever be getting time in the CL or in season defining matches like against Chelsea. Poch already trusts Winks on the biggest stage, whereas Carroll got minutes against Gillingham.

Winks is assertive, aggressive and strives to be the heartbeat of the team - things Carroll just isn't/doesn't. At current rate, Winks will be keeping Dembele out of the side by the end of the season

I don't think Swansea would be a good move for Carroll. He's too delicate for the championship. He needs to go to Holland or Portugal or somewhere where the football is gentler.

8m seems about right considering what we got for Mason. If Swansea can sort their brick out and get back to how they were a few years back then this could be a good move for him - might have to take a step down in to the Championship to come back stronger but they're usually a good bet for trying to play attractive football

And the vast majority of footballers would love to reach the level where they only have to drop from a top four side to a side lower down in the top division of English football or perhaps at the top of the second division, so he's still got a good career ahead of him. Which is what I was pleased by - if he does end up doing that, he'll fit with our other recent academy grads like Mason, Livermore, Pritchard, Townsend Caulker et al, who went on to have good careers elsewhere despite not being able to make it at Spurs. I think it's an important motivation for our academy players to have, that. And it shows that we were right to go with technical youngsters over *only* physical youngsters, in terms of the youth-team intakes we conducted over the course of the last decade or so.

This .. we are showing our the value of our academy both as a success for the careers of the players, but also as a regular source of income (i.e. covering its cost at minimum) based on sales of those you listed above +Carroll is probably as successful as any academy has been minus the huge one off top player type sales. Add in what developing Kane has saved us, the club is doing well.

Bite their hands off for £3m.

I still think it's a bad move for both him and Swansea though. He's not an 'in the trenches' scrapper that they'll need this season, and next in the championship. He'd be much better off going to an AZ or Braga type club

gonad*s, the fee for Mason has been quoted between 10 -13 million and if that is right than Carroll ( who is the better player ) should be worth the same.

Back