• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

I agree and i am hoping that we get to see him have a run of games because this in/out and few minutes here/there is not giving him the chance to show what he can do. As for all this body strength cobblers ( imo) as others have said there have been many examples of small players proving their worth over the years.

I'd love to see some examples of where he has been getting knocked off the ball

From when I've seen him play be raraleg has it long enough to get tackled as he is always passing

I agree and i am hoping that we get to see him have a run of games because this in/out and few minutes here/there is not giving him the chance to show what he can do. As for all this body strength cobblers ( imo) as others have said there have been many examples of small players proving their worth over the years.

Well, that's partly my point. Modrić is hardly anybody's idea of Hercules, but he's not easy to dispossess, either. As GB says, he's tough in the same way Ardiles was. Carroll has a way to go in that department, but I'm hoping he can get there.

I've always liked Carroll (and I've got the posts to prove it). He's not Dembele. He's not Dele Alli. But with the right players around him, he keeps the game ticking over in a constructive way, and he has great vision.
Personally, I think the strength/stature argument is only relevant if a player is being asked to do a job that requires those attributes. Carroll is quite capable of holding is own enough to allow him to receive and distribute the ball -especially in an era where refs are tougher on tackling.

I'd love to see some examples of where he has been getting knocked off the ball

From when I've seen him play be raraleg has it long enough to get tackled as he is always passing

Its a fallacy put out there my those who rarely see him, he's a different player then what you see on the box as he is always moving and finding space. His passing is far better then either the two we got rid of and IF he had got as many games as they did some attitudes about what type of player he is would probably be different.

Well, that's partly my point. Modrić is hardly anybody's idea of Hercules, but he's not easy to dispossess, either. As GB says, he's tough in the same way Ardiles was. Carroll has a way to go in that department, but I'm hoping he can get there.

i do not disagree, however Modric and Ossie were world class, i doubt that Carroll will ever reach that high but i think he a far better player then some reckon. We shall see.

One challenge for Carroll is fitting into a 4-2-3-1 . Poch prefers Dembele and Wanayama + Dier. It's not that Carroll couldn't be effective as the less defensive of two DMs but Poch isn't going to play him there.
He is wasted out wide. and there is a lot of competition for the #10 spot.

I think Carroll would be best in a three man central midfield, with two midfielders (one of them Carroll) in front of a DM. A 3-5-2/3-5-1-1 would suit him better, for example. I think this formation is becoming more popular. But not sure Poch is likely to use it much, if at all.

I think the ideal role for him is 85th minute sub for an AM when we are protecting a 1 goal lead. Just have him keep possession with lots of nice and safe sideways passes to run the clock down. It's what he did against Palace the other week IIRC.

I think the ideal role for him is 85th minute sub for an AM when we are protecting a 1 goal lead. Just have him keep possession with lots of nice and safe sideways passes to run the clock down. It's what he did against Palace the other week IIRC.
I'll forgive you... I know you are still grieving....if it eases the pain..

Carroll is a very good player technically
He isn't a defensive midfielder but he is certainly a creative passer
He won't make it for us as he doesn't suit the way Poch plays but he will be a solid addition to any good footballing premier league side

Last edited:
I believe Carroll is a very good player and needs to play in a central attacking role, it's difficult to get him in the team long enough to see him prove this. He only comes on as a sub or starts in weaker teams. He's never been a prolific scorer but he's taken all the goals he has scored very coolly.

Wow, didn't see that one coming. Not sure what his role in the team is supposed to be, but if Poch wants him to stay he has my blessing (not that he needs it mind)

i like and rate Carroll but i didn't see this coming, thought he would at the very best get the season to try and earn a new contract but ultimately not get enough minutes to make the grade and walk away on a free next summer.

could just be a move by the the club to ensure they get a transfer fee, but hopefully that's nothing more than a bit cynicism and he steps up and gets the chance to show what he can do

i like and rate Carroll but i didn't see this coming, thought he would at the very best get the season to try and earn a new contract but ultimately not get enough minutes to make the grade and walk away on a free next summer.

could just be a move by the the club to ensure they get a transfer fee, but hopefully that's nothing more than a bit cynicism and he steps up and gets the chance to show what he can do

Think you are 100% right there.
Worst case scenario: he doesn't progress much, he gets a pay-rise, and we get a decent Pritchard-esque fee.
Best case: He progresses and forces his way into the team and is a potential long-term back-up to Dembele. Sure, that's not likely, but crazier stuff has happened at the club.

Back