• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

There is no way he can be allowed to stay at the club if Levy brings in a new manager. Levy has to say thanks for the help but its time for you to look elsewhere for a job. Ferdinand too.

I'm not so sure. The development squad were doing well under him before. It is his working relationship with Levy, Baldini and his coaching staff that should probably determine whether he could go back to the role.

Sherwood is a lame duck now. He knows it and we know it. Trying to pick some positives out of his time I would have to say Bentaleb's emergence and bringing Ade back into the fold are in the plus column. Performances have been going downhill for a while now and it's because of his desperation to keep the job he's made erratic decisions in a vain attempt to stumble across the magic formula IMO. He didn't find it and the strain is clearly showing in his sometimes ill advised comments to the media, but I would love to see him accept the reality of his situation and do some good for the club in his remaining matches.

I would like to see these three Chadli/Eriksen/Lamela behind Soldado for a few matches and try and help him find his scoring form and a bit confidence going into the summer. I'd also like to see Fryers given more time at LB, and a few other off form players given a few games without the risk of being benched.

at this point, i do not want us in Europe next season. with the quality of the players in our squad and if we can get LVG in next season, without the distraction of thursday night footy which will give LVG more time to mold a proper team ethic, i genuinely believe we can attain a CL spot the following year.

I disagree. For me:

- The EL will give LVG a perfect chance to get his system embedded in a less high pressure situation

- You can't keep a squad the size you need to compete for the top 4 if you don't have European football. European competing team can maybe keep a squad of 22 senior players. Non-European competing teams probably have to drop down nearer 18. Liverpool's smaller senior squad have been so lucky with injuries it is ridiculous. That wouldn't happen with us.

- I don't really see the difference between EL and CL. How can you want one but not the other? I want us to win things. I don't want us to concentrate on Wenger's 'top 4 trophy'.

I'm not so sure. The development squad were doing well under him before. It is his working relationship with Levy, Baldini and his coaching staff that should probably determine whether he could go back to the role.

He inherited the excellent setup Inglethorp and McDermott had built over 5 years and didn't manage to balls it up in his 15 months in charge.

His latest thing was that he wants Baldini's job anyway.

Wait, so there wasn't a technical mismatch against Liverpool?

That is a relief to hear, because before now I had this notion that they were technically excellent and we were technically atrocious. Glad to hear I've been mistaken on that.

Clearly, there was; I, for one, couldn't disagree with Sherwood there at all, and in fact, I've been saying all season that we've too many technically average players. On the other hand, if I were Levy, I might consider myself entitled to ask why, if that's the case, I was being flannelled in December and January that the squad was good enough for top 4.

It's quite similar to how Pleat's position became untenable after 2003/4. There was no way he could move back to his old role after that caretaker stint.

I don't agree. In 2003/4 Pleat had been responsible for assembling a poor squad and we needed wholesale changes behind the scenes for the club to move forwards. In other words, the area which Pleat had been responsible for before becoming caretaker was the problem.

In 2013/14 Sherwood was responsible for a successful development squad. We have produced a steady stream of Premier League/Championship quality players, are doing well in competitions and seemingly recruiting/attracting quality youth players. We can argue where/when this started but the fact is it was continuing to work well under Sherwood.

This is a completely different scenario to 2003/4. Whether Sherwood could or should step back his old role is more to do with his ambitions and his working relationship with his team and those he reports to. I have no idea what those are like or if they have been affected by his stint in charge of the first team.

He's definitely not doing himself any favours saying stuff like that. We were "technically mismatched" against Liverpool, so we might as well have not showed up? What the hell?

This is what annoys me about this season? Sherwood claims we are technically mismatched, so this justifies getting pummelled by Chelsea & Liverpool 4-0 and Emirates Marketing Project 5-1.

How come then, that West Ham, who probably have a much bigger gap to bridge technically than we do, can give these clubs a tough game, were unfortunate to lose to Liverpool yesterday narrowly and got a draw at Stamford Bridge? How come Villa dominated and beat Chelsea?

It's like EVERY OTHER team in the division are better at playing the top teams than we are. To me its about how the manager sets us out, mentally and tactically.

Sherwood has no coaching qualifications and no managerial experience. The guy is going up against Mourinho, Pellegrini, Rogers and Wenger and just winging it. No wonder we're getting pummelled out of sight by these teams.

I think he will more than likely be seeking a management job elsewhere come the summer. He doesn't seem the kind of guy that would quietly go back to his old role.

This is what annoys me about this season? Sherwood claims we are technically mismatched, so this justifies getting pummelled by Chelsea & Liverpool 4-0 and Emirates Marketing Project 5-1.

How come then, that West Ham, who probably have a much bigger gap to bridge technically than we do, can give these clubs a tough game, were unfortunate to lose to Liverpool yesterday narrowly and got a draw at Stamford Bridge? How come Villa dominated and beat Chelsea?

It's like EVERY OTHER team in the division are better at playing the top teams than we are. To me its about how the manager sets us out, mentally and tactically.

Sherwood has no coaching qualifications and no managerial experience. The guy is going up against Mourinho, Pellegrini, Rogers and Wenger and just winging it. No wonder we're getting pummelled out of sight by these teams.

I think fans need to decide what they want though. When we have 'system' managers, and we go through bad form, there is ALWAYS a load of complaints that the players are too restricted, the tactics are too rigid, the football is not entertaining, there is no Plan B, the system is not adaptable enough etc etc. Then we get a 'give the players the freedom to express themselves' type manager and everything is hunky dory for a bit, we beat the teams we have better players than, and lose to teams that have better players than us.

No doubt we should be giving the top 4 a better game, and with better coaching we could have been up there ourselves, or at least a lot closer to them. But it seems like the fans, and the club, can't see through the tough times to get to the good stuff. The reason we are looking so bad is because we built a squad to play well in a system, but who don't have the individual flair in enough abundance to do well when given the freedom.

Neither approach is bad. To give players freedom doesn't mean you are winging it and to give them a system does not been you are being overly restrictive. We need to decide what kind of club we want to be and be happy with it.

I think fans need to decide what they want though. When we have 'system' managers, and we go through bad form, there is ALWAYS a load of complaints that the players are too restricted, the tactics are too rigid, the football is not entertaining, there is no Plan B, the system is not adaptable enough etc etc. Then we get a 'give the players the freedom to express themselves' type manager and everything is hunky dory for a bit, we beat the teams we have better players than, and lose to teams that have better players than us.

No doubt we should be giving the top 4 a better game, and with better coaching we could have been up there ourselves, or at least a lot closer to them. But it seems like the fans, and the club, can't see through the tough times to get to the good stuff. The reason we are looking so bad is because we built a squad to play well in a system, but who don't have the individual flair in enough abundance to do well when given the freedom.

Neither approach is bad. To give players freedom doesn't mean you are winging it and to give them a system does not been you are being overly restrictive. We need to decide what kind of club we want to be and be happy with it.

how about a bit of both....the guys currently at the top, Pellegrini, Rodgers, Wenger, Martinez all have a system they rely on but also give their players the freedom to express themselves within it

Wait, so there wasn't a technical mismatch against Liverpool?

That is a relief to hear, because before now I had this notion that they were technically excellent and we were technically atrocious. Glad to hear I've been mistaken on that.

- Being outplayed does not instantly translate into "technical mismatch"

- A team having more motivation, a better formation, a game plan, a tactic (e.g. target Rose) does not equal "technical mismatch"

- You might be closer to the truth if you call the Pool game a tactical mismatch, but then the manager might be in some way accountable.

Sherwood is really a **** version of Rednapp

- Harry was a media manipulator, on pitch was mostly a motivator, but understood that "simplifying" the game for players and letting a few very good players in the team have freedom could give great results. Harry's glass ceiling (which was high) came about once he had gotten the most individually out of his players, he wanted better players (instead of a team ethos)

- Sherwood has no idea what the **** he's doing with interviews, doesn't motivate players, did figure out more attacking players = more opportunities to score, can't get the best individually out of his players, isn't getting the team to work.

I cannot see a single reason why this guy should be managing our match today, literally I believe having no one in charge would be more beneficial (ask Ledley to pick the team sheet)

Back