• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

How much of a factor will the last 6 games be in whether he stays or not? If we play well and win 4-5 does he get another shot? I never want my team to lose and so I'll be rooting for us all the way. :~

I honestly believe I could manage our squad to 18 points in the final 6 games. If he hadn't already psychologically damaged the players, it would be easy pickings. Timmeh's already long failed his test.

I'm in this weird point at the moment where I want to make sure we get 6th and EL, make sure Timmeh is dead and buried, and make sure Moyes doesn't lose his job. It's quite a tightrope.

Reports of Levy having distanced hilself from LVG, Sherwood has given Levy a list of his transfer targets for next season - has anyone dared consider that Sherwood might actually be given next season to mould his own team?

Reports of Levy having distanced hilself from LVG, Sherwood has given Levy a list of his transfer targets for next season - has anyone dared consider that Sherwood might actually be given next season to mould his own team?

No, I know that LVG is in advanced talks with the club and bar a complete mess he will be manager

Sherwood is playing a game that he hopes will keep him in the job. Too bad it doesn't include on-pitch performances.

Saw this link

http://m.101greatgoals.com/blog/12-tweets-that-sum-up-tottenhams-season-by-tor-kristian-karlsen/

1) more than anything, there's been no basis for new (any) player to thrive this season. Unsettled environment, no clear structure post AVB

2) even players that performed well last season have had negative trend this term, which shows something's fundamentally wrong

3) which Spurs players have improved on last season? Townsend? Adebayor? Majority of the rest looking confused, unmotivated, out of sorts

4) in such a context, how can one expect any new signings to flourish? I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way

5) from the summer signings, I've seen enough of Paulinho, Eriksen, Lamela (pre joining) to know that they'd strengthen Spurs significantly

6) I was unsure/unconvinced about Chadli and Capoue back then, but Chriches - if anything - has surprised me positively

7) Soldado has become a problem, starting to look like a lost cause, but he'd profit from clearer structure to the attacking game

8) but point is: with seemingly no clear plan, strategy or stability it's completely naive to expect new signings to prosper

9) as pointed out at the time of AVB sacking, why didn't Spurs go with a manager whose system would get the best out of the summer signings?

10) by appointing an inexperienced manager Spurs seemed to give up on £60-70 million worth of player investment after five months. Bizarre.

11) and finally, what's the point of appointing a technical director when he seemingly had no influence in appointment of new manager?
When Sherwood took over I was very sceptical. He is talked up a lot, but mainly by friends of his, and it would seem now Levy took a punt on seemingly the cheapest option at the time. For me the season was written off when he took over.

Players of his generation were the last of their kind. The turn of the century heralded a new wave of football in this country, based on technical ability, based around formation structures, and showing only guts and spirit are not enough to cover up flaws and inadequacies of genuine talent. I can think of very few British midfielders from the 90s who have managed to adapt to being managers well.

I have no idea if he has the capabilities to become a competent manager, but regardless of that Spurs isn't the place to learn.

Sherwood keeps talking about giving Levy his transfer targets and how he will be the manager next year. Either he is setting himself up to be the biggest joke in football, or Levy is seriously considering keeping him, and instead setting Tottenham up to be the biggest joke in football

How much of a factor, if any, will the last 6 games be in whether he stays or not? If we play well and win 4-5 does he get another shot? I never want my team to lose and so I'll be rooting for us all the way. :~

I don't think Levy knows. I think he's genuinely conflicted between bringing in another Hail Mary coach like LvG, and trying something totally different based on youth, academy and internal promotion.

I honestly see the benefits of both, but I marginally favour the latter. I guess an ideal world would be a mix of the two - get LvG in to do the foundation work and then pass it on. I'm just not sure LvG would fancy coming in to work on someone else's grand plan and not his own. And the likes of Prandelli aren't a good fit for that kind of grass-roots job. Pocetinho would be a good fit, but his CV doesn't yet tell us whether he's a Mourinho or an AVB. After getting burned on AVB, you could see why Levy would be wary.

All of that is the reason Sherwood is still in the frame, not any particular boner Levy has for him I don't think.

I would assume that, all things being equal, Levy would prefer to keep Sherwood, for several reasons. He appointed him, he's already signed, he's cheaper, he would be here right from the start of off-season, knows the place, knows the players, etc. Now, not saying Sherwood is the best choice. But if we have a good run-in and finish high(ish) then I think Levy could make a case for keeping him and getting him some of 'his' players in (from a shopping list that Sherwood has allegedly already turned in, and which I imagine doesn't involve massive spending/unrealistic big names). Just wondering...if we had won at Pool, and with the run-in we have, would everyone still want Sherwood out?

Last edited:

Sherwood could easily be in the picture but not the main coach. He's already taken a shot across Baldini's bow so it seems he's angling for that job as a fall back . If he is this wormtounge character behind the scenes then by rights we should be rid of him, but as I don't know if that is the case then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He should swallow his pride and get involved in LVG's coaching setup in some capacity. Learn his trade from a master. There is plenty of time for him to be number one at this club or another.

Sherwood could easily be in the picture but not the main coach. He's already taken a shot across Baldini's bow so it seems he's angling for that job as a fall back . If he is this wormtounge character behind the scenes then by rights we should be rid of him, but as I don't know if that is the case then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He should swallow his pride and get involved in LVG's coaching setup in some capacity. Learn his trade from a master. There is plenty of time for him to be number one at this club or another.

Something about him makes me doubt this ever happening

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/04...join-tottenham-hotspur-coaching-staff/134168/

Best place for this I guess, but our coaching team has grown once more with ex-player Allan Nielsen coming in to help with the midfield. From the interview here it seems that Sherwood is recruiting former pro's to develop different areas of our teams play. Not sure what I think of the idea, but I thought the coach was meant to develop the team as a whole. Maybe breaking down the play into sessions taken by certain coaches can work but I just get a feeling that it could leave us more dis-jointed.

I've been saying it since AVB was fired, but if we finish above Man Utd, I still think they'll ditch Moyes. And in that situation, I suspect LvG will jump at the chance to manage at Old Trafford (and I suspect they'd offer it to him too).

People shouldn't be getting their hopes up in my view.

Ferdinand, Cole, Lescott, Barry, Milner, Livermore, Caulker - journeymen English hoofers with limited technical ability but loads of heart clogging it about in a 4-4-2. Glory ****ing glory...

Unless LVG was a done deal a long time ago (gentlemans agreement or something else) and the rest is all just media speculation.

I don't see why LvG and youth promotion/developing existing talent are being regarded as mutually exclusive? Nothing that I have read about LvG suggests he is anything remotely approaching the realms of cheque book manager.

I couldn't handle watching Rogers directing the show from the touchline and seeing Tim in the stands. Normally managers sit in the stands whilst they are serving an enforced ban. It is a punishment seen as detrimental to the manager's ability to manage his team. This priick actually chooses to do it.

If we can't get a LvG for whatever reason, there's plenty of managers we could get in just from the Bundesliga (that and the Austrian Bundesliga are the leagues I see most of). Thomas Tuchel would be a very good shout if we're after someone in the Klopp mould, Lucien Favre would be possibly my top candidate anyway, Dieter Hecking did a great job at Nuremberg and is now popular at Wolfsberg, even Markus Weinzierl at Augsburg is a rising coach doing really good things with an unfancied team.

In addition i'd have Rafa Benitez ahead of Sherwood, possibly even Roger Schmidt at Salzburg (even though his only previous experience of note was a successful stint with Paderborn in the second division).

But then again I'd genuinely rather have Steve Burce or Tony Pulis than Sherwood. He just isn't a manager and its painful to watch (or not watch when the camera focusses on the dugout).

[video=youtube;TMeVnxl-Jy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMeVnxl-Jy0[/video]

[video=youtube;TMeVnxl-Jy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMeVnxl-Jy0[/video]

These people are bloody buggery brilliant. And with the season we're having they are the highlight for me. Along with the songs at the Etihad the two posted on here are amazing.

I would guess that it was to attempt to:

a) get some sort of continuity

b) have somebody taking over who already knew the capabilities of the players in both the first team squad and development squad.​

Additionally we all have no idea of the penalty clauses (on either side) if Sherwood's contract is ended prior to completion of the 18 months. It wouldn't surprise me if Sherwood's wages for 6 months, plus early termination payout equates to less than what (say) Hoddle wanted for those same six months.

I think the best solution for continuity would have been to keep the manager. Failing that, someone from his staff would have been a good bet.

Regarding knowing the capabilities of players, I think Sherwood has already mentioned that there were players he knew nothing about. His selection policy to date also seems like that of someone who has not seen the first team play much.

As for Hoddle's wages, I don't think he's in a bargaining position currently - he has the odd punditry gig but we could have allowed him to continue that.

I think the best solution for continuity would have been to keep the manager. Failing that, someone from his staff would have been a good bet.

Regarding knowing the capabilities of players, I think Sherwood has already mentioned that there were players he knew nothing about. His selection policy to date also seems like that of someone who has not seen the first team play much.

As for Hoddle's wages, I don't think he's in a bargaining position currently - he has the odd punditry gig but we could have allowed him to continue that.

I think that perhaps the big problem with keeping AVB was with him not really wanting to stay. Several reports seemed to suggest that AVB was given the opportunity to save his job but didn't really want to. Also many of the performances had been pretty dire (similar to our recent ones). In terms of the job going to one of his staff - I'm not sure there was anyone who could've taken over. The coaches that he brought in with him seemed to be very low profile and also probably loyal to AVB anyway. I guess the only real option there was Freund and perhaps Sherwood was considered to be a better option?

I didn't read too much into Sherwood's throwaway comments about Capoue to be honest. Also I think that a fair amount of his selection policy has been necessitated by injuries (note that I said a 'fair amount' here and not 'all of').

You may be right about Hoddle, you may be wrong - I guess we'll never know (unless he/Levy bring out an autobiography) However an 18 month contract for Sherwood always implied to me that he would be here for the rest of this season only. Also he neither bought nor sold anyone in January so the new manager (whoever he may be) will have the same set of players as AVB/Sherwood to work with next season (with hopefully far better results than both of them).

Back