• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Wenger Song

And another thing we have plenty of songs that could be sung but most include either a naughty word are insulting a certain individual, songs therefor which are frowned upon by the new breed of fans going to the lane.

What about the Kop at Anfield? That's a section famed for its fans, yet in this modern day you can hear a pin drop if it's not the big games. Ours will be a bit bigger if built, I believe. The difference between us and Dortmund is that they are allowed to stand and sing - and this combined with cheap tickets creates a singing culture. This means that even when the Sudtribune is at reduced capacity for European games, there is still a terrific atmosphere. Large banners, flags, drums and instruments are banned at the Lane, leaving the fan experience rather bland and grey.

The supporters in this country don't have enough power. The Lane (or new ground) will never have a consistently good atmosphere without integration and backing from the club, authorities and stewards. That coupled with the Spurs 'faithful' to actually grow some balls and try singing some different songs, get behind the team no matter what scoreline and not expecting to be entertained.

I just can't see a new ground doing anything if the prices remain the same.

In fairness, it's very hard to argue with anything you've said here PLJ. I am an eternal optimist/idealist, and I want to believe you're wrong, but sadly, you're probably a realist who's right on this one...I mean, I HOPE you're proven wrong, but yeah, I won't hold my breath...:(

It's actually got to a point now where I will attend an NLD and for the first time be wary of a camera/copper/steward hassling me for saying a naughty word. Don't think it will stop me to be fair, but I will certainly be a bit more careful/wear a thin scarf across my mouth, etc, etc...as for the Wenger song, it's an excellent question. I think it's very very funny BUT if I step outside the football ground, I think it's actually not very nice or clever at all. A definite quandary...it's like the one which goes 'French Jimmy Savile' which again is (at the base of it all) an absolute disgrace and not funny at all, however I would be a liar if I didn't admit that when I first heard it I laughed. The difference between banter and abusive chanting is a fine line...Dave Jones suffered awful accusations and as such, I feel songs about his ordeal are awful. Yet I somehow find the Wenger ones 'harmless' because, well, the accusation is so ludicrous that it doesn't bear serious thought? Again, the question posed originally is a great one, and I shall be giving it some serious thought...

Just going back to the discussion about our new stadium, I hope when the season tickets are allocated, they do so sensibly and give people the chance to declare themselves 'singers' or 'not'.

The problem at the moment is a lot of people who would like to contribute to the atmosphere are sitting in areas where others around them won't join in.

Declare yourself at the start, have all those who declared positioned as close to each other as possible (ideally on this new kop thing) and then perhaps a bit of the old magic will come back.

This. Sunday matches have always been bad for atmosphere, and a this playing derbies early so we don't have time to get tinkled is ridiculous.

The two-bob cup has a further reaching effect than just tired players - Sunday matches are just brick. The sooner we jack in that pointless contest the better.

Can we please "jack in that pointless contest" after ive been to Maribor tomorrow and Lazio later next month.
Thanks.

Can we please "jack in that pointless contest" after ive been to Maribor tomorrow and Lazio later next month.
Thanks.

I'm not criticising individual games - an away match in Europe can be as exciting as anything at home. It's the competition that's brick. UEFA need to reduce the numer of matches, schedule the matches for Tuesday/Wednesday and we need to ban ITV4 from broadcasting and everything will be a lot better.

I'm not criticising individual games - an away match in Europe can be as exciting as anything at home. It's the competition that's brick. UEFA need to reduce the numer of matches, schedule the matches for Tuesday/Wednesday and we need to ban ITV4 from broadcasting and everything will be a lot better.

Scrapping the group stages would be much better. That would immediately force clubs to put out better teams in fear of going out.

Winners get a CL place.

Overnight this would sort out the Europa League, improve competitiveness in every single European league, as well as our own domestic cups.

I was at the Lane for the Arsenal game in April 2010. I had the pleasure of seeing the Danny Rose goal, the emergence of Bale and us finally end the decade plus hoodoo that that lot had over us. It was the game that very much put us the road to fourth that season. It was a balmy night and the atmosphere was absolutely electric, the best that I have ever experienced. It was a near perfect experience, made all the better by the fact my gooner brother was sitting next to me, among the Spurs faithful. The only sour point was that bloody song, which was sung regularly and enthusiastically by a large section of the crowd. There are plenty of things that make me proud to be Spurs but that certainly isn't one of them.

Back