• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Wenger Song

Gordinho

Banned
In light of all the criticism of other fans behaviour as discussed elsewhere on this board will the Wenger song ever be sung again at WHL?

I'm wondering if we'll ever hear anything other than "oh when the Spurs" and "Come on you Spurs" ever sung at WHL again. The atmosphere is getting worse and worse every game.

There are enough macarons to get any song going, even the most cringeworthy ones. Just like the old version of the Adebayor song.

It certainly highlights how many of our chants are vitriol focused-mostly due tto our crapness throughout the 90s and early 00s.

Good time for most of us to look in the mirror

I'm wondering if we'll ever hear anything other than "oh when the Spurs" and "Come on you Spurs" ever sung at WHL again. The atmosphere is getting worse and worse every game.

Its embarrassing how bad the atmosphere has got over the last couple of years at WHL. We've had the best football we've seen in years with the worst atmosphere. Doesn't make sense but i guess the better the team the more jonny come latelys and japanese tourists we'll attract

Its embarrassing how bad the atmosphere has got over the last couple of years at WHL. We've had the best football we've seen in years with the worst atmosphere. Doesn't make sense but i guess the better the team the more jonny come latelys and japanese tourists we'll attract

Outside the club shop yesterday was a group of about 100 Japs, fully kitted out in Spurs stuff, about 5 bags each from the shop, its all about the ££££££££££££££££

Outside the club shop yesterday was a group of about 100 Japs, fully kitted out in Spurs stuff, about 5 bags each from the shop, its all about the ££££££££££££££££

Would be interesting to know if those complaining about high prices and tourists ever complain about Levy not spending enough.

I was sat in the East Stand close to the Paxton End in the last game of the season agains Brum a couple of season's back, and I had people literally turning around in shock when I screamed my lungs out for a couple of bad refereeing decisions. I'm a tourist myself, I'm from Norway, but I've been following Spurs since 1991, and been over to The Lane since 1998, and it's really become a lot worse in sense of atmosphere the last two years. Was sat in the Shelfside the last game I saw, and no one around me was singing! Brought my girlfriend for the first time for her to experience the atmosphere, but there were basically just me and a few other chaps around me singing from the Shelf. Park Lane was decent though, but not as loud as they used to be.

People are getting complacent. I wonder what it will take to turn it around.

I was sat in the East Stand close to the Paxton End in the last game of the season agains Brum a couple of season's back, and I had people literally turning around in shock when I screamed my lungs out for a couple of bad refereeing decisions. I'm a tourist myself, I'm from Norway, but I've been following Spurs since 1991, and been over to The Lane since 1998, and it's really become a lot worse in sense of atmosphere the last two years. Was sat in the Shelfside the last game I saw, and no one around me was singing! Brought my girlfriend for the first time for her to experience the atmosphere, but there were basically just me and a few other chaps around me singing from the Shelf. Park Lane was decent though, but not as loud as they used to be.

People are getting complacent. I wonder what it will take to turn it around.

Having early kick offs and Sunday games far more frequently doesnt help but i get the feeling its more than that

I was slap bang in the middle of the park lane yesterday and thought it was dire for a derby game bar the short period we were 2-1 up

I just really don't know whats happening with everyone. I remember not so long ago I'd lose my voice because of constant singing, not just in the big games, but also the games against the 'brick' teams. I remember the Norwich game from a few years ago (the one with the Ledley tackle on Huckerby) a dour 0-0 yet the whole park lane was rocking for the whole 90 minutes. Even the 0-0 vs Wigan in the 2 from 8 run I remember the PL relentlessly singing 'we are tottenham, super tottenham..' for the whole 2nd half

Has the clientele changed? Is the lack of the drum a factor? Are people embarrassed to sing?! do people just turn up and expect us to turn over any opposition that comes to the lane while we just sit back and watch? I really hope the 1882 movement picks up some real pace and a whole block becomes the dedicated sing your fudgein heart out block, although its a shame its come to having to set up a movement just get people to give the team a bit of encouragement.

I just really don't know whats happening with everyone. I remember not so long ago I'd lose my voice because of constant singing, not just in the big games, but also the games against the 'brick' teams. I remember the Norwich game from a few years ago (the one with the Ledley tackle on Huckerby) a dour 0-0 yet the whole park lane was rocking for the whole 90 minutes. Even the 0-0 vs Wigan in the 2 from 8 run I remember the PL relentlessly singing 'we are tottenham, super tottenham..' for the whole 2nd half

Has the clientele changed? Is the lack of the drum a factor? Are people embarrassed to sing?! do people just turn up and expect us to turn over any opposition that comes to the lane while we just sit back and watch? I really hope the 1882 movement picks up some real pace and a whole block becomes the dedicated sing your fudgein heart out block, although its a shame its come to having to set up a movement just get people to give the team a bit of encouragement.

Maybe it's because a lot of them games were at a time when we weren't playing great stuff that there was more singing and people trying enjoy/generate an atmosphere?

Nowadays we are obviously playing better football, have more attacking threat etc so in theory there's less people trying to get the team going. Hard to explain but when you constantly have a lot of possession for example every single time either Bale or Lennon gets the ball most people are too busy anticipating something happening and the chant dies out. Things like ''Come on you Spurs'' often come out after we're under the cosh for a couple a mins.

A few years back maybe there would have been more poor games where there was greater periods where nothing was happening, or we were losing, or other teams had more of the ball so there might have been more incentive to get something going?

That's one of my crazy theories anyway.. probably bo**ocks lol

(Maybe the teams that play the worse football generally have the better atmospheres.. Stoke for example) Maybe some research is needed haha

Last edited:
Having early kick offs and Sunday games far more frequently doesnt help but i get the feeling its more than that

This. Sunday matches have always been bad for atmosphere, and a this playing derbies early so we don't have time to get tinkled is ridiculous.

The two-bob cup has a further reaching effect than just tired players - Sunday matches are just brick. The sooner we jack in that pointless contest the better.

There's a big difference though:

- With Wenger it's just a bit of fun because of how he looks. No one really takes it seriously.

- Dave Jones was once prosecuted for child abuse (and totally cleared - his accuser admitted he made it up to try and win some compensation money). Therefore the chants towards him are too close to the bone because he's been a victim in a real case.

There's a big difference though:

- With Wenger it's just a bit of fun because of how he looks. No one really takes it seriously.

I used to think that too, but there was a more sinister origin to it.

No sooner had Wenger set foot in England than a grotesque rumour swiftly mushroomed on the internet that the new saviour of Islington had a highly deviant sex life involving not only women, not even just men, but also children. Without repeating the content of the rumour itself, newspapers passed on the fact that a rumour of a plainly damaging nature was in circulation.

According to one eye-witness, Wenger was "incandescent with a white-hot rage" when he heard about it. But at least in France one of these rumours was in fact old hat. "During the seven years we were here we were always together, except at night, and people thought we were homosexuals!" says Jean Petit, his assistant coach at Monaco, and one of his closest friends.

There was a home game for the reserve team that day. Fans were gathering outside the stadium, and they congregated around a group of press - some football writers, other news reporters, and a television news team - who were waiting outside the stadium for an official comment from within the club. Meanwhile, inside, it was made clear to a distraught Wenger that in England he could not simply sue the newspapers for libel unless they specifically published the charge made against him. He did, however, rapidly take on board, when it was explained to him, that he could sue for slander if any of the reporters outside could be persuaded to put a name to the rumour in front of witnesses. Against the advice of Dein, and to the alarm of the press officer Clare Tomlinson, whose own first day in the job this was, he went outside onto the steps of Highbury's famous old marble hall and confronted them.

This was an act of considerable bravery. According to Adams, Wenger "hates confrontation", and here was a confrontation before he had taken charge of a single game. For all the press knew, he was about to resign. Instead, he asked them why they were there. When someone referred to unspecified rumours, Wenger said, "What rumours?" No one spoke. The journalists, feeling hampered by the presence of the fans, asked if they could come inside the stadium and have a private press conference. Tomlinson refused. Facing the realisation that they had nothing to go on, the press slunk away. Wenger had killed the story stone-dead.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/aug/18/sport.comment

Probably explains why his team is always so fired up when they play us. How many times do you watch Arsenal and they dominate games but can't score. All their chances seem to go in when they play us.

Back