• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Wenger Song

In Australia they call the Pakistan cricket team the Pakis...

I'm not saying it's right but there are grey areas when it comes to shortening nationalities.

What about the Kop at Anfield? That's a section famed for its fans, yet in this modern day you can hear a pin drop if it's not the big games. Ours will be a bit bigger if built, I believe. The difference between us and Dortmund is that they are allowed to stand and sing - and this combined with cheap tickets creates a singing culture. This means that even when the Sudtribune is at reduced capacity for European games, there is still a terrific atmosphere. Large banners, flags, drums and instruments are banned at the Lane, leaving the fan experience rather bland and grey.

The supporters in this country don't have enough power. The Lane (or new ground) will never have a consistently good atmosphere without integration and backing from the club, authorities and stewards. That coupled with the Spurs 'faithful' to actually grow some balls and try singing some different songs, get behind the team no matter what scoreline and not expecting to be entertained.

I just can't see a new ground doing anything if the prices remain the same.

Problem at Anfield is that the Kop has more tourists than "hardcore" supporters. Arsenal and City both ballsed up their stadium moves by spreading people all over the place. You need to get all those that want to sing in the same area. A Kop would be very useful, but in the end it's the club that need to put some effort into the move.

I take it you do not have any Japanese friends or work colleagues.

Jap like Paki is a disparaging and offensive term.

Danes come from Denmark, Swedes come from Sweden, Scots come from Scotland...............but Japs dont come from Japan.

In Australia they call the Pakistan cricket team the Pakis...

I'm not saying it's right but there are grey areas when it comes to shortening nationalities.

The english cricket team have referred to them as Paki's in the past too and no one has batted an eyelid. Actually people from Pakistan have no problem with being called Paki, it simply became a "racist" term in this country when people of any Asian origon were labelled "a paki".

Most people do.

As a rule, if the "people group" don't use the term themselves I'd avoid using it.

Brits, Aussies probably ok.
Yanks, Itis, Frenchies, probably not.

While times change and it can be difficult to remain 100% politically correct, people always appreciate effort and resent ignorance.

A good rule. I'd put Yanks in a middle group along with Poms and possibly Frenchies. These are more condescending put-downs than outright insults and can be fine in some contexts.

Japs, Itis, Krauts and such are always insulting

Pakistanis in Yorkshire call each other Pakis. I agree its a racist term though. Because Asians take offence.

It has been used a lot as an derogatory way of describing an "Indian" Asian. That's the category most people would probably choose to put me in and I find the word wholly offensive, even if used "in jest".

Wonder if we can get "Brits" outlawed.

Why would you want to do that?

I'm not saying its necessarily a bad idea, just wondering what logical reason you could offer as to why that word should be outlawed. Because I have never, ever come across someone who is offended by the word "Brits".

Why would you want to do that?

I'm not saying its necessarily a bad idea, just wondering what logical reason you could offer as to why that word should be outlawed. Because I have never, ever come across someone who is offended by the word "Brits".

I am. I'm English NOT British.

If you are English then you are also British, like it or not.
Simple matter of geography I'm afraid.

However , I can see why you would therefore not like being called a "Brit". Fair enough.

It might say it on my passport but I have or never will call myself British. I'm proud to be English fudge the rest IMHO.

The thing I've noticed about the Lane is that bar the big nights/days, it simply has an air of entitlement and blasé about it. Generally speaking, people don't seem to particularly enjoy it more than they just 'go' because that's what they 'do'...add to that the fact that half the crowd is made up of people who really don't APPRECIATE the stadium, the tradition or the team, and you're left with a crowd that 'expects' to win 'every' game and gets fudged off at the slightest problem.

Away days are that. Days out. You get excited about it in the old skool way, it's a journey, it's about brick stops on the motorway, it's about pints before the game and signing loudly because you are outnumbered, it's about banter, it's about the vibe...I fudging LOVE the away days I manage to enjoy in a season, they are the lifeblood of my year!

The new stadium, with it's 'kop' should make a massive difference. I hope so. We need something like that.

I remember my first trips to the Lane in the early/mid 70s; wooden stands heaving and creaking under the thumping feet of 40-48,000 fans as the songs flowed freely and loudly...magic...

I was watching some german football on ITV4 (I dont watch German football) but loving the atmosphere and what I have read on here in the past was proven correct by what I watched - fantastic atmospheres etc.

What I noticed though and what they all had in common is that they got a stand they can associate with the main 'kop' as you say. We dont have that. Yeah you can argue the Shelf and Park Lane but its just a corner of the stadium and not very intimidating either. Also I think we need like a drummer or a 'leader' like in other countries. When we had the drummer the atmosphere was good especially through the bricky times.

We do have brick songs and hardly inventive. Im not creative but surely there are fanzines out there etc who may have created some songs which could get going - but how? Through this leader thing thats my view point.

I make James right on the kop can't say I hold much hope for our one. In the last few year the lane has become more and more full with people who stare at you like you're a rapist if you try getting a song going and these people will no doubt make their way to that area of the new ground as it will obviously be the area of the ground the club promote as being the trendy have to sit there area. Saturday was an all time low as far as atmosphere at the law goes.

Back