• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Space Thread

Something like that, though you can't travel faster than the speed of light. Only something that has no mass can travel at the speed of light. Has to be wormholes.
In a vacuum, yes. Particles can travel faster than light through dense material.

Information also travels faster than light. Quantum entanglement means we can send information faster than light, but it's random and therefore currently useless.

In a vacuum, yes. Particles can travel faster than light through dense material.

Information also travels faster than light. Quantum entanglement means we can send information faster than light, but it's random and therefore currently useless.
But that is only because light travels slower through materials. The speed of light, c, is constant.

How does information travel faster than light?

But that is only because light travels slower through materials. The speed of light, c, is constant.

How does information travel faster than light?
Light does, but some particles don't. Charged particles can travel faster than light through the same medium.

Entangled particles can transfer information instantly. The problem is, we need to be able to use light speed-limited methods to transfer other data that allow us to read that transmission.

It's been a while since I read anything on this but essentially two entangled particles summing to 0 (can't remember the term for this) will have opposite spin. So if one is spinning up, the other is spinning down. That's a single bit of data transferred across any distance. Problem is (this being quantum physics) that until measured, both particles are both spin up and spin down. When one is measured, that particle's state has to be transferred to the person measuring the other particle. This happens at less than light speed, but the bit being transferred between the entangled particles is instant.

I just use the iplayer.

There is obvious limitations with light as it arrives in discrete photon packets and that is it. The farther away you are the lower the flux. The only info is colour (wavelength).

So a 100 million light years away a machine might well only register one photon representing the earth a year, and then only ever from the daytime. You would not know if that was from the incipient twinkle from our antecedent amoebas eye or just a reflection.

There will be life out there. Almost impossible for there not to be. Whether there are civilisations out there capable of intergalactic travel that like to go on holiday to probe american arses is a different question though.
I think we will get some sort of notification of life this year from NASA, it will be something picked up by the James Webb

I think we will get some sort of notification of life this year from NASA, it will be something picked up by the James Webb

Possibly. I know they are checking atmospheres for certain mixture of gases that would be produced by living organisms. But how rare is life? Then how rare is complex life? Then how rare is intelligent life?

We have no idea yet.

We might not recognise it as intelligent - as I see it planetary bodies themselves are living entities. They are born die and reborn whilst the earth for example has a central nervous system and various circulatory systems.

In terms of organic life I am certain it was present next door on Mars whilst different templates on Earth may have arisen at different times.

In terms of organic life I am certain it was present next door on Mars whilst different templates on Earth may have arisen at different times.
Before the Nuclear war millions of years ago that caused the survivors to migrate to Earth

Back