• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Price of Football

It's the blind refusal to accept that the product has changed that gets me.

Yes, there may always have been a burger bar at the end of the street, but it used to be McDonalds and the burgers were only 79p, but GBK have taken over now, it's a brioche bun, it's 6oz of 100% prime beef, it's fresh salad, there's an assortment of craft lager, you're going to have to pay a bit more.

You can still afford one, but maybe not every day.

Everyone can scrape together the money for one or ticket, but should anyone expect to be able to go to every game?

You see it at a lot clubs now, STHs pick and choose which games they go to and others are left ticketless. Is that fair?

I love this analogy, total class and total sense.

Also the availability of games on tele is such now that you can argue you can stay at home for the best seat in the house

Those who are happy to watch just any game on tv might not be the ones who would go to the stadiums otherwise. If it ain't Spurs or somehow related to our position in the table, it's hard to get excited.

Those who are happy to watch just any game on tv might not be the ones who would go to the stadiums otherwise. If it ain't Spurs or somehow related to our position in the table, it's hard to get excited.

I am massively excited by where Spurs are but I accept I may not be able to get tickets and or afford them at some points in the month.

And I know people may class that as armchair but I see it as lifestyle, work, kids, money. But I don't blame spurs for it, just is what it is

It's the blind refusal to accept that the product has changed that gets me.

Yes, there may always have been a burger bar at the end of the street, but it used to be McDonalds and the burgers were only 79p, but GBK have taken over now, it's a brioche bun, it's 6oz of 100% prime beef, it's fresh salad, there's an assortment of craft lager, you're going to have to pay a bit more.
And it's not full of ASBOs

I am massively excited by where Spurs are but I accept I may not be able to get tickets and or afford them at some points in the month.

And I know people may class that as armchair but I see it as lifestyle, work, kids, money. But I don't blame spurs for it, just is what it is

they'd complain even more about doing that, as we all know, the camera adds ten pounds

so a 60,000 seater stadium is the perfect solution, it'll accommodate your "tourists" and casuals as well as "real" fans.

theres a reason why we or ie. arsenal dont make 80k seaters. there is demand for more seats, but by limiting supply they can control prices more easily. and more importantly, it protects them from fan strikes/walkouts like at anfield last week.

GHod bless MLS. I have four season tickets for Toronto FC - about 20 games in all. Each seat is $300 Canadian for the season. Can't say no pricing for six-yard box line at one end in the second level, 15 rows up. And that's with a discount for being a Year One subscriber.

They have about 21,000 season seat holders in a 30,000 seat stadium, with a top price of $1,800 for lower bowl club seats at the half way line, plus club bar and dining fees. The tunnel to the field is glass walls that club members can watch players pass by en route to the pitch or dressing rooms.

Most season seats go for over $700, about two thirds are more than $1,000. Very good food at the stadium - jerk chicken or pulled pork sandwiches, Greek souvlaki, gourmet poutine(chips, gravy and cheese curds) and good choice of beer and liquor (The El Patron tequila girls with free shots!!!) that you can enjoy at your seat.

One pound sterling is presently about $2 Canadian, so just cut those numbers in half to make it relative to UK situations. Sneer at MLS all you like, but it's a decent league getting better every year. We get to see the electrifying Atomic Ant, Sebastian Giovinco, every game, who was 2015 player of the year for MLS. He'll be part of Italy's squad at Euro 2016. Here's a link to his MLS Goal of The Year:

The commentary is provided by Nigel Reed, former BBC commentator for Liverpool games. Huge Spurs fan. Notice how he channels John Motson's famous call from Wembley in 1981(Still Ricky Veel-ya!) when he says "Still Giovinco".

And that picture you see above of Seba. Yours truly took that. I work about half the games.

You can transit into the stadium via streetcars or buses for $3 each way. Parking in the stadium area is about $20 for the game. Discrete tailgating - beer in non-clear plastic cups - is allowed. We park just off site at a lovely lakeshore park with huge maples - arrive early, unpack sandwiches and Sangria and watch sailboats, joggers and dog walkers pass by before heading into the ground for warm ups. Great day out.

Last edited:
GHod bless MLS. I have four season tickets for Toronto FC - about 20 games in all. Each seat is $300 Canadian for the season. Can't say no pricing for six-yard box line at one end in the second level, 15 rows up. And that's with a discount for being a Year One subscriber.

They have about 21,000 season seat holders in a 30,000 seat stadium, with a top price of $1,800 for lower bowl club seats at the half way line, plus club bar and dining fees. The tunnel to the field is glass walls that club members can watch players pass by en route to the pitch or dressing rooms.

Most season seats go for over $700, about two thirds are more than $1,000. Very good food at the stadium - jerk chicken or pulled pork sandwiches, Greek souvlaki, gourmet poutine(chips, gravy and cheese curds) and good choice of beer and liquor (The El Patron tequila girls with free shots!!!) that you can enjoy at your seat.

One pound sterling is presently about $2 Canadian, so just cut those numbers in half to make it relative to UK situations. Sneer at MLS all you like, but it's a decent league getting better every year. We get to see the electrifying Atomic Ant, Sebastian Giovinco, every game, who was 2015 player of the year for MLS. He'll be part of Italy's squad at Euro 2016. Here's a link to his MLS Goal of The Year:

The commentary is provided by Nigel Reed, former BBC commentator for Liverpool games. Huge Spurs fan. Notice how he channels John Motson's famous call from Wembley in 1981(Still Ricky Veel-ya!) when he says "Still Giovinco".

And that picture you see above of Seba. Yours truly took that. I work about half the games.

You can transit into the stadium via streetcars or buses for $3 each way. Parking in the stadium area is about $20 for the game. Discrete tailgating - beer in non-clear plastic cups - is allowed. We park just off site at a lovely lakeshore park with huge maples - arrive early, unpack sandwiches and Sangria and watch sailboats, joggers and dog walkers pass by before heading into the ground for warm ups. Great day out.
Jeez, you've sold me.
Nice vid as well, loved shorts around the ankles quote, nearly spat my cornflakes out.

And the fact it Toronto which is my favorite city in the world makes it even better

sorry mate, MLS is a pony league, the fact that Robbie Keane who is 5 years past his prime can still score hatfuls and Bradley Wright Phillips is a marketable commodity says it all, but you can;t go wrong going to any sporting event in this country so yeh, great "concession facilities" and the beer selection is getting really good with all the microbrews in california at least.

Aww, that's awright, B-eezer, geezer. No need to apologize. Honestly, your opinion is what it is and if you're stuck on an emotional level that requires summink superior, well, then go for it.

I'm baffled why, if MLS causes you such aggramavation, it's even worthy of one's attention or comment.

I once watched a professional lumberjacking event and came away feeling so inferior to these guys. My personal chainsaw up at the cottage was so much smaller and I could never wield it like these Sawdust Superstars. And I will never scamper up a tree in boots and steel crampons the way those guys did - like some kind of squirrel SWAT team in checked shirts. Oh, I'm getting upset just recalling it and it was only seven fffukking years ago, Gawdammit!

Aaaaannnnnd breeeee-athe.

MLS. It's not for everyone. But it's decently priced and doing OK with those who like it.

Thanks, I thought this was interesting:
Interesting that DL is worried that fixing away ticket prices centrally might then creep into fixing home pricing centrally, I hadn't thought of that.

Exactly why most clubs want go down the travel route.

Having £30 fans next to £60 home fans will cause all sorts of issues for clubs. They do not want that.

Approx figures

> Number of away prem tickets per season for one club 18 x 3000 = 54000
> Cost of tickets if twenty is plenty 54000 x £20 = £1,080 000
> Cost of tickets at today average price 54000 x £45 = £2,430 000
> Cost difference to provide tickets at £20 = £1,350 000

Considering the fact that every supporter, who themselves make massive effort and sacrifices to follow their team on the road, could be helped with their other costs by locking the price at £20 for an effective subsidy of just £1.35 M is galling at best considering the pending Tv deal and the cash w*nked on wages etc.

I mean 12 weeks of Adebayors wages would cover this:mad:.......ie every single person that follows you all season helped out.

I wonder if first team players would subsidise their worshippers out of their wages every week.

Approx figures

> Number of away prem tickets per season for one club 18 x 3000 = 54000
> Cost of tickets if twenty is plenty 54000 x £20 = £1,080 000
> Cost of tickets at today average price 54000 x £45 = £2,430 000
> Cost difference to provide tickets at £20 = £1,350 000

Considering the fact that every supporter, who themselves make massive effort and sacrifices to follow their team on the road, could be helped with their other costs by locking the price at £20 for an effective subsidy of just £1.35 M is galling at best considering the pending Tv deal and the cash w*nked on wages etc.

I mean 12 weeks of Adebayors wages would cover this:mad:.......ie every single person that follows you all season helped out.

I wonder if first team players would subsidise their worshippers out of their wages every week.
I'm the first to agree that Ade was overpaid, but to paint that in a more accurate light - it's probably somewhere around 2 Harry Kanes in wages. Or a little under a third of a Dele Alli.

£1.35M is not pocket change, not to any club - least of all one as tightly run as ours. We would be giving away a portion (no matter how small) of competitive advantage for absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

I'm suggesting all prem clubs sign-up not just us.

The 2010 prem tv deal was 1.77bn the latest 5.14bn. The bottom club next year will get £99m. (Thats just for tv rights).

I know demand often outweighs supply with tickets and there will always be someone to fill that seat yada yada BUT it is not a lot in context of what the fans give and bring to the club. It's not a request for free tickets ffs and is not even asking for cheaper home tickets.

They already put in £250,000 a year now.

If you analyse where the money gets spent it makes it even harder to swallow. 1 agents fee in a £20m transfer would probably be more.

It's priorities.....and we're way down the list.

Clubs with a larger fanbase have more to lose. We'd also lose a bit of competitive edge to overseas teams.

The 2010 prem tv deal was 1.77bn the latest 5.14bn. The bottom club next year will get £99m. (Thats just for tv rights).

I know demand often outweighs supply with tickets and there will always be someone to fill that seat yada yada BUT it is not a lot in context of what the fans give and bring to the club. It's not a request for free tickets ffs and is not even asking for cheaper home tickets.
What exactly do fans bring to the club? The Secret Footballer has already made it clear that fans don't affect players. As you said, there will always be others to spend their money.

If you analyse where the money gets spent it makes it even harder to swallow. 1 agents fee in a £20m transfer would probably be more.

Of course we're way down the list - that's because our benefit to the club is minimal. The club spends as much as they do because it's the fine line between spending too much and dealing with whingeing fans all the time.

I suppose it's not a subsidy, the club's would not get the income in the first place ie just £20 a ticket.
If it is the hosting club that receives that income (?) then the club's with the larger stadium are usually the wealthier clubs so proportionally suffer more (hardly suffering), so even that has a touch of fairness.
As for competitive edge in Europe, have you read the media outlets in the last few months.Slightly worried would be putting it kindly when it comes to the financial clout us prem boys have now got. (Even barca concerned on BBC piece yday).
Funnily fans appear higher up the list in some of these foreign leagues and enjoy cheaper tickets all round.

I get its market forces and make hay while the sun shines BUT the sun doesn't always shine and a supporter is the lifeblood and constant in any club. This is a small concession, a sentiment, an awareness that fans do play a part, (scara laughs out loud) a bigger part than a whole load of sharks and charlatans that get more than their share from the golden goose.

Last edited:
I'm the first to agree that Ade was overpaid, but to paint that in a more accurate light - it's probably somewhere around 2 Harry Kanes in wages. Or a little under a third of a Dele Alli.

£1.35M is not pocket change, not to any club - least of all one as tightly run as ours. We would be giving away a portion (no matter how small) of competitive advantage for absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

Pretty much spot on. It doesn't sound like much the way some money is wasted by football clubs, but it's still a solid chunk of money. And a lot more important to us than some of the richer clubs.

Do you think that if the £20 is plenty campaign succeeds that will the be the end point of fans wanting cheaper tickets or the starting point of more campaigns?

This topic is interesting, and worthy of its own thread.

Could a Mod oblige by calving off this aspect ?

Back