• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Olympic Thread

Reports suggesting those sat at the back of the Aquatic Centre will have restricted views and will not be able to see the divers until they hit the water.

3,500 seats @ £50 a pop. £12m worth of conned spectators.

LOCOG's answer? 'you'll have a great view of the telly though'.

So will I. On my LED at home. I didn't have to pay £50 for the pleasure though.

YAAAAAAY OlYmp1C fevvAAa!!!1!1!1

Lon2012 apologised to Nth Korea over flag gaffe, then had to correct apology after not calling them "Democratic People’s Republic of Korea"

I was in the same hotel as the IOC on Saturday night.

Not only did the freeloading cnuts have a 150yd exclusion zone around the hotel so I couldn't park my car, but I had to go through a full airport security-style check just to get in to the hotel. Try doing that tinkled at 3am.

They also had the whole block lined with brand new BMWs just sitting and waiting to ferry them to wherever else they were heading to spend my money.

cnuts.

Apparently the whole IOC consists of less than 130 people, and 85 of those work in their Olympic museum.

Interestingly they don't get involved in any of the operational aspects of the games. They are purely marketing and sponsorship.... LOCOG are the ones to blame for spending/wasting money.

Apparently the whole IOC consists of less than 130 people, and 85 of those work in their Olympic museum.

Interestingly they don't get involved in any of the operational aspects of the games. They are purely marketing and sponsorship.... LOCOG are the ones to blame for spending/wasting money.

It's the IOC board members that waste money, about 140 of them, but especially the 15 members of the executive board. IOC made €2.5 billion between 2001 and 2004 from marketing and broadcast rights among other things, but according to wikipedia they kept 8% of that for their own expenses. Most of their members are elected in with no background in sports.

It's the IOC board members that waste money, about 140 of them, but especially the 15 members of the executive board. IOC made €2.5 billion between 2001 and 2004 from marketing and broadcast rights among other things, but according to wikipedia they kept 8% of that for their own expenses. Most of their members are elected in with no background in sports.

My question is what's the problem?

They're business people whose job is to maximise the amount of money provided by sponsors. It's a job they do very well and should be rewarded accordingly - as Wiki also says, 30 years ago the 'Olympic movement' was almost bankrupt.

I've heard the fact that some don't come from a 'sports' background used before, but again I don't see what the issue is. It clearly doesn't affect their ability to bring in the money.

The board members don't do anything except attend board meetings and vote. Executive members probably do some work.

The board members don't do anything except attend board meetings and vote. Executive members probably do some work.

I was about to put in an edit as I realised we've been talking about different aspects of the Board.

The general board members, again my view is what's the problem? They include some some former sports people, but also Royalty and other dignitaries. Where's the money they're wasting? Travel and accomodation costs?

Pretty sure that will be a relatively small cost in the wider scheme of things... not that the accounts would ever be so transparent!

I was about to put in an edit as I realised we've been talking about different aspects of the Board.

The general board members, again my view is what's the problem? They include some some former sports people, but also Royalty and other dignitaries. Where's the money they're wasting? Travel and accomodation costs?

Pretty sure that will be a relatively small cost in the wider scheme of things... not that the accounts would ever be so transparent!

I don't like it as they're just an self perpetuating elite, taking money out of sports. These people do not fly economy or stay at 3-star hotels.

Anyone going on Saturday to try a watch Wiggins, Froome etc try and help Cavendish win the Road Race?

I bet he's having nightmares of other teams breaking away every night

Those 130 had the first 7 floors of the Hilton Park Lane closed (and the fcuking exec lounge :x) and a fleet of brand new BMWs sitting and waiting for them. LOCOG may be worse(better?) at wasting money but don't underplay the IOC's ability to tinkle it away either.

Those 130 had the first 7 floors of the Hilton Park Lane closed (and the fcuking exec lounge :x) and a fleet of brand new BMWs sitting and waiting for them. LOCOG may be worse(better?) at wasting money but don't underplay the IOC's ability to tinkle it away either.

Scara, you wanna see the Westfield carkpark mate - it's like a BMW factory!

Although this would give Arcy wet dreams, the leases on them must be costing an arm and a leg.

Neither the IOC or LOCOG are paying for the cars, they're supplied as part of BMWs sponsorship package.

Not sure who is paying for the drivers, but wouldn't be surprised if that was BMW too.

Masses of kit is provided free on loan for the Olympics. The stuff supplied by the large sponsors is obvious, but smaller companies aren't allowed to market their involvement until after the games has finished and LOCOG has been disbanded.

The money being wasted isn't on this kind of stuff - it's at places like Wimbledon.

World class tennis venue with a tournament broadcast around the world each year. However, anyone who watches the Olympic tennis on TV may notice that the cameras will be mounted at the opposite end of centre court to usual. The cost for this change has been a seven figure sum.

Neither the IOC or LOCOG are paying for the cars, they're supplied as part of BMWs sponsorship package.

Not sure who is paying for the drivers, but wouldn't be surprised if that was BMW too.

Masses of kit is provided free on loan for the Olympics. The stuff supplied by the large sponsors is obvious, but smaller companies aren't allowed to market their involvement until after the games has finished and LOCOG has been disbanded.

The money being wasted isn't on this kind of stuff - it's at places like Wimbledon.

World class tennis venue with a tournament broadcast around the world each year. However, anyone who watches the Olympic tennis on TV may notice that the cameras will be mounted at the opposite end of centre court to usual. The cost for this change has been a seven figure sum.

What's the reason for this?

3,500 seats @ £50 a pop. £12m worth of conned spectators.

LOCOG's answer? 'you'll have a great view of the telly though'.

So will I. On my LED at home. I didn't have to pay £50 for the pleasure though.

YAAAAAAY OlYmp1C fevvAAa!!!1!1!1

Well you did pay a grand for the LED, and £150 for a TV license every year, plus your leccy bill

But I agree the tickets are a rip off

[/B]

What's the reason for this?

LOCOG have taken the same approach to the new venues as for established venues, insisting that new cabling is installed for cameras, data etc.

All of the football grounds being used have had the same treatment despite having football broadcast every week.

At Wimbledon I heard that the new cables had been installed in parrallel to the existing setup, but that someone simply decided the view was better from the other end.

All of the football grounds being used have had the same treatment despite having football broadcast every week.

Does this mean that the games from Wembley might not constantly show the opposite stand? Really irks me about Wembley games, I want to see the near-side of the pitch. Not the spectators.

Just on the train down to London. Gonna go an see the torch in Westminster at 16.00 and then have a long stroll around town enjoying the warmth and taking in the atmosphere. Can't wait. Also down next Tuesday and have beach volleyball tickets. And down next Friday for athletics and a big night out. I love this city I love this country an I love the Olympics. Anyone disagreeing can eat a dingdong! :)

Back