• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

Mate , the Aussie guy who won has been tested positive ! Doubt AJ will get in a ring with him now. The bloke was a donkey who suddenly makes world champion ! I think it was always going to be suspect

Impressive from Joshua,but if that bloke was a World Champion so I have a chance, how he is ranked #9 is beyond me, he looked distinctly average.

Hearn said he has something tasted lined up for July 9th at Wembley. Obviously wont be Haye and cant be Wilder. Like his style, putting him out the same night as Fury v Klitschko, takes the limelight off Fury. Wonder if he might have Povetkin or Pulev lined up?

I didn't realise how much of a racist Ali was....

I know he was part of the nation of Islam but I look at how he speaks and what people think about someone like Fury and the way he speaks and Ali is extreme....

It makes me uncomfortable listening to his rambling and people now say he is the greatest of all time....hmmm

I'm not a boxing fan so I won't comment on his place in the pantheon of great fighters.
I only come on this, the cricket (yawn) and betting threads because the little unread icon annoys me:oops:.
Purely playing devils advocate, what he is really saying is he is against multi culturalism, which I think is so meta lot of people would agree with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/bo...ld-f-former-champion-views-homosexuality.html

Klitschko's got one thing right, Fury is a walking, talking embarrassment to the sport. I know he's the Champ and all but it just shows what a huge decline professional boxing is going through. I genuinely feel that in 10-20 years time the only people taking up boxing will be those who lack the talent to fight MMA.

It takes more talent to be a boxer than fight MMA trust me. Fury is an embarrassment and hopefully won't be a World Champion for much longer but Boxing as a whole is in a rich vein of form right now across the weight divisions. We are fortunate in the UK to have 12 current World Champions across the classes. You only have to look at some of the fights at Welterweight, Middleweight and Super Middleweight to see some fantastic match ups. That doesn't take into account some of the smaller weight classes like Super Bantamweight where you have Quigg, Frampton and Rigondeaux or at Featherweight with Leo Santa Cruz or Lee Selby.

Boxing is in great condition and needs characters all the time, even people like Fury to a degree but he is as you say, an embarrassment.

It takes more talent to be a boxer than fight MMA trust me. Fury is an embarrassment and hopefully won't be a World Champion for much longer but Boxing as a whole is in a rich vein of form right now across the weight divisions. We are fortunate in the UK to have 12 current World Champions across the classes. You only have to look at some of the fights at Welterweight, Middleweight and Super Middleweight to see some fantastic match ups. That doesn't take into account some of the smaller weight classes like Super Bantamweight where you have Quigg, Frampton and Rigondeaux or at Featherweight with Leo Santa Cruz or Lee Selby.

Boxing is in great condition and needs characters all the time, even people like Fury to a degree but he is as you say, an embarrassment.

I disagree that boxing is in a great state but to be honest it might be a case of rose tinted specs. I grew up watching fighters like Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield and thought boxing was of a much higher quality back then. Maybe it was my age and naivety making me think they were better than they were. Maybe it was just a golden generation like when Ali was fighting all kinds of huge names. But I just don't feel that there's any fights that could really get the blood pumping as there was in the past.

The one recent fight that seemed like it could be a fight of the ages was Mayweather/ Pacquiao but that happened far too late because of greed from promoters, the fighters, television companies...

Now you've got 'Fatman' Fury vs. a bloke who's 40 and about to retire. It just doesn't seem to have the glamour it once had.

I disagree that boxing is in a great state but to be honest it might be a case of rose tinted specs. I grew up watching fighters like Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield and thought boxing was of a much higher quality back then. Maybe it was my age and naivety making me think they were better than they were. Maybe it was just a golden generation like when Ali was fighting all kinds of huge names. But I just don't feel that there's any fights that could really get the blood pumping as there was in the past.

The one recent fight that seemed like it could be a fight of the ages was Mayweather/ Pacquiao but that happened far too late because of greed from promoters, the fighters, television companies...

Now you've got 'Fatman' Fury vs. a bloke who's 40 and about to retire. It just doesn't seem to have the glamour it once had.

It goes in cycles. It will have peaks and troughs but I think it is on the up with the rise of Anthony Joshua. He has grabbed the imagination and his latest fight against a barely known guy in June sold out in 30 mins at the O2.

I would love there to be another Hearns-Hagler-Leonard-Duran dynamic or a Benn-Watson-Eubank but we might not see that again, those rivalries are legendary and historic.

It really does have the glamour, a big fight like the last Joshua one even though it lasted 2 rounds really caught the imagination. To me, MMA is not up there with boxing as a discipline being that it seems to actively promote ill-discipline and doesn't have anywhere near the glamour or showbiz that boxing has but that is all my opinion.

The heavy weight division should always be the leading light in boxing, even with Floyd Mayweather v Pac Man people still yern for a true heavyweight clash and its just not there.

The last true great Heavyweight Champ was Lennox Lewis

Canelo v Khan should be good.

Can't wait, for me Canelo is the best around. He has everything , speed, power, durability. If Khan can stick to his game plan then he has a chance, but he has a tendency to get drawn into complacency and if he tries to trade then his chin won't cope.

Hope its a good fight

Khan is wasting his career really chasing money all the time, 5 fights in 3 and a half years. Plenty of good options out there, why not Bradley? He's mandatory for Garcia and could have the Brook fight if he wants it (not sure if he's running scared). 2 of those would give him a belt and beating Bradley would surely guarantee a title fight such as the winner of Thurman V Porter.

I actually don't think its money chasing, I think its an ego legacy for him.

He has fought 11 world champions (holders of previous) in his career of 35 fights, thats huge when you consider their are something like 12 British world Champions and combined they have only fought 18.

Khan not being part of the Hearn Hype Train makes people think he is things he isnt, and the only accurate thing people come up with is he cant really take a punch, but beyond that he is a two time World Champ, Olympic Silver Medalist at 17 losing to one of the greatest boxers of all time. Fought some tough tough men and won more than he has lost.

You don't get huge fights on American TV and Bills unless you are good....

I actually don't think its money chasing, I think its an ego legacy for him.

He has fought 11 world champions (holders of previous) in his career of 35 fights, thats huge when you consider their are something like 12 British world Champions and combined they have only fought 18.

Khan not being part of the Hearn Hype Train makes people think he is things he isnt, and the only accurate thing people come up with is he cant really take a punch, but beyond that he is a two time World Champ, Olympic Silver Medalist at 17 losing to one of the greatest boxers of all time. Fought some tough tough men and won more than he has lost.

You don't get huge fights on American TV and Bills unless you are good....

Well a lot of people such as in this article said he gets big fights and is in favour with Golden Boy because he brings uncertainty and excitement, that's why he's on US TV. He does bring that but needs to get some good wins and a title under him in the next couple of fights. Talk of Cotto seems silly, he's getting on a bit now. Needs to fight someone in their prime or coming into it, I know I keep mentioning Brook but that would be an absolutely massive fight and give him the opportunity of a world title. I can't understand not taking it, he'd get far more money for it than fighting Cotto as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/may/09/amir-khan-next-kell-brook-fight

Back