• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** The Official Boxing/UFC/MMA thread ***

De La Hoya is Canelo's promoter.

4:30 in, he is asked what his dream fight this year would be. He says Canelo v Khan

Didn't see this one coming at all.

I think Canelo will be too big and strong for him. He will bully Khan and I hope he does. I can't stand how Khan talks about himself in 3rd person all the time. Does my head in.

If he just makes a ton of money and gets knocked out is there still a possibility of him fighting Brook or will that ship have sailed?

If he just makes a ton of money and gets knocked out is there still a possibility of him fighting Brook or will that ship have sailed?

Khan's bargaining stance will take a knock. Won't be able to demand the amounts he reportedly has been.

This is all based on him losing, which I think he will. It's understandably a bigger fight than Brook, in Las Vegas too, but I think he had more chance of beating Brook. Canelo will win and be one fight closer to meeting GGG

I'm not that into boxing tbh

Why is Canelo fighting Khan, and not somebody from his own weight class?

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10156693/man-shot-dead-in-dublin-at-boxing-weigh-in

Man shot dead in Dublin at boxing weigh-in

Irish police are investigating the death of a man shot dead at a boxing weigh-in at a hotel in Dublin.

Two men were also injured in an attack that happened while a boxing tournament weigh-in was going on at the Regency Hotel on Swords Road, around three kilometres north of the city centre.

Up to 300 fans, including women and children, scattered in fear of their lives as the attackers apparently targeted their three victims, aged in their 20s and 30s.

One of the boxers, who had just stepped off the scales in his underwear, along with three officials, ran for their lives when the gunmen opened fire in the function room.

Police and paramedics arrived at the scene at around 2.30pm on Friday afternoon.

The two other victims were taken to The Mater and Beaumont hospitals with what are suspected to be gunshot wounds. The scene has been sealed off.

Witnesses described scenes of terror and pandemonium, with one of the gunmen dressed up as a woman and reports that AK-47 assault rifles as well as handguns were used in the suspected gangland hit.

In a statement, police revealed they found three injured men, all in their 20s or 30s, with one of these men "pronounced dead".

The weigh-in was ahead of a Clash of the Clans boxing bout at the National Stadium in the south of the city, scheduled to take place on Saturday evening. This has now been cancelled.

Fighters on the bill include Dublin boxer Jamie Kavanagh, who will fight for the WBO European lightweight title against Portuguese Antonio Joao Bento.

Kavanagh tweeted to say he was "OK", adding: "I was lucky today is all I can say."

Sky News' Enda Brady said the shooting - about two miles north of the city centre - is being linked to a gangland feud.

Brady said: "Dublin has a gang problem. There have been numerous shootings in recent years, numerous killings.

"A couple of well-known brothers from the Crumlin area were believed to have been going to watch the weigh-in. As a result of the feud about 10 men had been warned in recent months their lives were in danger."

Kevin McAnena, a sports reporter who was covering the weigh-in, said one of two gunmen dressed in Garda-style uniforms pointed a "big, massive" gun at him while he sought cover in the lobby during the attack.

He said: "I jumped over the reception desk, I think I smashed the vase on my way, then the gunman came over to reception, looked down at me and pointed the gun at me, and I shouted, I was shouting even before he came over 'don't shoot, don't shoot'.

"[The gunman] said something to me but I don't know what he even said, I can't remember at this point, I just know I've never felt terror like it, I was really, really scared and then after that it was just silence."

Now is the time to fight Brook. When Khan gets KO'd and Brook beats Bizier, chances are that the next fight for Brook will be a unification whereas Khan will say that Brook is dodging him. Khan will then have to fight his way up to #1 contender level which could be a couple of years from now and that's if he even wants to which I don't think he does.

I'm not that into boxing tbh

Why is Canelo fighting Khan, and not somebody from his own weight class?

Khan has made a name for himself in America so financially, the fight makes sense. They are fighting at a catch weight though which Golovkin won't do which is blocking the biggest fight out there at the moment (Golovkin vs Canelo).
When Canelo beats Khan at catch weight, the argument will be "Canelo fought at catch weight, why can't Golovkin?". Public interest will grow, purses will grow and the fight will eventually get made. That's just my theory though.

Now is the time to fight Brook. When Khan gets KO'd and Brook beats Bizier, chances are that the next fight for Brook will be a unification whereas Khan will say that Brook is dodging him. Khan will then have to fight his way up to #1 contender level which could be a couple of years from now and that's if he even wants to which I don't think he does.

Khan has made a name for himself in America so financially, the fight makes sense. They are fighting at a catch weight though which Golovkin won't do which is blocking the biggest fight out there at the moment (Golovkin vs Canelo).
When Canelo beats Khan at catch weight, the argument will be "Canelo fought at catch weight, why can't Golovkin?". Public interest will grow, purses will grow and the fight will eventually get made. That's just my theory though.

Canelo has never fought above 155 lbs (the catchweight), though, so it's not like he's coming down in weight to face Khan. When Canelo fights GGG (hopefully later this year) i believe it's going to be at 160. The WBC has given Canelo and GGG one voluntary defense of their titles and a deadline of May 31th for negotiations to begin.

Last edited:
Canelo has never fought above 155 lbs (the catchweight), though, so it's not like he's coming down in weight to face Khan. When Canelo fights GGG (hopefully later this year) i believe it's going to be at 160. The WBC has given Canelo and GGG one voluntary defense of their titles and a deadline of May 31th for negotiations to begin.

For some reason, I had it in my head that the catchweight was 151. No idea why.

I guess that kinda blows my theory out of the water..

For some reason, I had it in my head that the catchweight was 151. No idea why.

I guess that kinda blows my theory out of the water..

It's generally not possible to fight for the middleweight title at 151, that would be light middleweight/super welterweight (148-154).

There's really no reason for GGG-Canelo to be fought at a catchweight, other than Canelo can (barely) make 155 due to his youth. It's rumoured that Canelo rehydrated to 180+ in his last fight against Cotto.
Canelo might demand a catchweight against GGG, but I don't believe he will as that would make him look bad in the eyes of the fans.

Last edited:
Looks like Joshua is in talks for a shot at the new IBF champ Martin.

Very big step in his career if this goes ahead, does he need another fight or two first?

Looks like Joshua is in talks for a shot at the new IBF champ Martin.

Very big step in his career if this goes ahead, does he need another fight or two first?

Sounds like all the big names have called him out now because they know they need to fight him asap in case he develops into a beast, so now his team have to try and choose the most winnable/path of least resistance. Will be interesting to see if he can hang with the big boys and if he can be as good as people hoped, although going by that last fight he has a long way to go still .

Are none of you guys intrigued by this man? I can't stop watching his fights/press conferences etc. People like Khan seem second rate even in their pre fight banter compared to him.

He is the most entertaining man in sport that I can think of.

Next fight 5 March in Vegas, stepping up a weight to fight the Brazilian dos Anjos.

stayed up for mcgregor's last fight and already got tickets to a bar opening late for his next fight. so entertaining!

Next fight is after the NLD btw, going to be a looooong day.

Are none of you guys intrigued by this man? I can't stop watching his fights/press conferences etc. People like Khan seem second rate even in their pre fight banter compared to him.

He is the most entertaining man in sport that I can think of.

Next fight 5 March in Vegas, stepping up a weight to fight the Brazilian dos Anjos.

I know people who follow UFC and they all hate him. I'm happy to admit I have no knowledge or interest in the sport but I watch every press conference because he is entertaining. He is doing one today in America I think

I follow MMA and the UFC and think he's great. He's a roostery f*cker sure but if you can talk and then back it up like he has so far then fair play.

His next fight is going to be hard, on paper he loses, if the bloke doesn't allow McGregor to get in his head and fights to McGregor's weaknesses he will win, if he attempts to stand up with him I think he get's KOed.

It's a tough one for him, but I've given up doubting him. I also think alot of peopple are going to be surprised at his size in this fight, it wouldn't suprise me if Dos Anjos is acctually the smaller man come fight night, even though he's in the higher weight class. Whatever way it ends I'm super excited for this fight, can't wait!

Just hope it lasts a little bit longer than mcgregor's last fight..

Did Mcgregor say he'd do it in round 1 again? Might put a fiver on it.

Just hope it lasts a little bit longer than mcgregor's last fight..

Did Mcgregor say he'd do it in round 1 again? Might put a fiver on it.
He said he struggles to see him lasting more than a few minutes, he'd love it to but he just can't see it happening, or something like that.

Back