• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2023/24 Premier League Thread

Bobb looks both 20 and 50. Great feet from him. That goal highlights how difficult it is for referees, Trippier missed the ball and touched his leg but he carried on, then Pope did the same, then the defender ran into him, but because he scored that is all forgotten. I wonder if he had missed, if it would have been called back. You see penalties given every week for less contact.
Think they may have questioned how Saudi Sportswashing Machine had 2 goalkeepers on the pitch at the same time ;)

I like to think you write your own history, I've supported this club for over 60 odd years and seen ups and downs and always try to be optimistic about our future, just can't buy into this pessimism people seem to enjoy.
The misery goes hand in hand with hope. We hope that every year is our year but, while we don’t enjoy it, there is comfort in the familiarity of underachievement and disappointment. In fact, it says what devout supporters we are that we continue to support this club despite the fact that we know it’ll probably end in tears. So, in a way, you could argue that pricks like us are better than fans like you…or you could argue that we’re just more miserable, fudged up people.

The misery goes hand in hand with hope. We hope that every year is our year but, while we don’t enjoy it, there is comfort in the familiarity of underachievement and disappointment. In fact, it says what devout supporters we are that we continue to support this club despite the fact that we know it’ll probably end in tears. So, in a way, you could argue that pricks like us are better than fans like you…or you could argue that we’re just more miserable, fudged up people.

I dont think people are pricks who are pessimistic you can't help feeling the way you do, I just go to every game hoping we are going to win, I've never played any sort of game expecting to lose whatever the odds. I dislike losing but the bitterness of losing makes winning so much sweeter.

I dont think people are pricks who are pessimistic you can't help feeling the way you do, I just go to every game hoping we are going to win, I've never played any sort of game expecting to lose whatever the odds. I dislike losing but the bitterness of losing makes winning so much sweeter.
Ah I wasn’t being entirely serious. There are very few games I go into fully expecting to lose. In fact, I think the last two were Emirates Marketing Project last month and City just after we lost to Southampton and Wolves under Conte. And we took 4 points from those.

I like to think you write your own history, I've supported this club for over 60 odd years and seen ups and downs and always try to be optimistic about our future, just can't buy into this pessimism people seem to enjoy.
I’m in almost 45 years and I’m an eternal optimist! Don’t know how I’d still care if I weren’t. In that time I’ve seen 3 genuine title challenges, 2 under Poch (to his credit forever) and 84/85. We are definitely in with a chance this season imo, City and Liverpool are not at the level of recent years. We have a clear run with minimum distractions. It’s probably come a year too early but the opportunity is there.

I’m in almost 45 years and I’m an eternal optimist! Don’t know how I’d still care if I weren’t. In that time I’ve seen 3 genuine title challenges, 2 under Poch (to his credit forever) and 84/85. We are definitely in with a chance this season imo, City and Liverpool are not at the level of recent years. We have a clear run with minimum distractions. It’s probably come a year too early but the opportunity is there.
86/87 too
The number of games caught up with us that year

What I'd like to see is a MOTD type talkshow where refs or PMGOL representatives regularly sit down and explain in detail why there are different outcomes of these fairly similar challenges. Where they either give a plausible explanation or admit wrongdoing, after after reviewing fouls that looke the same.
I don't think it needs to be on TV / for the public at all, but they should be doing this every week as part of their training. Based on the inconsistency, it would suggest they don't.

Or you could say - as I often do - that you must be strong to support Spurs.

And we are.

I don't think it needs to be on TV / for the public at all, but they should be doing this every week as part of their training. Based on the inconsistency, it would suggest they don't.
I think it needs to be out in the open somehow, so that football fans themselves can get a better understanding of the decisions being made. If, and that's a massive if IMO, there are good explanations for the different handling of what most people see as similar challenges, it would be to the benefit of both PGMOL/refs and supporters that the reasoning behind the decision is known. Such openness will reduce speculation about refereeing decisions, and could be the basis for an informed, public debate about the rules and how they're applied.

I think it needs to be out in the open somehow, so that football fans themselves can get a better understanding of the decisions being made. If, and that's a massive if IMO, there are good explanations for the different handling of what most people see as similar challenges, it would be to the benefit of both PGMOL/refs and supporters that the reasoning behind the decision is known. Such openness will reduce speculation about refereeing decisions, and could be the basis for an informed, public debate about the rules and how they're applied.
Sure, I don’t have a problem with that…but not with the referees making decisions. I don’t think that helps them at all. But agree with you that a PMGOL representative would be good, as they’re the ones responsible for the application and consistency of rules.

That is some pass from KDB, super goal. Some great goals

Ball in behind trippier, always a danger.

But that pass was fantastic. Considering he hasn't had much game time, or probably played much with Bob there was an understanding from both knowing what was going to happen.

Bentancur will need to stick close to him when we play them.

Still played 58 games that season 84/85

I cant help being pessimistic most of the time. Supporting Tottenham in football, and Warrington in Rugby League, as I was born just after the Double was achieved, in my 60+ years I have yet to see either of my teams be crowned Champions of their sport/win the big one

Warrington have reached 4 Grand Finals and lost them all, and the few times they finished top of the league you were not classed as champions as there has been a Play-off system to crown the champions (Imagine that in football, City finishing top after 38 games but not crowned champions as the team in 4th or 5th were able to peak for a few matches at the end of the season)

I have said this before, 2019, if we could have just got over the line v Liverpool I would have taken that and not been bothered about us winning another thing, because i would have finally enjoyed that feeling.

You cant believe how much it kills to have had Liverpool/St Helens RL and Man United/Wigan RL supporting friends enjoy so much success and rub your nose in it over the decades

Last edited:
Back