• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

Linekar effectively suspended for thinking human rights are a good thing, wow!

Fair play to Ian Wright who is not going to appear on the show in solidarity with Gary. Not cool on here to show kudos to ex gooners but he's one of the good ones..

Last edited:
I'll not be watching on Saturday. Would be embarrassing to BBC if millions didn't.

Maybe. But i believe they have a legal obligation to be impartial. Agreed by all political parties. As it should be.

So you might be able to embarass them. But it won't change anything.

Maybe. But i believe they have a legal obligation to be impartial. Agreed by all political parties. As it should be.

If lineker had said it on MOTD they would be right to challenge him, what he says out of work is his business, they may wish to cancel his contract, that's their prerogative. They are opening a box they will not be able to close, will they not employ actors who go on demonstrations against government actions? Going to be difficult to produce Question Time if panelist cannot challenge governments.

If lineker had said it on MOTD they would be right to challenge him, what he says out of work is his business, they may wish to cancel his contract, that's their prerogative. They are opening a box they will not be able to close, will they not employ actors who go on demonstrations against government actions? Going to be difficult to produce Question Time if panelist cannot challenge governments.

actually not with the nutters they tend to put on there

Your belief doesn't align with the BBC'S editoral guidelines.
The BBC has a commitment* to due impartiality in its output.

My view:
I. GLs tweet isn't BBC output, so is outside of scope.
II. The BBCs action has put his tweet in scope. As such, it is encumbant on them to now create a report/documentary into the contents of his tweet, this directly, and with due impartiality, exploring the areas raised.

I would LOVE to see that documentary!

*Not legal requirement. It isn't a state broadcaster, it's a public service broadcaster. Its legal requirement is aligned with other UK broadcasters. It's commitments correlate to its license and therefore it's justification for for commanding a mandatory fee for viewing. We should, and did, view the BBC in a similar way to any other public service - NHS, buses, trains, bin collection etc

Last edited:
Fair play to Wright, have a lot of time for him.
Shearer not appearing either.
This will be the best MOTD for years.

I understand the BBC wanting to open the program up to simpletons and people who have never seen football, but that must be a tiny share of their viewers. Far better to remove the pointless drivel from people with little or no command of English and just show the football.

The same BBC that was happy for GL to present the Qatar WC?
The same BBC that covered up, and kept covered up, serious and extensive sexual assault by its staff?
and don't forget Jimmy Saville too, hushed up for years by the top bods at the BBC

Back