• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

I think Keane is a nasty, disingenuous prick and will never, ever forgive him for 2002.

But he’s absolute box office as a pundit. Doesn’t matter what he’s saying and whether it’s right or wrong but he is always actually saying something.
I've been loving Sourness and Simon Jordan on talksport. Jordan is very good at completly dismantling everything Sourness says. It's brilliant.

Wow, Arteta is now the standard bearer for Ten Haag to redevelop his squad. I guess 8th, 8th and a choke to 5th after spending the most in the league in that period is what we should all aspire to?

Or it could be all or nothing and a friendly early season fixture list adding to the cult?

Not MOTD, but final score on the BBC, they had Nedum Onuoha in the studio today, he came across very well. Was in there with Carlton Cole and the standard of punditry was night and day, as you’d hope opposite Cole!

would like to see more of him.

Not MOTD, but final score on the BBC, they had Nedum Onuoha in the studio today, he came across very well. Was in there with Carlton Cole and the standard of punditry was night and day, as you’d hope opposite Cole!

I reckon they have Joe and Carlton Cole on as that ticks a PC box, the box they tick with those two is the Scopes box

Nedum is on espn a lot. Always has considered answers and views. I like him.

Great stuff. About time they had someone who could go toe-to-toe with SJ.

Overall I thought Souness won that one on points tbf. He's broadly right about Levy and Conte imo. Levy needed Conte more than Conte needed him, and Conte knew there was no point coming here unless he could get in the players he wanted. Probably helped that Paratici paved the way too.

Great stuff. About time they had someone who could go toe-to-toe with SJ.

Overall I thought Souness won that one on points tbf. He's broadly right about Levy and Conte imo. Levy needed Conte more than Conte needed him, and Conte knew there was no point coming here unless he could get in the players he wanted. Probably helped that Paratici paved the way too.
I didn’t get that feeling at all from that video.

The argument seemed to be about whether Levy buys players he wanted and that the manager didn’t. I don’t think that’s the case at all, Jordan explained* it very well to Souness and he just seemed to ignore it claiming Jordan’s just sticking up for his mate.

*manager asks for 50m player and chairman says no we can’t afford him/he doesn’t want to come, etc. But we’ve got this 30m player who we can afford and is willing to join, does that work? So manager doesn’t get his first choice, but it’s not like he gets players he doesn’t want!

I didn’t get that feeling at all from that video.

The argument seemed to be about whether Levy buys players he wanted and that the manager didn’t. I don’t think that’s the case at all, Jordan explained* it very well to Souness and he just seemed to ignore it claiming Jordan’s just sticking up for his mate.

*manager asks for 50m player and chairman says no we can’t afford him/he doesn’t want to come, etc. But we’ve got this 30m player who we can afford and is willing to join, does that work? So manager doesn’t get his first choice, but it’s not like he gets players he doesn’t want!
Yes, Jordan was saying that's how Levy usually does it and he was quite right. That's exactly how he usually does it. But here's the rub: Souness was arguing that Conte just wasn't having that. It's pretty clear he told DL he was not interested in coming unless the bald one promised to put his hand in his pocket and find the cash. It was a case of 'either you find the money or I'm just not interested Daniel.'

Hence DL found another £150m this summer in order to meet Conte's demands. That's where the difference lies, and that's what Souness was arguing.

So, game, set and match Souness.

Yes, Jordan was saying that's how Levy usually does it and he was quite right. That's exactly how he usually does it. But here's the rub: Souness was arguing that Conte just wasn't having that. It's pretty clear he told DL he was not interested in coming unless the bald one promised to put his hand in his pocket and find the cash. It was a case of 'either you find the money or I'm just not interested Daniel.'

Hence DL found another £150m this summer in order to meet Conte's demands. That's where the difference lies, and that's what Souness was arguing.

So, game, set and match Souness.
Yet still when we couldn’t get Bastoni, Conte’s clear favourite, Levy / Paratici offered him Lenglet and he’s here. So basically that exact scenario Jordan talked about happened this window still. It’s just being realistic, some players you can’t afford, you have to have a list of players and work down it.

I don’t think that was the argument with Jordan anyway, no one argued that Conte wouldn’t demand more from transfers, it was only when Souness ridiculously said Levy buys players the managers doesn’t want that Jordan corrected him.

Yet still when we couldn’t get Bastoni, Conte’s clear favourite, Levy / Paratici offered him Lenglet and he’s here. So basically that exact scenario Jordan talked about happened this window still. It’s just being realistic, some players you can’t afford, you have to have a list of players and work down it.

I don’t think that was the argument with Jordan anyway, no one argued that Conte wouldn’t demand more from transfers, it was only when Souness ridiculously said Levy buys players the managers doesn’t want that Jordan corrected him.
It was not about Levy refusing to stump up for Bastoni. Bastoni is under contract to Inter until Summer 2024 and not only were Inter determined to keep him but Bastoni was was determined to stay. He has made it overwhelmingly clear he does not want to leave Italy.

Despite all that it's believed Spurs have still not given up on getting Bastoni next summer. Lenglit is only here on loan, suggesting he is a stop gap until we land the Inter CB. So the jury is still out on that one.

With regard to the 'ridiculous' claim that Levy buys players the manager doesn't want, there's loads of of evidence for that. Both Pochettino and AVB were bitter that Levy would not bring the players they wanted, and it's widely believed that Jack Clark was purely a Levy indulgence.

Also Souness made the point that Levy always goes for players that will have a sell on value yet Conte persuaded him to bring in a 33yo in Perisic.

It was not about Levy refusing to stump up for Bastoni. Bastoni is under contract to Inter until Summer 2024 and not only were Inter determined to keep him but Bastoni was was determined to stay. He has made it overwhelmingly clear he does not want to leave Italy.

Despite all that it's believed Spurs have still not given up on getting Bastoni next summer. Lenglit is only here on loan, suggesting he is a stop gap until we land the Inter CB. So the jury is still out on that one.

With regard to the 'ridiculous' claim that Levy buys players the manager doesn't want, there's loads of of evidence for that. Both Pochettino and AVB were bitter that Levy would not bring the players they wanted, and it's widely believed that Jack Clark was purely a Levy indulgence.

Also Souness made the point that Levy always goes for players that will have a sell on value yet Conte persuaded him to bring in a 33yo in Perisic.
Your first two paragraphs are exactly what having a list of targets is all about, I’m not sure how much clearer I can be on this?

Just off the top of my head we bought Doherty before Conte’s time, I don’t think that was with the idea of sell on value?

For the first team both poch and conte had vetos of any players coming in. The development squad has always had a seperate budget. Avb it was baldini not levy bringing in players.
Now does that mean we can always bring in a managers first choice? No ofcourse not. Especially when the budget was limited by building a new stadium.

For the first team both poch and conte had vetos of any players coming in. The development squad has always had a seperate budget. Avb it was baldini not levy bringing in players.
Now does that mean we can always bring in a managers first choice? No ofcourse not. Especially when the budget was limited by bu stadium.
AVB is on record about not being allowed certain players he wanted, and Pochettino likewise was widely quoted about Levy not being prepared to take the next step when we needed to bring in top players.

As to giving the manager the veto, that is totally different to agreeing to buy the players they particularly want. Neither is the argument about whether Levy always refuses to shell out, but about those occasions when he has blocked the manager from getting their choice.

Souness was arguing that one reason we only have a single League cup in 20 years under Levy is because until now DL has always baulked at backing his manager 100%. He is sayimg that now, at last, Conte has persuaded him to agree to bringing in HIS choice of players and that this is what could well make all the difference between winning trophies always falling short at the last hurdle.

Of course we will all have to wait and see on that one, but few will disagree that if Conte IS to be successful it will surely be at least in part because he was able to bring in the players of his choice.

AVB is on record about not being allowed certain players he wanted, and Pochettino likewise was widely quoted about Levy not being prepared to take the next step when we needed to bring in top players.

As to giving the manager the veto, that is totally different to agreeing to buy the players they particularly want. Neither is the argument about whether Levy always refuses to shell out, but about those occasions when he has blocked the manager from getting their choice.

Souness was arguing that one reason we only have a single League cup in 20 years under Levy is because until now DL has always baulked at backing his manager 100%. He is sayimg that now, at last, Conte has persuaded him to agree to bringing in HIS choice of players and that this is what could well make all the difference between winning trophies always falling short at the last hurdle.

Of course we will all have to wait and see on that one, but few will disagree that if Conte IS to be successful it will surely be at least in part because he was able to bring in the players of his choice.

As i said we don't always get the players that are the managers first choice. But we don't get players the manager doesn't want which is what souness said. The managers have a veto.

Jordan looks at it with the financial landscape/history in mind, Souness looks at it from an emotional fans POV....it's as simple as that.

As i said we don't always get the players that are the managers first choice. But we don't get players the manager doesn't want which is what souness said. The managers have a veto.
But Souness was basically arguing that that's exactly the problem. The very reason we always fall short when it comes to getting over the line to win trophies. It seems clear that Conte needed cast-iron assurances before committing to the club that he would be able to get the players he needs, and thankfully that is what it looks like is happening now.

Back