• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match of the Day Thread

Have the BBC actually spoken about his contract and what it says? Or are they trying to impose impartiality rules on him that wouldn’t ordinarily apply?
I think the BBC have got themselves into a bit of a pickle with this one. Is there a measurement of celebrity above which personal tweets fall under the impartiality rules? As I said earlier saying something that brings the BBC into disrepute would be a fair issue but does what he said do that?
The BBC have mentioned that he's had to be warned about this twice before - they haven't shared the contract as I'm sure they can't, but they seem to think it's against the rules.

Amazing management rooster up, this should have been handled internally with both sides trying to come to some agreement about future status of external/personal views, if agreement could not be reached a plan for action which should foresee the consequences of situation for both parties could have been put in place.

BBC have now lost control of situation and have little wriggle room, backdown or sack!

The BBC have mentioned that he's had to be warned about this twice before - they haven't shared the contract as I'm sure they can't, but they seem to think it's against the rules.

In some entertainment contracts there are lots of grey areas as one party is more desperate than the other to get agreement, lawyers love this.

Amazing management rooster up, this should have been handled internally with both sides trying to come to some agreement about future status of external/personal views, if agreement could not be reached a plan for action which should foresee the consequences of situation for both parties could have been put in place.

BBC have now lost control of situation and have little wriggle room, backdown or sack!

Made much more political because of their handling ironically

Whats the rules on reporting about a politically charged issues on their own channel? I would imagine they can't cover it?

Almost everything is politics though. You're really suggesting a sports commentator should be muzzled on having any public opinion? North Korea's calling, they want their policies back!

Don't bother replying until you've explained how the youth team had a better chance of beating Leicester than our first team (it's cute how my response played on your mind) , so essentially, don't bother replying, you're probably way to busy not acknowledging how little you understand stuff ;)

"Do the BBC's impartiality guidelines apply to Lineker?

Lineker is a freelance broadcaster for the BBC, not a permanent member of staff, and is not responsible for news or political content, so does not need to adhere to the same rules on impartiality.

His twitter remarks were made on his personal account, which does not include an official link to the BBC or MOTD in his bio.

However, BBC guidelines also note that figures that are “clearly identified with the BBC” are expected to behave appropriately and “in ways that are consistent with the BBC’s editorial values and policies.”

Mr Sambrook told PA: “For a sports presenter in their personal life to express views that aren’t impartial, is not as serious as if it was a news journalist.”"
Lineker isn't freelance - just ask HMRC.

Yes, if he takes the pay of a state broadcaster then he should keep his personal opinions private. If he wants to talk freely then there are plenty of employers who are not publicly funded and he can say what he likes.

Yes, if he takes the pay of a state broadcaster then he should keep his personal opinions private. If he wants to talk freely then there are plenty of employers who are not publicly funded and he can say what he likes.

I thought the BBC was not a state broadcaster which was highlighted back a few years ago when they were considering government overhauls and representatives on the board?

The funding doesn't come directly from the government, but it is from a state mandated license. The appointment of BBC bosses is also political, as the mess with the current chairman (?) and helping Boris get a loan shows. So it relies on the state for its funding and governance, even if not technically a state broadcaster.

It's hard to see how this will be resolved. Neither side can credibly back down. Perhaps the solution is that Lineker and the BBC top bosses all leave, as they created the mess together. Lineker by pushing the limits after warnings and mocking his critics, the BBC bosses by seeming to have given into government pressure.

I thought the BBC was not a state broadcaster which was highlighted back a few years ago when they were considering government overhauls and representatives on the board?
It's publicly funded and it's the state's mechanism that fines/jails us for not paying. That's as close as it needs to be.

In some entertainment contracts there are lots of grey areas as one party is more desperate than the other to get agreement, lawyers love this.

I studied a bit of law and we got to read george Michael's contract with sony. No punctuation, no paragraphs, all capital letters.

Lawyers purposefully do it so they can earn money arguing points.

Normally. Us winning and the scum losing would mean MOTD would be a definite watch.

But I won’t be watching tonight in solidarity with Mr Lineker.
I doubt it will be on, a load of the football shows were cancelled today due to pundits backing out.

So Graham Norton can’t make jokes about the government at the start of his show? Scrap Have I Got News For You?

Back