• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Immense Struggle to avoid the European Conference League

It was simply that and...

@Finney Is Back thought the reason for sacking was Conte told some home truths about the club.
If a large proportion of fans agreed with those sentiments then 75% wouldn't of agreed with the sacking, they'd of supported Conte.
Funny, I think quite a lot of the fan base did agree, but many didn't like the fact he was stating it in public and especially after a poor run of form and without taking any responsibilities himself. Fans are a funny sort, we'll make all sorts of arguments and debates on here with a large range of opinions, but go outside the fan base and fans instinctively defend their tribe even if they otherwise disagree. The desire to protect the herd is very strong.

I don’t think Arse* suffered from being in the Europa league this year. In fact it looks like they’ve lost something since they were eliminated from it.
On the contrary, Arse lost Saliba to injury in the EL, that is a huge part of their drop in form.
EL is exhausting, so you might get away with it for month after month after month but eventually you lose a few more players than you can cope with, and start to fall.

On the contrary, Arse lost Saliba to injury in the EL, that is a huge part of their drop in form.
EL is exhausting, so you might get away with it for month after month after month but eventually you lose a few more players than you can cope with, and start to fall.
A player can get injured in any game regardless of what competition it is. But yeah for sure Saliba has been missed by them.

That was their gamble to play him
It happens
We can use lower level Europe to get younger players valuable experience

A player can get injured in any game regardless of what competition it is. But yeah for sure Saliba has been missed by them.
Well yeah, therefore playing a load of EL games means you are almost certain to lose a few players, that is my point.

And to those saying we can blood youth players, have you really forgotten all the FA Cup and League Cup and Europa games where we played kids and got tonked?

Well yeah, therefore playing a load of EL games means you are almost certain to lose a few players, that is my point.

And to those saying we can blood youth players, have you really forgotten all the FA Cup and League Cup and Europa games where we played kids and got tonked?
I think you write the cup off and gamble on it
Accept yoi will get some bad results

Now you're having a laugh. He was sacked after 28 games with us in 4th, last year we were 7th after 28 games with Arsenal 3 points ahead and a game in hand. Right up until the last 3 weeks it looked like Arsenal would get 4th until they bottled it.
OK so he was sacked for telling home truths about the owners of the club then…. Either way it has clearly fcuked our season.

That was their gamble to play him
It happens
We can use lower level Europe to get younger players valuable experience
That never quite works for us. We never have enough depth to play a decent quality mixed side. It's always guys who haven't played in eons and there is usually a reason why that is. If we pick a youth side they probably get knocked out in embarrassing fashion unless that year we happen to have an exceptional crop of players all coming through at the time.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

That never quite works for us. We never have enough depth to play a decent quality mixed side. It's always guys who haven't played in eons and there is usually a reason why that is. If we pick a youth side they probably get knocked out in embarrassing fashion unless that year we happen to have an exceptional crop of players all coming through at the time.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
I’d be happy then getting knocked out but getting the experience

It comes true pretty much every time we miss/look like we’re going to miss the CL.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. If you are doing a bad job at a side looking to finish top 4 then it probably follows that you're not going to be looking like finishing in the top 4...

We were well in the hunt for 4th when Conte left so that kinda contradicts yhe idea that 4th is be all and end all

As of today, we cannot be overtaken by the following :-

Crystal Palace .... ..... GW33
Wet Sham United . .... GW33
Bournemouth ..... ..... GW32
Wolverhampton Wand . GW32
Leeds United ..... ..... GW31
Everton ..... ..... ..... GW30
Nottingham Forest ..... GW30
Leicester City .... ..... GW30
Southampton ..... ..... GW30
Slow ...

I think you write the cup off and gamble on it
Accept yoi will get some bad results

I wouldn’t write off the Europa League. I think it’s well worth the effort to win it. Put it this way I’d rather win the EL than finish 2nd/3rd/4th in the premier league. So while some rotation is always necessary I wouldn’t make wholesale changes.

Funny, I think quite a lot of the fan base did agree, but many didn't like the fact he was stating it in public and especially after a poor run of form and without taking any responsibilities himself. Fans are a funny sort, we'll make all sorts of arguments and debates on here with a large range of opinions, but go outside the fan base and fans instinctively defend their tribe even if they otherwise disagree. The desire to protect the herd is very strong.
Our fans probably supported it in truth because watching us was making their eyes bleed.

OK so he was sacked for telling home truths about the owners of the club then…. Either way it has clearly fcuked our season.
And also throwing the entire team under the bus, you don't come back from that regardless of the owner comments.

Not ideal leaving Stel in, absolutely but on the flip side he was having to do alot of the heavy lifting because Conte was sick and sulking back in Italy.

The situation surrounding him, some unfortunate some, some self inflicted, was partly to blame for derailing the season as much as anything.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Really the question now is can we finish 5th - 7th in order that we end up in the Europa, rather than 8th and get dumped into the Conference league. In theory we could finish 9th but we'd need to seriously capitulate.

Villa's defeat to Utd and a difficult run-in suggests to me that they won't get to more than 62 points max. Brighton's last 7 includes all of the top 4 and Villa. Given that run-in, its possible that from their current 52 points they dont get byeond 62, but perhaps 62 is around where they finish.

Therefore 2 wins and 2 draws means one of those probably finish beneath us and we're at least 7th

Really the question now is can we finish 5th - 7th in order that we end up in the Europa, rather than 8th and get dumped into the Conference league. In theory we could finish 9th but we'd need to seriously capitulate.

Villa's defeat to Utd and a difficult run-in suggests to me that they won't get to more than 62 points max. Brighton's last 7 includes all of the top 4 and Villa. Given that run-in, its possible that from their current 52 points they dont get byeond 62, but perhaps 62 is around where they finish.

Therefore 2 wins and 2 draws means one of those probably finish beneath us and we're at least 7th

I’d take anything better than 8th right now- as that is where I feel we will be.

Back