• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Arsenal have signed a new 5-year shirt deal with Emirates at £30 million per season (currently £5.5 million). Their current stadium deal lasts until 2021.

Arsenal have signed a new 5-year shirt deal with Emirates at £30 million per season (currently £5.5 million). Their current stadium deal lasts until 2021.

I thought they'd extended the stadium deal as well, to 2028? It's what the Guardian reported, anyway.

Good business for them. Our double Autonomy-Investec deal was something like 20 million a season, wasn't it? Not far behind.

I thought they'd extended the stadium deal as well, to 2028? It's what the Guardian reported, anyway.

Good business for them. Our double Autonomy-Investec deal was something like 20 million a season, wasn't it? Not far behind.

Hadn't seen anyone report that, but it's as you say. The official statement also says it's a 5-year extension to their current deal, for a total of £150 million, until 2018/19. Going by that they shouldn't see any money until the 2014/15 campaign. Strange

They say the deal is £150 million, £30 million over five years. Then they say the stadium naming is extended for seven years as part of the deal.

Given Liverpool got £20m a year on their shirt deal, it doesn't seem that Arsenal have a good deal on the stadium.

They say the deal is £150 million, £30 million over five years. Then they say the stadium naming is extended for seven years as part of the deal.

Given Liverpool got £20m a year on their shirt deal, it doesn't seem that Arsenal have a good deal on the stadium.

It's to be taken in perspective. Emirates provided much of the money for the construction of the new stadium by paying the majority of their naming-rights money up-front. Arsenal's income from the stadium sponsorship, once it was completed, was virtually nothing. So this is a positive step in terms of income from naming-rights and shirt revenue.

We'll see much the same thing if we get a stadium and shirt sponsor too.

They could have gotten a lot more than that.
150m for 5 season of kit and 7 season of stadium.
That pretty much 25m a year on kit and stadium.
Emirates Marketing Project get 40m a year for kit and stadium.
United's new deal is 45m a year for kit
Liverpool's is 20m for kit
Sunderland's is 20m even.
Levy is looking for 400m over 20 years just for naming rights for the new stadium.

They could have gotten a lot more than that.
150m for 5 season of kit and 7 season of stadium.
That pretty much 25m a year on kit and stadium.
Emirates Marketing Project get 40m a year for kit and stadium.
United's new deal is 45m a year for kit
Liverpool's is 20m for kit
Sunderland's is 20m even.
Levy is looking for 400m over 20 years just for naming rights for the new stadium.

Emirates Marketing Project's deal is brokered and subsidized by Mansour, and everyone on Earth knows it.
United are England's most successful club, and boast a fan base, stadium, and revenue stream far superior to Arsenal's.
Liverpool's deal is due to some phenomenally good negotiating by NESV, and I doubt they'd see the same value again if they were to offer the rights now. Still, they also possess a larger global fanbase (or did, anyway), and a more successful history than Arsenal do, which is endlessly appealing to potential sponsors.
Sunderland's Invest in Africa deal is dodgier than it looks, considering that no one knows where IiA's principal source of funding comes from, beyond Tullow Oil, a company with a questionable rights record.

And Levy's dream of 400 million for the stadium has always sounded faintly ludicrous to me. Why any sponsor would pay that to get their name slapped on a stadium in a burnt-out, essentially deprived and poor neighborhood, which hosts a team which has only gotten into the Champions League once, and is only the sixth most succesful club in England, having not won a major trophy since the League Cup in 2008, and prior to that, in 1999....is beyond me. Arsenal approached it from a much stronger position and got less than half the amount Levy's expecting. And that from one of the world's leading airlines, at a time of global economic growth. Expecting 400 million during this current, gloomy world financial state is bordering on the delusional, and I doubt Levy expects anything like that now. Unless he's courting a care-free Qatari investment fund or something.

And Levy's dream of 400 million for the stadium has always sounded faintly ludicrous to me. ....

Expecting 400 million during this current, gloomy world financial state is bordering on the delusional, and I doubt Levy expects anything like that now. Unless he's courting a care-free Qatari investment fund or something.

I was going to say why is that Levy's dream rather than just one component in the financing ....

But I agree Levy is not expecting anything like it, The new Arsenal deal makes you wonder about a more plausible £10-15m pa deal

Emmanuel Frimpong switches national eligibility to Ghana from England

Oh noes, how could England possibly cope without him?

Would our neighbors be better off without Wenger?

Wenger is so much part of their identity, the way they play etc. and we saw last season how he can get a team playing. Is it the players at his disposal that is the problem? Or him? I hope he does go. I think it would be good for us.

Last edited:
Re: Would our neighbors be better off without Wenger?

I don't think so. Wenger doesn't have the money at Arsenal to go out and compete with the likes of City and Chelsea. That doesn't mean to say that they won't do in a few years (when the stadium is payed off) - that is what Arsenal fans have to put into perspective. He's finished top four for the last GHod knows how many years, no mean feat.

Have we not learnt our lesson from last season with the mind the gap stuff...

Still think he can turn their season around. He's done it before and he'll do it again. I'm just happy we're where we are right now.

Strictly speaking they're Charlton's neighbours - they've just been squatting near us.

Have we not learnt our lesson from last season with the mind the gap stuff...

good point, despite the gap in ability of playing staff there was still a massive gap in ability of the manager

they would be far worse off without him

Well it's certainly not Wenger as he has proved time and time again how good a manager he is.

No, they'd do worse. Long term would be critical too. Wenger does ALOT for that club. From the first team to the very youth.

Well it's certainly not Wenger as he has proved time and time again how good a manager he is.

But he must approve the player purchases. And they have been lacking for years now. They spend more than us, have more revenue than us, he must be doing something wrong?

The calls for him to get sacked get louder every year...and every year he manages to turn things around and get them playing good football again.

Back