• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Re: Would our neighbors be better off without Wenger?

Arsenal can't compete with United, Chelsea or City but have a clear advantage over the rest. So fourth should be considered par. When Arsenal were winning they tended to be 2nd or 3rd highest wage payers. The three titles was overachieving. Arsenal fans got used to this, hence the disquiet now.

A change of manager is disruptive, even if it can give a temporary boost. If Arsenal's fans drive him away, it would be funny but very unfair on Wenger. They'd be better off supporting him and letting him arrange the transition when he is ready to leave.

But he must approve the player purchases. And they have been lacking for years now. They spend more than us, have more revenue than us, he must be doing something wrong?

they are still buying the best players they can, unless they can match city/utd/chelsea and pay 200k a week they are stuck with second tier players

He is the one keeping them in contention season after season. He is making below average players into decent players. Without him this side would finish midtable.

They are.. 10th? tonight? they won't finish there.

they are still buying the best players they can, unless they can match city/utd/chelsea and pay 200k a week they are stuck with second tier players

They're buying the best midfielders they can. The rest of the team is a mess. Wenger was lucky when he took over he had that defence.

We've been burnt by his teams so we're all pretty much in agreement. Playing devils advocate then:

He's studborn and always wants to prove that his way is right.

He is under pressure, lacks fresh approaches, has his age has caught up with him? From a scum forum:

For all the faults of Ferguson, Mancini and such, they at least try new things and experiment with the squad - not just player wise, but tactically as well. Wenger has been playing the EXACT same formation for years and years now.

Now, this wouldn't be such a problem if the player material was there for it, but it isn't. Transfer wise, it's always 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Perhaps that's not the fault of Wenger - we don't know - but he's unwillingness to try something different is a real problem.

He used to be an absolute wizard in the transfer market. The invincibles were for the most part (in my opinion) so exceptional because of the player material, not the tactics. It was a team consisting of a world class defence inherited from your former manager, a world class midfield with some of the best midfielders of all time and arguably the 2 best forwards the PL has ever seen up top!

His tactics have always been reliant on massive player ability. There's an emphasis on ability rather than tactics. He simply doesn't have the resources to be able to put the focus on ability anymore. It's for that reason, combined with his stubborness, that is say yes, he's peaked as a manager for Arsenal

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with a discussion about whether a manager should still be in charge of a team, it's not like we're ripping the tinkle out of them in this thread.

IMO no they wouldn't, it will take quite a few years for them to recover once Wenger leaves. Same United and Fergie.

I said it last year and I stick by it. Move Wenger upstairs and bring in Blanc.

I said it last year and I stick by it. Move Wenger upstairs and bring in Blanc.
What exactly does moving Wenger upstairs involve? Because any manager of any stature is going to want 100% control of the team without Wenger haunting the shadows. (Not a Hank Marvin reference).

What exactly does moving Wenger upstairs involve? Because any manager of any stature is going to want 100% control of the team without Wenger haunting the shadows. (Not a Hank Marvin reference).

As long as Wenger is happy it would be a good move. He's good at bringing through young talent.. and then selling it off.

As long as Wenger is happy it would be a good move. He's good at bringing through young talent.. and then selling it off.
If Wenger is going to decide who's bought and sold then no manager of any stature is going to accept the job, however, if he we to say to Wenger "Get me player X at the best price" or "I'm done with player Y, get me the best price for him" then that would be a different scenario. All imho of course.

If Wenger is going to decide who's bought and sold then no manager of any stature is going to accept the job ...

Probably not true or Chelsea would have a problem finding managers.

But without monetary incentive, I agree. What might work is a young coach with ideas getting a big promotion.

*** Let's all laugh at Arsenal ***

I just can't help myself

There's no RVP to bail them out this time

This is the year that it all comes crumbling down

Let's all laugh at Arsenal

And mugs like Piers macaron, the mockney fat tongued mong, and the fat gay one from little Britain

And the majority of the English press and Soccer Saturday

:ross:

Re: *** Let's all laugh at Arsenal ***

jumpingoutofwindow.gif

Back