• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

I liked Dempsey, he had an intensity in his play that was different to what we had at the time. Shame he only stayed the one season really.

Personally I would sell Lamela back to Italy and bring him would probably end 15m u on transfers and have what I think is a better player.
Don't fix what is not broken is my opinion. Lamela is doing fine at the moment and we've no need to cash in on him any time soon. I have a feeling that there are few more levels for young Lamela to go up also.
I'd like Wijnaldum too though.

I've been really impressed with Lamella but he needs to take more of his goal Spring chances to take that next step up

I dont see us selling him any time soon

I could see Wijnaldum replacing someone like Chadli though

You see I am not hating on Lamela I have been impressed with his turn around this season, but as you point out he needs to score more, also to learn to release the ball a bit quicker at times, working on his right foot would not go amiss either.

I think Wijnaldum is perfectly suited to this league and would be great in our team, getting rid of Chadli and using Wijnaldum as an upgrade would work as I still do not think Chadli works hard enough for the team or has the constant pressing that Poch wants.

Think we would get a good fee from Italy for Lamela and though he is far from bad I am not sure he is as well suited to the prem as Wijnaldum.

So if we get champions league football, what type of players should we be looking at? Surely trying to get a world class player or 2 would be obvious but who is out there that would fit our system? And what position?

I personally think a real top quality forward should come in to replace Chadli and a deep lying playmaker. I think Bentaleb and Carrol will be sold and i think we need to stengthen that position with someone with top level experience.

We also need a back up for Kane and i think it will end up being Berahino.

What do you think?

fudge it, sell Chadli, Fazio, Bentaleb and Carroll and Splash £50m on Payet and Mahrez to play either side of Eriksen/Alli.

So if we get champions league football, what type of players should we be looking at? Surely trying to get a world class player or 2 would be obvious but who is out there that would fit our system? And what position?

Exactly the same type of players as we would get if we got EL: Under 23. Low profile. Hardworking but technical. Strong but collaborative mentality.

I don't think there's any danger of Poch signing a high profile player with the ego, baggage and squad upsetting potential that comes with it.

I still want Dembele from Fulham for CF, but then would prefer to see Bentaleb and 2CV backed for 4th CM and 4th CB.

Exactly the same type of players as we would get if we got EL: Under 23. Low profile. Hardworking but technical. Strong but collaborative mentality.

I don't think there's any danger of Poch signing a high profile player with the ego, baggage and squad upsetting potential that comes with it.

I agree that it will be business as usual, we will try and sign players who can become world class rather than sign the finished article.

In terms of business, would just need one striker (most likely Saido) and someone who can play CB and DM, to replace fazio in the squad. Who that player is specifically, I'm not too sure, but I'd imagine someone fairly high profile with CL experience would be beneficial. javi martinez for example, just had a look and he's only played 15 games or so for Bayern, I think we could attract someone of his caliber.

The shame being of this, that Nabil would most likely be moved on but the fact that he's barely getting on the pitch at such a hectic part of the season speaks volumes. Not over til the yada yada yada but it doesn't look great for the lad's future with us at present....

In terms of business, would just need one striker (most likely Saido) and someone who can play CB and DM, to replace fazio in the squad. Who that player is specifically, I'm not too sure, but I'd imagine someone fairly high profile with CL experience would be beneficial. javi martinez for example, just had a look and he's only played 15 games or so for Bayern, I think we could attract someone of his caliber.

The shame being of this, that Nabil would most likely be moved on but the fact that he's barely getting on the pitch at such a hectic part of the season speaks volumes. Not over til the yada yada yada but it doesn't look great for the lad's future with us at present....

You want to sign javi Martinez, for c.£20m, as cover for Alder?

You want to sign javi Martinez, for c.£20m, as cover for Alder?

As I mentioned, the player's ability at DM is as important as the ability to cover for either centre back.

In every other position bar striker and defensive midfielder, if we had a long term injury there's someone who can step in and perform at a high level. Imagine if we didn't get any cover and Dier does a cruciate in the first game after the transfer window next season. In dier's absence, no one has given reassurance that they can step up to what is a very important role in the way we play. I had a terrific view tactically of the game at Villa park yesterday, and often Dier would move five feet back to form the back three whilst both fullbacks were their respective sides of the half way line.

So yes, I would want Martinez (or someone of similar quality) to be often a first choice player but also to act as cover for Alder, Verts, Wimmer and Dier in what could turn out to be a fifty 50 season where they all matter. We need a squad that's fit to win, it's all well and good sucking each other off over being in the title race, but to do so we've thrown away big opportunities to actually win (as opposed to potentially win) trophies due to a lack of true quality in the ST and DM position.

Ideally I'd want us to find another Dier, to spend maybe 3/4 million, but it takes time to do so and also a young player has to be given time to bed in. Alongside my two proposed signings I would want us to look at younger talent for the U18s/U21's no doubt but I think moving in to next season I would like readymade key signings to be made. When we speak about Javi, I'm in no way hugely knowledgeable about the player as I honestly haven't even seen him play this season, it's more about the experience, versatility and nous the player can bring in. For what someone like him or another with a similar profile would do for our squad 20m would not be such a bad price.

I would love it if we signed him but he wouldn't be coming to us. If Javi Martinez becomes available then I would suspect that 2-3 clubs just in this country would be a greater pull to him long term and I would suspect that PSG, Barca and Real Madrid would be heavily interested too. I think he has played so few games because he has struggled with injury this season but I might be wrong.

I have to agree with spurspinter1, regardless of what happens for the rest of this season, next season we are going to be a marked team.
Everyone is going to up their game against us. Next season is potentially our biggest for a long time, we don't want to slip back and perceived as being a one season wonder.

I would love it if we signed him but he wouldn't be coming to us. If Javi Martinez becomes available then I would suspect that 2-3 clubs just in this country would be a greater pull to him long term and I would suspect that PSG, Barca and Real Madrid would be heavily interested too. I think he has played so few games because he has struggled with injury this season but I might be wrong.

Fair points, but I would stress that it's not that player specifically that I think we need, but a player of a similar capacity. To some this may sound silly, but having a Sandro at top form would be a valuable addition, I always thought he would be a very capable center back.

I think Pochettinho values versatility, wanting a close knit group of players who can not just fill in but have a really positive effect when stepping in to the team after perhaps a few games out. My belief is that there is a lot of talent coming through at a great time, but one or two quality additions will improve the squad as a whole but also give us more of a means of mixing it up.

Fair points, but I would stress that it's not that player specifically that I think we need, but a player of a similar capacity. To some this may sound silly, but having a Sandro at top form would be a valuable addition, I always thought he would be a very capable center back.

I think Pochettinho values versatility, wanting a close knit group of players who can not just fill in but have a really positive effect when stepping in to the team after perhaps a few games out. My belief is that there is a lot of talent coming through at a great time, but one or two quality additions will improve the squad as a whole but also give us more of a means of mixing it up.

Someone that can do both would be good. Failing that, as I said earlier in this thread, Granit Xhaka would be a great addition. 23 years old, vastly experienced at international and domestic level already, can play DM or CM with ease. Get him in and a prospect at CB who can grow which would also allow Dier to move between both roles and hone his craft.

As I mentioned, the player's ability at DM is as important as the ability to cover for either centre back.

In every other position bar striker and defensive midfielder, if we had a long term injury there's someone who can step in and perform at a high level. Imagine if we didn't get any cover and Dier does a cruciate in the first game after the transfer window next season. In dier's absence, no one has given reassurance that they can step up to what is a very important role in the way we play. I had a terrific view tactically of the game at Villa park yesterday, and often Dier would move five feet back to form the back three whilst both fullbacks were their respective sides of the half way line.

So yes, I would want Martinez (or someone of similar quality) to be often a first choice player but also to act as cover for Alder, Verts, Wimmer and Dier in what could turn out to be a fifty 50 season where they all matter. We need a squad that's fit to win, it's all well and good sucking each other off over being in the title race, but to do so we've thrown away big opportunities to actually win (as opposed to potentially win) trophies due to a lack of true quality in the ST and DM position.

Ideally I'd want us to find another Dier, to spend maybe 3/4 million, but it takes time to do so and also a young player has to be given time to bed in. Alongside my two proposed signings I would want us to look at younger talent for the U18s/U21's no doubt but I think moving in to next season I would like readymade key signings to be made. When we speak about Javi, I'm in no way hugely knowledgeable about the player as I honestly haven't even seen him play this season, it's more about the experience, versatility and nous the player can bring in. For what someone like him or another with a similar profile would do for our squad 20m would not be such a bad price.

A motivated Bentaleb could be all that and more. I'm not sure there are many brighter prospects in European football for a 'young Carrick'.

Same with 2CV and 4th CB. We've got all the potential we need in-house already

Back