• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

I have to agree with spurspinter1, regardless of what happens for the rest of this season, next season we are going to be a marked team.
Everyone is going to up their game against us. Next season is potentially our biggest for a long time, we don't want to slip back and perceived as being a one season wonder.
Always a target as defending champions ;)

A motivated Bentaleb could be all that and more. I'm not sure there are many brighter prospects in European football for a 'young Carrick'.

Same with 2CV and 4th CB. We've got all the potential we need in-house already

You think Bentaleb is comparable in style to Carrick? And that there are no better young players in that mould in Europe?

You think Bentaleb is comparable in style to Carrick? And that there are no better young players in that mould in Europe?

A ballplaying DM who reads the game well.

And yes, I think he's as good or better than most of the usual Football Manager names like Tielemans, Halilovic, Tolisso, Kovacic, Meyer, Bazoer etc. People just prefer shiny new toys.

And yes, I think he's as good or better than most of the usual Football Manager names like Tielemans, Halilovic, Tolisso, Kovacic, Meyer, Bazoer etc. People just prefer shiny new toys.

recently you said Mason and Bentaleb played as a double pivot and iirc you spent most of the summer saying we didn't play with a defensive midfielder last season and since then you've argued that Dier doesn't play as a DM this season - are you now saying the opposite - that we did play with a DM and that Mason and Bentaleb weren't playing as a double pivot?

Bentaleb is much more of a Box to Box midfielder (than a ball playing DM), imo and spent most of last season playing in tandem with Mason who played a similar role to him - hence double pivot, both sharing the same roles, getting up and down the pitch helping out defensively and pitching in supporting the attack. Asides from his recent spate of trying hollywood passes far too often i wouldn't have described him as much of a 'ballplayer' (when in comparison to a player like Carrick) he's much more of a recycler of possession with quick close range passing.

as for your shiny toy catchphrase :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind Wanyama replacing Bentaleb. He knows Poch's methods and would provide quality cover/competition with Dier. Helps us to maintain that physical edge.

Tottenham are interested in making a transfer move for Mainz attacking midfielder Yunus Malli, according to reports in Germany.

Malli, who Spurs were tracking in January, has scored 23 goals in 111 appearances for Mainz since making his debut in 2011 but the 24-year-old looks set to leave the Bundesliga outfit at the end of the season.

Kicker say Spurs are very keen on the Turkey international and could attempt to sign him in the summer transfer window.

Mauricio Pochettino is looking to bring attacking reinforcements to White Hart Lane and it’s understood Malli is one of many targets being considered.

Valencia and Borussia Dortmund are also believed to be weighing up a move for the highly-rated star.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/14/tottenham-highly-interested-in-yunus-malli-transfer-move-5752126

While I agree that I'd rather promote through the academy, I'd disagree that Bentaleb is on par as a prospect with Tielemans (they are REALLY different players tbh). I can't speak for the rest of them as I haven't seen them (though Bazoer is by almost all accounts a far better prospect than Nabil), but I've seen YT quite a bit. I'm hoping that we got for quality over quantity this summer, and I think Tielemans is the one to buy. I think he can come into the squad straight away and play in a number of different positions for us. I could see him starting out in the Carroll role (a sub in the Prem, starter in Cups), but by mid-season cementing himself as a first-team regular.

For me, Nabil's role is a bit trickier. I think, as of today, he HAS to play with a committed defensive midfielder (really, Dier only), as defensive positioning isn't his forte. And I'm not sure he's incisive enough to replace Dembele as our deep-lying playmaker, and I think someone like Tielemans would be such a more natural long-term fit in that role. He's a great talent, and obviously I want him to stay and play with us for many years, but I think he's gotta find a role in the squad sooner rather than later.

I agree that it will be business as usual, we will try and sign players who can become world class rather than sign the finished article.
If we were to push the boat out, I'd really like us to get Lukaku.
What a monstrous front pairing that'd be.

Of course, we'd then have to start playing with a front pairing...

If we were to push the boat out, I'd really like us to get Lukaku.
What a monstrous front pairing that'd be.

Of course, we'd then have to start playing with a front pairing...

After what Martinez has said today I'd go for him. He's the right age, has plenty of experience and is a terrific player, he could easily play with Kane as Kane can play anywhere up front.

After what Martinez has said today I'd go for him. He's the right age, has plenty of experience and is a terrific player, he could easily play with Kane as Kane can play anywhere up front.

I don't think we could get him, as he'd be soooo expensive, but a lot of your points about RL could be made about Batshuayi, except he'd likely be a little more affordable. He'd be an ideal summer signing.

I sit next to an Everton fan at work and he can't stand Lukaku because Lukaku thinks he is a nifty tricky dribbler, always trying to jink in and out and nutmeg and trick and fall flat on his face, rather than just being the big powerful goalscorer he should be. True he scored a great goal yesterday jinking in and out but my colleague thinks he'd be far more effective if he played to his strengths (try to be Drogba) rather than his weaknesses (trying to be Messi)

Exactly the same type of players as we would get if we got EL: Under 23. Low profile. Hardworking but technical. Strong but collaborative mentality.

I don't think there's any danger of Poch signing a high profile player with the ego, baggage and squad upsetting potential that comes with it.

I still want Dembele from Fulham for CF, but then would prefer to see Bentaleb and 2CV backed for 4th CM and 4th CB.

If we get Champions League football not buying a top quality player or 2 will be a mistake imo and i doubt we would compete on both fronts. The game against Dortmund shows the difference in class and even with a full strength we would have lossed imo. Not every top quality player has an ego. VDV, Davids didn't seem to have much of an ego.

If we get Champions League football not buying a top quality player or 2 will be a mistake imo and i doubt we would compete on both fronts. The game against Dortmund shows the difference in class and even with a full strength we would have lossed imo. Not every top quality player has an ego. VDV, Davids didn't seem to have much of an ego.

Not sure that I would agree with that.

There are less games to progress in the CL than the EL. If we qualify and then get out of the group stage, it would be less taxing.

I just cannot see us moving away from the transfer policy that we have seen so far under Poch. He clearly seems to favour working with young players and we are not going to break the bank just as the stadium build steps up.

Back