• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Future Squad

Is this the thread where we summarize our January transfer window?

Hard to not look at our dealings as impressive, even more so when you consider how little of note other clubs have done.

In terms of outgoings there's been a few that feel bittersweet albeit required to move forwards, plugged a huge gap at CB for long term, a short term low risk audition for a quality forward and got Maddison's heir apparent sorted for the summer. If rumours to be believed getting in ahead of Munich and Barca, which isn't too shabby.

I'd say we couldn't ask for more but maybe CM was that potential area to improve however we can't have it all. Plus Sarr + Yves to come back soonish helps.

Without wishing to turn it in to an opportunity to slag off hitchen based on one single quote that reflects the general feeling regarding the window, it is impressive how we've been able to be much more productive of late in January.

The squad is looking in a much healthier place, not just referring to injuries. Walking in to the season with no dedicated back up 1st team CB apart from Dier meant we were walking a tightrope inevitably to fall off, despite both Royal and Davies stepping in admirably.

Despite the improvements, when I think about it we could still do with more at LB assuming Sess will never be properly fit, a more suitable back up instead of Forster, the upgrade on PEH plus a tricky forward who can score goals.....Not too much on the list for the summer then i guess!

I've no time for hitchen, but it’s a different landscape now both at the club and in the market generally.

Youngsters need a pathway, but not at the expense of success on the pitch - if they are ready to be a part of a winning team include them, otherwise err on the side of established quality
Depends on the youngster imo.

I think it's sometimes worth it to take the gamble that they will be able to step up, perhaps even if it takes a bit of time for them to settle in (as is also often the case with new signings). A slight short term hit for the medium to long term benefits.

There will be times when what you suggest will be the best choice. But there will also be times when that blocks the development of a talented youngster that may be a detriment to success medium to long term.

All about individual situations imo. And as always the people actually at the club are in a much better situation to make these decisions than me, but I hope we don't always err on the side of established players.

Is this the thread where we summarize our January transfer window?

Hard to not look at our dealings as impressive, even more so when you consider how little of note other clubs have done.

In terms of outgoings there's been a few that feel bittersweet albeit required to move forwards, plugged a huge gap at CB for long term, a short term low risk audition for a quality forward and got Maddison's heir apparent sorted for the summer. If rumours to be believed getting in ahead of Munich and Barca, which isn't too shabby.

I'd say we couldn't ask for more but maybe CM was that potential area to improve however we can't have it all. Plus Sarr + Yves to come back soonish helps.

Without wishing to turn it in to an opportunity to slag off hitchen based on one single quote that reflects the general feeling regarding the window, it is impressive how we've been able to be much more productive of late in January.

The squad is looking in a much healthier place, not just referring to injuries. Walking in to the season with no dedicated back up 1st team CB apart from Dier meant we were walking a tightrope inevitably to fall off, despite both Royal and Davies stepping in admirably.

Despite the improvements, when I think about it we could still do with more at LB assuming Sess will never be properly fit, a more suitable back up instead of Forster, the upgrade on PEH plus a tricky forward who can score goals.....Not too much on the list for the summer then i guess!

The recruitment from the moment Paratici stepped in, moving forward has clearly improved

The squad will continue to need work, to constantly improve (and our willingness to move on from players like Sanchez, Dier, Lloris and highly likely PEH) is a good sign

I think a big part of it is the club seems a lot more cohesive in strategy now, we have a style that helps define the type of player we need, we have a manager that will clearly (internally) state what he needs, we have many more people in football positions which likely gives us not just contacts but the bandwidth to do more, and we have retained that thing that we used to do so well (find bright upcoming players) plus maybe, just maybe the years of us playing by the rules financially has finally meant something.

The real trick from here is -> first team has to deliver (top 4 this year would be a good step), and we have to figure out a model where some percentage of those Veliz, Phillips, Bergval, Vuskovic buys plus some of Moore, Devine, Scarlett, etc. make it through

We'll have to wait and see on the Swede - at 18 years old he could be lined up for a year or two on loan before properly joining up with the first team squad.

I'd also expect Skipp to be seen as a 5th CM rather than one of the 4 competing for 2 starting places.

Targets for me being

LB - rotation
CM - rotation
AM - rotation
LWF - starting/Son dependant
CF - starting/Son dependant

I would say LB, RB (be that youth or young talent). CM would be one area they would look for strength then a Neto (seeing as he is hot) esq player who can play along the front line.

The rest I would expect to be made up of up and coming youth and or players who help for HG if we make the CL

The recruitment from the moment Paratici stepped in, moving forward has clearly improved

The squad will continue to need work, to constantly improve (and our willingness to move on from players like Sanchez, Dier, Lloris and highly likely PEH) is a good sign

I think a big part of it is the club seems a lot more cohesive in strategy now, we have a style that helps define the type of player we need, we have a manager that will clearly (internally) state what he needs, we have many more people in football positions which likely gives us not just contacts but the bandwidth to do more, and we have retained that thing that we used to do so well (find bright upcoming players) plus maybe, just maybe the years of us playing by the rules financially has finally meant something.

The real trick from here is -> first team has to deliver (top 4 this year would be a good step), and we have to figure out a model where some percentage of those Veliz, Phillips, Bergval, Vuskovic buys plus some of Moore, Devine, Scarlett, etc. make it through
The impact from Udogie and Sarr makes me hopeful on the model for young talented players we've signed.

Yet to see real signs of academy players stepping up under Ange, but still early. Some of those closest to breaking through perhaps out on loan. Others perhaps in need of a loan first. Natural that it takes time. But definitely agree that it should be part of the model.

Not convinced. He's a bit like the Kalvin Phillips of wingers. A purple patch under Bielsa, but pretty mediocre otherwise.

Also seems the wrong side, age profile and wage profile for us.

I'd agree, not a fan .. unless we felt a swap GLC for him would work for both parties?

Also said Neto was on the list

Makes more sense in terms of age and salary. But he seems to have chronic injury issues.

Also with Kulu (23) and Johnson (22), our right side is pretty locked down for the foreseeable. Whereas with Son (31), plus Gil and Solomon not convincing yet, plus Werner only on loan, it's the left that potentially needs looking at.

Makes more sense in terms of age and salary. But he seems to have chronic injury issues.

Also with Kulu (23) and Johnson (22), our right side is pretty locked down for the foreseeable. Whereas with Son (31), plus Gil and Solomon not convincing yet, plus Werner only on loan, it's the left that potentially needs looking at.
I quite like Chris Furich at Stuttgart for a left sider.

No we dont need anyone in the wide positions.

We have Solomon, Werner, Son, Johnson, Kulusevski and in 18 months Mikey Moore will join the first team squad and quickly make one of the wide positions his own.

No we dont need anyone in the wide positions.

We have Solomon, Werner, Son, Johnson, Kulusevski and in 18 months Mikey Moore will join the first team squad and quickly make one of the wide positions his own.
Ok, let me rephrase. We need quality in the wide spaces which I do not believe we truly have.

We have some decent options I guess. Son I think is physically past playing that role based on theast 2 seasons. Kulu is a very good player but has lacked edge playing out there for longer than he had it. The rest of the them are pretty meh imo and are not players who if they were playing at their current levels anywhere else I would be interested in signing.

Back