• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Fight to Qualify for the European Conference League 2020/21

Really, last season, being the season after the CL final, Poch last season etc, did we not have a run at the start of the season playing a run of tough away fixtures including Liverpool, City and utd or Chelsea.
I must be miiss remembering!
Yep, really
Not sure what season your referring too
This year we have that difficult run next after the internationals

We didn’t have one like that past season
I’d say it’s highly unusual to play 4 of the BIG clubs within a 5 game period for us
I think the run coming up City Chelsea Arsenal Liverpool Leicester ...would have contributed to Jose being tinkled off in Antwerp as a win there and on Thursday would have all but secured qualification in the EL and he c.ould of then been as flexible as he liked in that run of tricky games.

I think the run coming up City Chelsea Arsenal Liverpool Leicester ...would have contributed to Jose being tinkled off in Antwerp as a win there and on Thursday would have all but secured qualification in the EL and he c.ould of then been as flexible as he liked in that run of tricky games.
TBF the Home games are much easier in Europe now so we will still canter through the group

and these teams are also playing in Europe

I agree with this. He has to take some of the blame however as the interplay between the players has to be coached into them by him. After the changes the interplay seemed haphaxard even if we did improve somewhat.
That run we have coming up will only be overcome via good coaching...let's hope Jose can show that, rather than just relying on our players being better than the opposition.

COYS

Sorry, what are you basing this on? No crowds in stadiums i think has been a massive leveller...
Teams don’t travel well
Nothing to do with crowds
We played a Belgian team who are unbeaten at home for some time but I don’t think they will be of the same league away

Teams don’t travel well
Nothing to do with crowds
We played a Belgian team who are unbeaten at home for some time but I don’t think they will be of the same league away

I'd say they'd be as motivated as ever top beat us when they get to WHL and they also wont have to worry about our fervent fans intimidating them...

I'd say they'd be as motivated as ever top beat us when they get to WHL and they also wont have to worry about our fervent fans intimidating them...
Don’t disagree but I also believe in Europe that teams struggle with a multitude of things such as travel, unfamiliarity with the stadium and pitch and teams generally being better in their home environment. That’s hasn’t gone away
Fans would have an impact but it’s not always a good one. Our fans can be very negative and create a pressure on our players due to expectations , whereas lesser sides need their fans more for the extra man they bring.I’d never say we’re intimidating at the new ground

Don’t disagree but I also believe in Europe that teams struggle with a multitude of things such as travel, unfamiliarity with the stadium and pitch and teams generally being better in their home environment. That’s hasn’t gone away
Fans would have an impact but it’s not always a good one. Our fans can be very negative and create a pressure on our players due to expectations , whereas lesser sides need their fans more for the extra man they bring.I’d never say we’re intimidating at the new ground

Interesting...why do you say teams struggle in Europe with those things i bolded, more than English clubs?

Interesting...why do you say teams struggle in Europe with those things i bolded, more than English clubs?
I didn’t say English sides don’t have those issues
I’d say it’s common. However what you can get is a very partisan home crowd at lesser sides having an affect, and also weather variables like playing in Russia or Scandinavia over winter having an impact

I didn’t say English sides don’t have those issues
I’d say it’s common. However what you can get is a very partisan home crowd at lesser sides having an affect, and also weather variables like playing in Russia or Scandinavia over winter having an impact

I'd say English sides and European sides have to face the same issues, including partisan crowds at lesser teams. However, i'd agree that for smaller teams not having that does mean that in our group there may be games away that we might have found harder if those crowds are present. Seeing as they're not we can have a lot less excuse if we balls up the group stage (and by that i mean either not making it through or making the last game stressful enough that we can't play a semi-reserve line-up)..

I'd say English sides and European sides have to face the same issues, including partisan crowds at lesser teams. However, i'd agree that for smaller teams not having that does mean that in our group there may be games away that we might have found harder if those crowds are present. Seeing as they're not we can have a lot less excuse if we balls up the group stage (and by that i mean either not making it through or making the last game stressful enough that we can't play a semi-reserve line-up)..
Yeah I agree fully
Going away to Panathanaikos for example like the other season would have been very different without fans
Similarly we played someone recently (Ref Star I think) who had a tunnel of death and their fans to go mental constantly and we killed that off quickly with early goals

Or it’s the same for all of us
I guess a key is we will be home for 2 of the Europa games in that spell and others may be away more. I haven’t checked though
I think this is where we see things differently.

I think you said the same when i posted that if we can get our defence together it could really give us a shot at something. You said 'but everyones defence is tinkle poor this year'.

That's exactly the point, a potential differentiator, when in this league, there are usually not many.

I don't find comfort in the 'other' teams having the same problem as us, i see an oppurtunity.

In respects to the EL, it is a burden. If it is easier,? then it should be a burden on our terms as much as possible.

I think this is where we see things differently.

I think you said the same when i posted that if we can get our defence together it could really give us a shot at something. You said 'but everyones defence is tinkle poor this year'.

That's exactly the point, a potential differentiator, when in this league, there are usually not many.

I don't find comfort in the 'other' teams having the same problem as us, i see an oppurtunity.

In respects to the EL, it is a burden. If it is easier,? then it should be a burden on our terms as much as possible.
Everything is an opportunity if we get it right
Or a failing do we don’t

I agree with your thoughts by the way. The league IMO is one that’s winnable this season for a few a teams

EL aid what it is. I think we see it as a viable source of a trophy and CL again

I also think the clubs agenda will change towards the league as the season goes on

But that’s the same for every club too

Or it’s the same for all of us
I guess a key is we will be home for 2 of the Europa games in that spell and others may be away more. I haven’t checked though

Emirates Marketing Project - International Break - us (Sat) - Olympiakos (Away - Weds)

Chelsea - Rennes (Away - Tues) - us (Sun) - Sevilla (Away - Weds)

Arsenal - Rapid Vienna (Home - Thurs) - us (Sun? TBC) - Dundalk (Away - Thurs)

Back