• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

Matija Nastasic could be worth pursuing, looked decent in his first few matches, young and can grow still.

De Vrij is apparently available for 7 million since he's in his last contract year.
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/489914/Lazio-struggle-to-meet-Stefan-De-Vrij-valuation-opening-door-for-Manchester-United

Decent world cup, still 22 years and can fill in at right back - allowing us to sell Naughton for close to if not the same money. No brainer, me thinks....

I wonder if we'll see Southampton in for him? At that price one would assume Koeman would want him if he's any good?

Pete O'Rourke ‏@SkySportsPeteO 8m
Reports in Croatia claim Liverpool have agreed a deal with Southampton for Dejan Lovren. #lfc #saintsfc

#not good

Pete O'Rourke ‏@SkySportsPeteO 8m
Reports in Croatia claim Liverpool have agreed a deal with Southampton for Dejan Lovren. #lfc #saintsfc

#not good

Personally, I think if this means we get Morgan Schneiderlin, that's a pill I can swallow...

I wonder whether we could pick up Phil Jones with LVG being rumoured to having a bit of a clear out?

I think he has suffered from having to fill in in so many positions, but will become an excellent centre half if allowed to just play in this position.

I wonder whether we could pick up Phil Jones with LVG being rumoured to having a bit of a clear out?

I think he has suffered from having to fill in in so many positions, but will become an excellent centre half if allowed to just play in this position.

Agree with that, remember we was linked with him when at Blackburn before Man U swoooped in for him - apparently prepared to pay around the £20m mark. Could imagine him being available for less than that now....

So now that Lovren looks like he's on his way to Liverpool, who realistally can we target to fill the Dawson "ball-to-head-magnet" hole that's likely to appear in our defence this window?

So now that Lovren looks like he's on his way to Liverpool, who realistally can we target to fill the Dawson "ball-to-head-magnet" hole that's likely to appear in our defence this window?

Toby Alderweireld from Atletico Madrid would be a decent shout for me. He's already played with Jan before, and he's quite physical and aggressive when compared to Jan, so he'd make a good foil for him. Don't know if Atletico would let him go, mind, given their struggles to keep Miranda at the club.

If not Alderweireld, then perhaps one of United's soon-to-be unwanted defenders could fill the gap: take your pick from one of Phil Jones, Chris Smalling or Jonny Evans. Long term, we should be looking at Veljkovic to step up and fill the gap, so planning needs to be oriented around that consideration as well.

I know this may sound a bit random but for me the nation that is king of defenders is Italy and I'm sure there must be some decent ones there that are buyable for sensible money

Also normally some solid defenders in the Eastern European sides

I know it's generalising but worth a look which I'm sure we are

I still have a view that we don't need any if we actually get the team organised. Pew showed last year under AVBs defensive system that we can defend in a very unspurs like way. If we get better organised this year and arguably fitter we can defend from the front for nice and that will help the defenders overall

I suppose the unknown is the Pochettino factor.

Under HR, Younes was the mustard. For me Kaboul has always had at least one mistake in him per game. But there was a spell when he looked the part. He strikes me as a player who benefits greatly from good advice, coaching and praise. Physically he's a beast. But has to keep his awareness and confidence running high.

Then Vertonghen and Chiricheș who are both decent. With Daws or a youth player as back up.

If Pochettino can setup the defence well, get them playing as a unit, we may not sign a new CB. More or less the same personnel were quite frugal in the past.

Press are linking us with Mehdi Benatia. If we are in for him as I said on page 2 of this thread he'd be an excellent signing, has all the attributes to be a commanding central defender.

Phil Jones is an awful player, hasn't developed at all the last couple of years

Phil Jones is an awful player, hasn't developed at all the last couple of years

I think that's because he has been asked to constantly switch between centre half, full back and central midfield. I think if you brought him in as a centre half and trained and played him only in that position now then he would mature into a very good player indeed, after all he has all the attributes required to be successful in that position.

I know this may sound a bit random but for me the nation that is king of defenders is Italy and I'm sure there must be some decent ones there that are buyable for sensible money

Also normally some solid defenders in the Eastern European sides

I know it's generalising but worth a look which I'm sure we are

I still have a view that we don't need any if we actually get the team organised. Pew showed last year under AVBs defensive system that we can defend in a very unspurs like way. If we get better organised this year and arguably fitter we can defend from the front for nice and that will help the defenders overall

Benatia

I think that's because he has been asked to constantly switch between centre half, full back and central midfield. I think if you brought him in as a centre half and trained and played him only in that position now then he would mature into a very good player indeed, after all he has all the attributes required to be successful in that position.

Apart from reading of the game.

Back