• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

Re: Central defenders

not sure if he is interested to play as CB - he's definitely in the mould of a classic walking-marauding DM if you asked me.

He makes Dawson look quick and mobile. No thanks. In Holland they nicknamed him 'Roncrete' (ie concrete) - most people thought it was because he was tough however the real reason was because when he runs he looks like he running through quick-drying concrete

Really? Never noticed that one.

Tried paying attention to this in particular in the Holland - Argentina game. Two occasions stuck in my mind. One early in the second half where Messi was released, Vlaar had to turn and run whereas Messi was running straight ahead. The situation came to nothing (offside, or the ball was hit too hard), but Vlaar didn't look slow or immobile at all. He obviously wasn't as quick as Messi, but he wasn't left for dead either.

The second is obviously the tackle on Messi as Messi was looking to create space at the edge of the box. Doesn't show pace I suppose, but showed relatively quick feet to get down and make the tackle in a situation where most defenders are left behind.

Was mentioned in the football weekly podcast that Vlaar amongst others had been motivated by Robben and his dedication to improvement and in training. Could it be that some extra training in recent years has made Vlaar a bit more mobile than he was in Holland?

Really? Never noticed that one.

Tried paying attention to this in particular in the Holland - Argentina game. Two occasions stuck in my mind. One early in the second half where Messi was released, Vlaar had to turn and run whereas Messi was running straight ahead. The situation came to nothing (offside, or the ball was hit too hard), but Vlaar didn't look slow or immobile at all. He obviously wasn't as quick as Messi, but he wasn't left for dead either.

The second is obviously the tackle on Messi as Messi was looking to create space at the edge of the box. Doesn't show pace I suppose, but showed relatively quick feet to get down and make the tackle in a situation where most defenders are left behind.

Was mentioned in the football weekly podcast that Vlaar amongst others had been motivated by Robben and his dedication to improvement and in training. Could it be that some extra training in recent years has made Vlaar a bit more mobile than he was in Holland?

Ahhh yes my man Ron Vlaar. Gathering momentum since we first spoke about him

Ahhh yes my man Ron Vlaar. Gathering momentum since we first spoke about him

Yeah, would be a really astute signing I think.

Yes, perhaps there are "better" centre backs around. Perhaps Bruno Martins Indi is all around better and of course has more potential. But to use him as an example, how well do we think Bruno Martins Indi and Dawson/Kaboul/Vlad will work this season as a centre back partnership? For me at least I think Vlaar would work a lot better alongside any of those. Perhaps with a fit and motivated and still present Vertonghen alongside him Martins Indi would be the better option, but then we're more or less back to relying on one centre back to be available for us to have a good centre back partnership.

We already have a young(ish) centre back looking to improve in Vlad, if Kaboul regains fitness he's still "only" 28, Vertonghen has his best years ahead of him. What we need is experience and leadership next to those players, not another player that needs experience and leadership next to him to function.

Yeah, would be a really astute signing I think.

Yes, perhaps there are "better" centre backs around. Perhaps Bruno Martins Indi is all around better and of course has more potential. But to use him as an example, how well do we think Bruno Martins Indi and Dawson/Kaboul/Vlad will work this season as a centre back partnership? For me at least I think Vlaar would work a lot better alongside any of those. Perhaps with a fit and motivated and still present Vertonghen alongside him Martins Indi would be the better option, but then we're more or less back to relying on one centre back to be available for us to have a good centre back partnership.

We already have a young(ish) centre back looking to improve in Vlad, if Kaboul regains fitness he's still "only" 28, Vertonghen has his best years ahead of him. What we need is experience and leadership next to those players, not another player that needs experience and leadership next to him to function.

I like Vlar, had a great world cup, but was he in a three with Holland? This formation might just have played into his strengths but he might be exposed when in a pair. His Villa form hasn't overly impressed me.

Vlar pretty much had Messi in his back pocket in that semi final. I would not be against signing him as he has had a fantastic world cup.

I like Vlar, had a great world cup, but was he in a three with Holland? This formation might just have played into his strengths but he might be exposed when in a pair. His Villa form hasn't overly impressed me.

Looked the only competent defender in a rather hopeless looking Villa side at times and made the others around him look better.

If we want a PL proven centre back I can't think of many better.

He did play in a back 3 with Holland, but I don't think he gets particularly exposed in a back 4 either. Might be that I'm overrating him though.

Jamaal Lascelles?

I like that Poch used to be a Centrer Back. He should be able to make our collection a lot better. Does anyone have any videos of Poch playing?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/488835/Spurs-lead-Chelsea-and-Arsenal-in-battle-for-Everton-s-John-Stones

Would be a great move. I think we need to concentrate on youth, we can't compete with the top 5 just by signing established players as they're invariably buying better quality established players at the same time.

No chance of it happening, though. Everton aren't going to sell one of their jewels now. Especially not to their most direct Premier League rival.

Why would Stones make a sideways step? Anyway he seems happy at Everton and Martinez will be a good manager for him to work under

Stones would probably be crazy money too. Would love it but can't see it happening

Tottenham will staunchly resist any offers for defender Jan Vertonghen this summer, Sky Sports understands.

The 27-year-old centre-half has four years left on his current contract and Spurs have no intention of selling the Belgium international.

Vertonghen's future at White Hart Lane has been questioned following recent comments made by his agent, Mustapha Nakhli, in which he claimed a host of European clubs were interested in the player.

Nakhli also fuelled speculation by refusing to confirm or deny whether Barcelona, who are searching for a central defender following the retirement of Carles Puyol, are one of those interested clubs.

But Sky sources understand Spurs have not received any contact from the Catalan giants about Vertonghen, nor any other club for that matter, and are unconcerned by Nakhli's comments.

Vertonghen is believed to be a fundamental part of new head coach Mauricio Pochettino's plans for the forthcoming season and, as recently as May, the player insisted he would not be seeking a move away from the north London club this summer.

"I've got more years left at Tottenham and I'm happy,” he said following Tim Sherwood's sacking at the end of last season.

“I want to stay so it doesn't matter who the manager will be. The chairman will make a good decision."

The versatile defender, who signed on a six-year-deal from Ajax in 2012, will have been further encouraged by team-mate Hugo Lloris committing his long-term future to Tottenham, signing a new five-year-deal earlier this month.

Vertonghen, who has played 82 times for Spurs, is not expected to travel on the club's tour to the USA next week, however, and neither are any of Tottenham's representatives at the World Cup including Belgium team-mates Mousa Dembele and Nacer Chadli, Brazil's Paulinho and Nabil Bentaleb of Algeria.

Vertonghen impressed in Brazil as Belgium made the quarter-finals, where they were knocked out by Argentina, taking his caps for the country to 62.

Dortmund have now signed Matthias Ginter.

Was always an unlikely option for us anyway.

Back