• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

Vertoghen has been good when I've seen him for the most part. He did have a few brain farts but overall he exudes a calm and composed demeanour.

Kaboul, Dawson, Caulker, Vertoghen with King for one more season looks a good line up to me.

I believe so yes. Going forward first choice CB Kaboul and one other (maybe Vertoghen?), Daws and Caulker back up, and King around for a couple of years for added depth and experience.

Caulker and Vertogen for Gallas and Bassong. Hopefully King gets hiself fit enough for another season, if not then we should look for another experienced "Gallas" type signing. Maybe Carvalho or someone like that (just plucking a name out of the sky really).

Next season I would be happy with our CBs being:

New signing, Kaboul, Dawson, Caulker and King if he's able to still walk.

Folks, I think we need to starting internalising that The King is at the end. Consideration of our CB roster, I am pained to say, should not include him in the thinking.

Folks, I think we need to starting internalising that The King is at the end. Consideration of our CB roster, I am pained to say, should not include him in the thinking.

no reason that we can not have him in the squad as a 5th choice experienced head type figure with Caulker, Kaboul, Dawson + a new guy as our main 4

People say King distrupts our back line but you want to throw Caulker in for 10 games per season? Silly

King is still an exceptional player and we would be silly not to keep him next season, a couple bad games after a genuinely exceptional season and suddenly he's past it?

Its very tiresome how any time King has a bad game people come out of the woodwork saying its time he's moved on and he doesn't have it anymore

As 4th or 5th choice then am fine with him

As others have implied, if we have Kaboul, [top class new CB], Dawson, Caulker and King then that looks good for next season. King can then retire (or be retired/put down) the year after

JORDAN ARCHER (Bishop's Stortford) 03.03.2012 vs Droylsden (H) Conference North (Round 29)
Played the whole game as Droylsden were thrashed 5-0.

Then, late in the contest, Jordan Archer, who had had little to deal with, dealt with a short low cross from Dale Johnson by diverting it away with an outstretched leg.

Jordan only touched the ball or made any saves in the last 20 mins.

Not In Squad

MIRKO RANIERI (Esperia Viareggio) 04.03.2012 vs Pavia (H) Lega Pro Prima Divisione (Round 25)
Still 3rd choice keeper, with Giorgio Merlano on the bench, as Viareggio lost 3-1.

kHRkJ.jpg

90' Shot Off Target
90' Shot Blocked
35' Assist (Shot Off Target)

KYLE NAUGHTON (Norwich) 03.03.2012 vs Stoke City (A) Premier League (Round 27)
Played the whole game, in the left back position, as Norwich lost 1-0.

Walters made the game's first attempt on goal in the ninth minute, getting the better of Kyle Naughton.

Crouch tried to connect with an Etherington cross but was beaten to the ball by Naughton.

Why bring in Russell Martin (not having a go at all here)? For me, should have been Naughton at RB and Drury at LB.

Naughton: 7 bruises out of 10. Was, again, assured and nothing got passed him. Wish he wouldn't always shoot from range, though he obviously can.

Naughton - 5.5 - Defended fine I guess but some greedy shots towards the end.

If we can't sign Naughton I will be devastated! Excellent player but very pricey - we should push the boat out to get him.

Definitely need to either keep Naughton or get a decent RB in.

Naughton is not close to getting in because Walker and Richards are better than him atm. If there were a load of injuries, maybe.

Not In Squad

VEDRAN CORLUKA (Bayer Leverkusen) 03.03.2012 vs Bayern Munich (H) Bundesliga (Round 24)
Injured in the mid-week international friendly vs Sweden and is expected to be out for at least 2 weeks. Leverkusen finally beat Bayern after 14 Bundesliga attempts with a famous 2-0 victory in his absence.

According to Croatian press is suspected hamstring and 3-4 weeks off.

The Croatia international suffered a torn thigh muscle in the game against Sweden and will be out of action for at least two weeks.

Ironically, against Bayern. The only position we can not replace.

Corluka is not particularly fast, but he has a good positional play.

In the TV interview with Bayer04 Voeller it sounds to me like that as if it is in our hands if Corluka to stay here.

They had just been hoping that we have a real option to buy. Say, if we take the option to bid and no one else can. Seems probably not to be so.

Would be good if he stays, because then we would have resolved for years, our vulnerability to the position.

Fwx2i.jpg

2TV1d.jpg

STEVEN CAULKER (Swansea City) 03.03.2012 vs Wigan Athletic (A) Premier League (Round 27)
Played the whole game as Swansea recorded a good 2-0 win at Wigan. Got his first assist of the season for the first goal on the stroke of half time. Swans fans have realised they have no chance of signing him permanently and feel it will leave a hugh gap in the team for next season.

Steven Caulker rightly takes his place at the back in our Premier League Team of the Week (ESPNStar).

Steve Caulker played as big a part in this victory as anyone. It was his assist that provided the opening for Gylfi Sigurdsson's sensational opener. And it was the centre-back's resilience that kept the Latics at bay to provide his team's 10th clean sheet of the season. Did you know? Caulker has made the second most clearances (113) of any Swansea player this season, despite playing in just 16 games (Garth Crooks's team of the week).

The Northern Irish Swans chief admitted there is little chance of looking to make him a permanent addition to the Liberty ranks after suggesting Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has big plans for him at White Hart Lane.

Steven is going to be a top player. He is only 20 years of age but he's been a dominant player for us, brilliant all season. He's still got a lot to learn and improve on in his career but he is wonderful talent for his age and he has a great future ahead of him.

I've been out on loan and done my bread-and-butter work. Next season I will be looking to break into the Tottenham team. I'd love to play in the Champions League next year.

Caulker's ball to Siggy was pure class.

Caulker and Gylfi are going to leave two massive holes in the spine of our team in the summer.

Unused Sub

SEBASTIEN BASSONG (Wolves) 04.03.2012 vs Fulham (A) Premier League (Round 27)
Was an unused sub as Wolves were trounced 5-0. Wolves have now conceded 11 goals without Bassong in the team.

The line up today was influenced by injury and ill health though I was surprised not to see Bassong.

Bassong is potentially our best defender, he's a cut above anything we have at the club, if he's fit, play him, he's certainly letter than Berra or Stearman.

Team selection was shocking. Bassong on the bench? He must be wondering what he's got himself into.

How could be not select Bassong? Utter joke!

To not play a fit Bassong ahead of Stearman/Berra is a totally baffling decision.

Bassong has quality and needs to come in and then you either need to partner him with either Jody Craddock or Roger Johnson.

Bassong MUST be recalled.

Johnson and Bassong are our best centre halves. Not even open to debate.

Last edited:
The limited amount of times I've seen vertonghen, the moments that have stood out have all been when he's got forward which for a centre back is a bit alarming. If thats just due to how Ajax tell him to play fair enough, but would want to avoid a Luiz esque defender in this league

Caulker himself has said he is done with loans and is ready to play Champions League football with us.

Midfielders and Strikers tomorrow. Oscar Jansson plays tonight and there are Championship/League One games tomorrow night too.

Vertoghen has been good when I've seen him for the most part. He did have a few brain farts but overall he exudes a calm and composed demeanour.

Kaboul, Dawson, Caulker, Vertoghen with King for one more season looks a good line up to me.

Spot on for me

...with King put out to stud and Gallas off to Quatar-Payday... I reckon Next season will be his!

I've always thought that's a given by now considering Gallas is virtually finished with us

Gallas has a contract for another year and i do not think we can afford to get rid of him so likely is that king will be the one who will not get a new contract and gallas will be the injury prone one for next season, caulker will come in for bassong and we might if were lucky get one new centre back but probably have to make do with nelsen for another 12 months.

I've been impressed with Caulker every time I've seen him. Might as well let Gallas and Bassong go and get Caulker back. Our main problem is we are still not quite good enough defensively to challenge City and United for an entire season, not just half of it. We are capable of winning the odd game 1-0, but we can't do it week in week out like the top two teams can. As others have mentioned, Caulker currently plays for a team that play a similar style of football to us, he's more than held his own, we know he's a good footballer as well as a good defender. The thought of Kaboul and Dawson still makes me uneasy as both are prone to launching the ball forward far too often for my liking.

Don't know enough about Vertonghen to form an opinion.

Yep, would be very happy with that.....

Back