• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

From The Star.

Saturday’s game marked the end of Spurs’ keeper David Button’s second loan spell. The club were due to decide over the weekend whether to try and extend his loan or look at other options.

It was three and a half years ago that Adam Smith became an instant Tottenham superstar in the making!

His setting up Jamie O`Hara with a simple tap in following a 475 yard run that beat all 11 Borussia Dortmund players gave a 17 year old Adam Smith instant recognition and potential legendary status amongst Tottenham fans desperate to see a player emerge to greatness from the academy ranks. Now with a potential absence of Kyle Walker, Smith could finally get his chance to shine for Tottenham`s first team.

Since what to be fair was a very eye-catching run to set up a late goal in August 2008, it has been all about learning his trade, as opposed to being thrown in at the deep end by Spurs. Loans to Wycombe, Torquay, Bournemouth, MK Dons and very briefly Leeds, Utd have brought increasing praise, which has been coupled by England U-20 and 21 recognition, where in the last 12 months he has excelled for his country and shown increased maturity and improved decision making on top of an already impressive technical base.

Now, I`m not sure whether his return to White Hart Lane is due to a long term problem with Kyle Walker or a realisation that we lack genuine cover for the right back position, as I was told early last week that he looked likely to leave Leeds, perhaps for the same reasons we saw Andros Townsend leave Elland Road, but that is pure speculation on my part. But his return for whatever reason, could be a dream opportunity that could see him face Manchester United this weekend, in what could ultimately be a defining moment in his career to date.

It may well be asking too much to expect another brilliant run from his own 18 yard box to set up a late goal, but a good performance in a Spurs win could at last bring Smith instant adulation, three and a half years after the last time...

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7511467#ixzz1ngBz4dCV

I disagree.

Playing Adam Smith against Utd would be a massive gamble. King and Dawson in the middle. Kaboul on the right. We'll be fine with that.

Have you been watching Adam Smith play? I know i haven't...

If they do choose him to play against Man United i will simply assume that they have been watching him play and have deemed him ready to play in such an occasion.

His loan spells at league one Bournemouth and MK Dons were very successful however he had a torrid game against Coventry for Leeds so not quite at the Kyle levels. Shame we can't recall Naughton.

Will catch up with the weekend loanees tomorrow.

THOMAS CARROLL
28th May 1992 (19)

3NFRL.jpg

DERBY COUNTY
Championship

30th January 2012
to End of Season

77' Freekick Taken
65' Freekick Taken
61' Corner Taken
58' Corner Taken
47' Corner Taken
18' Corner Taken

vs Leicester City (H) Championship (Round 32) 23.02.2012
Played the whole game, starting in a right-sided midfield position, as Derby lost 1-0.

Tom Carroll was handed the role against Leicester. But the balance was not right.

Carroll's clever pass released Gareth Roberts in the area.

Green had his hands full but anyone who has ever played full-back will know how much you rely on help from your right-sided midfielder. Green was given little on the night.

Carroll is clearly more at home in central midfield and the youngster started to get on the ball and play some neat passes.

let's go & get koumas on loan & send carroll back & put bailey back in the team!!!

Carroll worse than what we have - need a ball winner.

Green is wasted at right back, would like him to play on the right like he did before Tom Carroll came in.

I wrote last week that I have nothing against Tom Carroll and he looks a top quality young player. However thereÔÇÖs no doubt that our team selection, performance and subsequently results have fell off the edge of a cliff since his arrival.

Again, thereÔÇÖs no question Hendrick and Carroll are good footballers but they are so easy to play against its not true and they donÔÇÖt offer the quick direct passing you get from Bails.

IÔÇÖve now see enough of Tom Carroll to know that he adds nothing to the team. Too young & too lightweight. We desperately need a midfield general and he certainly ainÔÇÖt that, so why is he keeping his place?

I like the look of Carroll but he's not what we need. At all.

Drop Carroll another Livermore/Bannan perhaps got him a year to soon, certainly not good enough or effective enough.

Send this Carroll back. He is waste of time.

Carroll looks a awesome prospect, wouldnt mind having him on loan all next season.

Carroll was atrocious and should have come off at half time.

Carroll 5 (mistake for the goal, too lightweight)

Carroll 5: the most interested in receiving the ball. Weak as a lamb. Not his game

Tom Carroll. I wish someone would explain to me why we're bringing a Tottenham player on when he's totally out of his depth at this level. First half I thought one of the ball boys had stayed on the pitch by mistake. What's that 10 year old kid doing running round on the pitch?

I wonder if Carroll is on some strange agreement that Livermore was on, that basically he should play every game.

Tom Carroll is useless, the team has been majorly disrupted since he joined.

I thought Carroll played better second half. He always wants the ball and was putting some good passed into the right areas. Not his fault players were not quick enough to get on the end of them.

I think Tom Carroll has potential - he can pick a pass but he's very lightweight for this division.

Tom Carroll brings very little to the team, we've disrupted the midfield in order to play him in every game, and guess what, we've got 1 point out of 15. We don't need someone who can drift in and out of the game playing the odd pretty pass, we need a player who can get hold of the game and make a contribution.

Was impressed with Carroll, as he looked to get on the ball and picked 3 or 4 very good passes, as well as a few poor ones.

This is why Carroll was Derby's best outlet last night as he seemed to know what he wanted to do before the ball came to him.

It's odd how they describe Carroll as another Livermore - Livermore on his present level is much too good for Derby.

I don't understand the comparison at all. They seem to me to be completely different player types. Other than both being on loan from us and seemingly not performing for them they don't really have much in common.

They aren't really comparing the two other than saying they came on-loan too young and not ready enough maybe.

i saw that game and he was very poor. he couldnt get in the game and struggled to keep up with play. nowhere near prem level yet.

Have you been watching Adam Smith play? I know i haven't...

If they do choose him to play against Man United i will simply assume that they have been watching him play and have deemed him ready to play in such an occasion.

Well, yes, of course......................if that happens, then we have to trust that Harry knows best.

But spurspinter was merely expressing a desire to see Adam Smith at right back rather than Kaboul - irrespective of what Harry's judgement might be on the matter. My disagreement with spurspinter's opinion was therefore also irrespective of what Harry's judgement might be on the matter!

I just happen to think that playing a rookie defender in a crucial Premier League game against one of the two best teams in the country is an unnecessary risk to take - especially since he is even a rookie at championship level (let alone Premier League) and even more especially since we have battle hardened, experienced and extremely competent alternatives.

Well, yes, of course......................if that happens, then we have to trust that Harry knows best.

But spurspinter was merely expressing a desire to see Adam Smith at right back rather than Kaboul - irrespective of what Harry's judgement might be on the matter. My disagreement with spurspinter's opinion was therefore also irrespective of what Harry's judgement might be on the matter!

I just happen to think that playing a rookie defender in a crucial Premier League game against one of the two best teams in the country is an unnecessary risk to take - especially since he is even a rookie at championship level (let alone Premier League) and even more especially since we have battle hardened, experienced and extremely competent alternatives.

you have to pick the best team available. Even at right back Kaboul will have to mark or track for Nani or Giggs, so if Lennon plays he will have a limited number of chances to get at Evra who hes bettered on many occasions. I seriously doubt playing Smith, as good as he may be, would do a better job than many alternatives simply because hes not played with Lennon on that side. Tactically wouldnt work, you dont want anyone in two minds in this match.

Goalkeepers

90' Save (Catch)
83' Save (Punch)
83' Save (Round Post)
79' Save (Catch)
66' Save (Tip Over)
62' Save (Catch)
59' Save (Catch)
59' Save (Parry)
33' Save (Parry)

DAVID BUTTON (Doncaster Rovers) vs Peterborough (H) Championship (Round 31) 25.02.2012
Played the whole game and had a busy second half as Doncaster conceded a late goal to draw 1-1. His loan spell has now come to an end and has returned to Spurs as Rovers have signed Wolves keeper Carl Ikeme back on loan and veteran keeper Neil Sullivan has returned to fitness.

Doncaster Rovers have signed goalkeeper Carl Ikeme for a second time from Wolverhampton Wanderers after David Button returned to Tottenham Hotspur after his loan spell ended.

Rovers were reluctant to offer Button an extension - because loan rules dictate that the Spurs stopper could only have stayed at Doncaster for another month.

The Spurs youngster has impressed Saunders - but Rovers’ boss rates Ikeme as the best goalkeeper currently available in the loan market.

Praise for Button aswell, he did well again and if we can get him in the summer it'd be a good move, but with Ikeme set to return it's harsh on Button, but equally Ikeme is the better of the two at this moment in time.

(Talking about MOTM) Today you could make a case for Button who blocked and stopped loads and (I think) even got a hand to the equaliser ...

What, the same Button who spilled and parried a few that he should have taken much more cleanly? I like Button but I think he looked more flappy than I have seen him in all his games.

I feel a lot more confident when someone goes through on goal with Button in goal. You only have to aim between Ikeme's legs and you've scored.

82' Subbed Off

JORDAN ARCHER (Bishop's Stortford) vs West Ham XI (H) Friendly (Mid-Season) 21.02.2012
Played 82 minutes as Stortford won 3-2 against a team mostly comprising of the Hammers’ Development squad.

Jordan Archer saved well from Elliot Lee in the 70th minute after a pass from Dom Vose had split the Blues' defence.

JORDAN ARCHER (Bishop's Stortford) vs Altrincham (H) Conference North (Round 27) 25.02.2012
Played the whole game and kept a clean sheet as Stortford won 1-0.

Jordan's distribution gets better every game.

Not In Squad

MIRKO RANIERI (Esperia Viareggio) vs Monza (A) Lega Pro Prima Divisione (Round 24) 25.02.2012
Viareggio changed their manager on 20 Feb 2012 however in his first game in charge Mirko was still out of the squad as they won 3-0. No mention of him on the forums which suggests the fans are happy to see him out of the team.

lWyM2.jpg

OSCAR JANSSON (Shamrock Rovers) vs Longford Town (H) Friendly (Pre-Season) 21.02.2012
Played the whole game and kept his second clean sheet in a row as Shamrock ran out comfortable 4-0 winners.

Jansson was well placed to save.

Forced Jansson into a decent save with a low shot.

Oscar showed good hands and feet.

Ci3KD.jpg

OSCAR JANSSON (Shamrock Rovers) vs Waterford United (H) Friendly (Pre-Season) 24.02.2012
Played the whole game and conceded his first goal in Shamrock colours as Waterford were thrashed 8-1 in the final pre-season friendly of the campaign. Next game is a league game away to Drogheda United on Friday 02 Mar 2012.

The on-loan 'keeper advanced quickly to spread himself and block the shot.

The final action of the game saw Jansson react quickly to deny Maguire in the dying minutes.

Last edited:
Looks like Corluka got injured playing for Croatia last night - leg injury. Thigh, sprain, muscle tear or even hamstring I've seen reported.

Looks like Corluka got injured playing for Croatia last night - leg injury. Thigh, sprain, muscle tear or even hamstring I've seen reported.

Does that mean he'll be returning to Spurs (i.e. loan cancelled)?

Full Backs

G4lpW.jpg

81' Foul Committed
29' Shot On Target
28' Assist (Shot On Target)

KYLE NAUGHTON (Norwich) vs Manchester United (H) Premier League (Round 26) 26.02.2012
Played the whole game, in his favoured right-back position, as Norwich lost 2-1 to a last minute goal.

Norwich finally created a meaningful chance on 28 minutes, Kyle Naughton chipped a throughball into the right side of the United penalty box.

I'd happily take ?ú4m for Russell Martin. But when you consider that it's rumoured Tottenham want ?ú4m for Kyle Naughton surely any club who had ?ú4m to spend on Martin would rather spend it on Naughton.

Naughton can't be a million miles behind Walker, Richards and Johnson can he?

If anyone has been outstanding at the back it has been Whitbread or Kyle Naughton.

This guy is an incredible player, who looks comfortable anywhere in back 4.

Naughton would be a steal at 3-4m he could play for England and for us for a decade. Serious talent.

?ú4m would be a good offer in my opinion, a fair offer. would we get him for that?

I can't see us getting a player of Naughtons quality for less than ?ú6m.

Well if Liverpool paid ?ú18m for Glen Johnson I can't see us getting him on the cheap, and I personally think Spurs would be mad to sell him.

He is absolutely brilliant, and signing him on a permanent deal has to be top priority for the summer.

Like the idea of buying Naughton.

I am just terrified that without Naughton our RB position will be our achilles heel.

Our best defender.

nXQzH.jpg

16' Assist (Goal)
16' Shot On Target

VEDRAN CORLUKA (Bayer Leverkusen) vs FC Cologne (A) Bundesliga (Round 23) 25.02.2012
Played the whole game, and provided an assist for the first goal, as Leverkusen won 2-0 against their local rivals. Leverkusen fans really hope the club sign him permanently.

Leverkusen took the lead after 16 minutes with Stefan Reinartz heading against the right post from three yards out and Vedran Corluka nodding the rebound towards the goal before Bender poked it home.

His calm serene way reminds me a bit of Sami.

Another good game from him, keep it up ...

Best performance. Buy.

Real good boy! Here is far too little appreciated! So far in every game and play consistently good performance even more with the front. Much has brought stability to our defense, keep it up!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Vedran Corluka - We never get enough of you, ahhhh!

Solid in defense good from the outside edges.

If Corluka has an average day, no player in the world is passing him!

5uvCc.jpg

29' Subbed Off

VEDRAN CORLUKA (Croatia) vs Sweden (H) International (Friendly) 29.02.2012
Played 29 minutes before being substituted off, due to a leg injury, as Croatia lost 3-1.

It is the thigh. Sprain or muscle tear ...

Not In Squad

ADAM SMITH (Leeds) vs Portsmouth (A) Championship (Round 33) 25.02.2012
Was not in the squad for Neil Warnock's first game in charge as Leeds drew 0-0. Was recalled from his loan 2 days later.

Tottenham defender Adam Smith has been recalled from his loan spell at Elland Road in order to provide cover at right-back for the Premier League side's first team.

Not a great loss.

Wouldn't mind Smith coming back on a permanent transfer at the end of the season though.

I just don't think Warnock thinks we need 'em. He will have his own people he wants to bring in.

I think this and the townsend loan spell he had here should teach us to NEVER get a loan player from spurs.

Smith was the pick of the spurs loanees. Livermore last season didn't do that well for us.

We got the spurs Kids because of a friendship between Glyn Snodin and Clive Allen.

Back