• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

All of this came out after he’d signed and failed to get up to speed. When he signed he was widely acclaimed. Funny how people rewrite history after the event.
Speak for yourself! :D

At the time of his arrival I recall reading an authoritative, in-depth article by someone who clearly knew him very well. The writer gave a potted biography of him from his early years noting that until arriving at Lyon the richly talented youngster had consistently struggled to show the requiiste application, much to the exasperation of every coach he'd played for previously.

Whilst acknowledging that Tanguy then transformed into a world-beater at Lyon he went on to express real fears that the French international's laid-back approach was hard-wired into his nature, therefore he might not be best suited to the harsh rigours of the PL.

Unfortunately I can no longer trace that particular article but this one, dated 3 July 2019, hints at similar concerns :

Tottenham’s Fans, How Well Do You Know Tanguy Ndombélé ?
BY GFLAMOU92 on 07/03/2019 • ( 0 )

Tottenham Hotspur’s new signing Tanguy Ndombélé from Olympique Lyonnais is already one of the club’s favorite for many faithful fans, but who is he, this twenty-two year old French footballer ?

Lots of youngsters are only starting their life at twenty-two but in football the players are already responsible adults. So who is this newcomer, the latest addition to the North London’s club ?

Tanguy Ndombélé Alvaro, is a French footballer(midfielder) born in France(Longjumeau, near Paris) 28 December 1996. His parents are of Congolese descent. He moved to Brittany whe he was just fourteen, in order to play for Guingamp but he wasn’t offered a professional contract at the end of his development . How come for a player of this calibre?

It’s true that in football things can change for better or worse very quickly; that’s why the destiny of this young unkown player changed in just four days and two Champions League games against Manchester United. Two games watched by France’s national team manager Didier Deschamps and these 180 minutes of grace, gave him a seat in the Ble

It should’t have been so…the player had no experience, played only one season for Lyon and had nothing of Karim Benzema’s or Kyllian Mbappé’s outstanding career starts.

The youngster kicked his first balls in his home nearby FC Epinay Athlético, scoring goals despite vomitting in his father’s car(fragile stomach, let’s hope that now he can travel without any problem).

The Guingamp experience, didn’t turn out well: “Tanguy was a nice kid, always having fun but studies weren’t his priority; he was kind, respectful but also lazy. He hated to wake up early and was eating too much, we had to be very severe with him” said Lionel Rouxel, his former school director(L’Equipe, 2017).

The time for a change had come and taking advantage of Amiens SC loss of professional status, the teenager joined the reserves(2014). It didn’t go well either; the club privileged the former professionals and Tanguy started to feel the injustice, for he was one of the best.

Nordine Baaroun his former teacher, tried to convince several clubs of the player’s worth( Caen, Auxerre,Angers) but the answer was always the same; “he’s good but he’s overweight, got to loose at least seven kilos, he’ll never make it”.

When Amiens knew about their teacher’s reprehensible activities, they immediately fired him, but this was what the teenager needed, more adversity…he lost several kilos, worked hard and showed how he can rebounce on the spot.

That’s why Christophe Pélissier first team manager decided to give him a chance to play in Ligue 2. A year later Amiens won a place in Ligue 1 and Lyon signed him as Corentin Tolisso’s successor.

Lyon weren’t the only ones to want him… Tottenham and Manchester United were on the player’s pursuit but Lyon didn’t want to hear anything about it. “His progression is astonishing” said Lyon’s manager Bruno Génésio, he works hard and eats healthy food.” His former L2 coach was baffled by the player’s intelligence:”he thrives in advercity, he said. The more the better, he likes challenges.”

After signing his first professional contract, Tanguy talked about his game qualities:” I think that I have good technical skills, percussion and I like the style box to box.”

Anyhow, here’s Didier Deschamps answer when the journalists asked about Ndombélé’s first call at the national team:” Tanguy Ndombélé? He’s with us because he can do everything. He’s strong, very technical and he s now more regular than before.”

Thats not the kind of playet mopo would want...right?
FWIW...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...le-jose-mourinho-problem-defensive-midfielder

Talk to anybody in France about Ndombele and one word recurs: nonchalance. It is not meant as a compliment and takes in the impression that he has not always been the most hard-working player. Perhaps it is because his talent is so big that everything comes easily to him.

'“He was nonchalant,” Sullivan Martinet, his youth team captain at Guingamp, told Ouest France. “He was so strong that we were expecting more from him, more consistency. He didn’t try maybe as much. He didn’t give the impression of always being 400%. With hindsight, what harmed him was his behaviour off the pitch. We were less talented but we wanted it more than him.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ele-complete-midfielder-focus-spurs-tottenham

Genesio would betray a similar frustration with Ndombele last season, when he wondered in public how he could be so good against Emirates Marketing Project in the Champions League but so disappointing in some lower-profile games. It is rare to hear Genesio putting such criticisms on the record and it created headlines.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I remember Arse ejits jealous thinking we'd signed the best player in the world. There were a lot of rave reviews, and in terms of raw talent he had something over Bruno Fernandes (seemed like a toss-up between the two at the time). Ndombele has something of Dembele, the ability to shimmy past people. That is quite rare.

I think the issue is, while that level of talent allowed him (and Aurier) to coast in France, in the better league he needs to back up that talent with awareness and graft. Things he's not really used to doing. Things he has to learn. And its hard to teach awareness, alertness, and focus on tracking runs etc. That is where Bruno Fernandes is better. An older more diligent rounded player who has the basics locked down. But by 27 Ndombele should be a star. It all depends on him.
Might be my mind playing tricks on me but if I think back to last summer and the reactions on this very forum to Ndombele, Lo Celso and Bruno Fernandes, it seemed to me that it was Bruno Fernandes who got the most scepticism in terms of whether or not he was really a good player.

All of this came out after he’d signed and failed to get up to speed. When he signed he was widely acclaimed. Funny how people rewrite history after the event.

It is still his first year in the UK. He needs to do the simple things well - pass well, track people, close down - then when things open let his natural talent shine.

I think the challenge is getting him to do those ‘simple’ things well.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
To be fair the Guardian article was July 19th 2019, so before the season started.

Might be my mind playing tricks on me but if I think back to last summer and the reactions on this very forum to Ndombele, Lo Celso and Bruno Fernandes, it seemed to me that it was Bruno Fernandes who got the most scepticism in terms of whether or not he was really a good player.
There were comments around his failure in Italy which was highlighted

Nordine Baaroun his former teacher, tried to convince several clubs of the player’s worth( Caen, Auxerre,Angers) but the answer was always the same; “he’s good but he’s overweight, got to loose at least seven kilos, he’ll never make it”.

When Amiens knew about their teacher’s reprehensible activities, they immediately fired him, but this was what the teenager needed, more adversity…he lost several kilos, worked hard and showed how he can rebounce on the spot.

That’s why Christophe Pélissier first team manager decided to give him a chance to play in Ligue 2. A year later Amiens won a place in Ligue 1 and Lyon signed him as Corentin Tolisso’s successor.

Lyon weren’t the only ones to want him… Tottenham and Manchester United were on the player’s pursuit but Lyon didn’t want to hear anything about it. “His progression is astonishing” said Lyon’s manager Bruno Génésio, he works hard and eats healthy food.” His former L2 coach was baffled by the player’s intelligence:”he thrives in advercity, he said. The more the better, he likes challenges.”

After signing his first professional contract, Tanguy talked about his game qualities:” I think that I have good technical skills, percussion and I like the style box to box.”

Anyhow, here’s Didier Deschamps answer when the journalists asked about Ndombélé’s first call at the national team:” Tanguy Ndombélé? He’s with us because he can do everything. He’s strong, very technical and he s now more regular than before.”

Looking at some of that it seems that Mourinho is treating him in a way that would appear to have gotten the best out of him in the past? Create adversity and let him rise to that challenge.

Looking at some of that it seems that Mourinho is treating him in a way that would appear to have gotten the best out of him in the past? Create adversity and let him rise to that challenge.
Let him rise, or let him fall.

As painful as seeing our record signing and tremendously talented player fail would be I'd rather see him fail quickly than watch him struggle and not live up to expectations over years.

Ruthless from Mourinho, the kind of ruthlessness Poch was rightly praised for, particularly early.

We've had our time of mercurial talents being allowed way too much leeway because of their obvious quality. So much of our recent success was down to the collective hard work of every player we had. Bigger names, bigger stars, than Ndombele. If he's not ready to fit into the category of great and hard working I'd rather we get rid.

Still very much hopeful that he will come good.

That’s their logic too
I'd take that all day (to re-invest). 3 reasons

1.If Jose doesn't like him, well thats that.

2.A whole season will have passed and we are waiting for Ndombele to step up,pull his head out of his arse. If that continues then its problematic to squad moral and then his value.

3. The kid has unquestionable talent, if he unleashes that and had a stellar season, i know what will be next. Old stepping stone Tottenham:rolleyes:

I'd take that all day (to re-invest). 3 reasons

1.If Jose doesn't like him, well thats that.

2.A whole season will have passed and we are waiting for Ndombele to step up,pull his head out of his arse. If that continues then its problematic to squad moral and then his value.

3. The kid has unquestionable talent, if he unleashes that and had a stellar season, i know what will be next. Old stepping stone Tottenham:rolleyes:
Well a rumour yesterday was we want milenko savic from lazio
We could akso buy Eze who I think could be brilliant

50-60 million from them and I think we'd take it - makes our money back, more or less. After that, it's up to him - he won't get a bigger club than PSG to prove himself at,, and his talent is still undoubted.
Psg would be perfect for him, they only have a handful of meaningful games each season.
However we should insist they take Aurier back as part of any deal!

Back