• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't like Redknapp and never did but isn't it time we started showing a little dignity and not having a dig at the guy at every opportunity.

How is what I said disrespectful?

He did give interviews through a window. And a manager who doesn't is a nice change.

Intial payment of around £6.5m?

He pays what he wants, he pays what he wants.....

I think for a player entering their last year of their contract that would be about right. Take RvP for example. Obviously you can milk City for all their worth but any "normal" club shouldn't pay more than £10m for him regardless of his talent levels.

@BelgoFoot: Dutch media NOS says Jan Vertonghen's move to #thfc has been agreed by all parties for 8 million euros! Remarkable deal for Spurs if true.

Not sure about this one. 8m Euros??? Really?

It'll only be a remarkable deal if he is any good, or we can sell him on at a profit if he turns out to be a complete dud!

Gotta agree with DHSF I'm not overly excited right now. Sigs looks like a great addition mind.

Yep. Think people are getting very excited but not much achieved yet

We've had plenty of summers before where we've been linked with top players but then ended up with a Rasiak come Sept 1st

Will reserve my excitement until we know what CFs have joined, whats happened to Modric & VdV and, if they've left, who their replacements are

Yep. Think people are getting very excited but not much achieved yet

We've had plenty of summers before where we've been linked with top players but then ended up with a Rasiak come Sept 1st

Will reserve my excitement until we know what CFs have joined, whats happened to Modric & VdV and, if they've left, who their replacements are

I agree. I think its what we have experienced in the past that makes me apprehensive. Also no one really knows which AVB will turn up - the one at Porto or the one at Chelscum. Im sure Chelscum fans and players were also excited from the outset too.

I certainly will not be excited just because a couple of players have signed and thats it. Rumours are rumours doesnt mean anything.

Fourth Official @FourthOfficial_

Jan Vertonghen transfer has finally been agreed, confirmation of Vertonghen and possibly Adebayor in the next 48 hours.

article by Duncan Castles, who seems very much up to date with whats happening at Spurs, and he says AVB wants Lewandowski from Dortmund. 23 years old, goalscorer, im sure Levy will go in hard to get him.

Andre Villas-Boas to fight Chelsea for Robert Lewandowski

Duncan Castles
Jul 7, 2012

Andre Villas-Boas is ready to go head-to-head with former employers Chelsea over the recruitment of the Bundesliga's leading marksman, Robert Lewandowski. Tottenham Hotspur's newly-appointed coach has recommended the 23-year-old Poland international to the club, who have made an initial approach for the versatile striker.

Chelsea, who fired Villas-Boas in March and continued paying the Portuguese's £2 million (Dh11,377m) net salary until his formal appointment at White Hart Lane last week, have a long-standing interest in Lewandowski. Villas-Boas, however, is moving quickly to implement a transfer strategy he has been working on since provisionally agreeing to succeed Harry Redknapp in mid-June

In collaboration with chairman Daniel Levy and technical co-ordinator Tim Sherwood, the new coach plans to reinforce Tottenham's squad in all areas. After the pre-arranged purchases of midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson from Hoffenheim and central defender Jan Vertonghen from Ajax, they are working with a transfer budget of £25m plus the income from sales

Villas-Boas has approved a decision to cash in on Luka Modric's desire to leave the club, preferably to Real Madrid. Tottenham are also prepared to sell Rafael van der Vaart to raise further funds. Though popular with supporters, the Holland international has struggled for fitness and tactical discipline throughout his two seasons in the Premier League.

As a replacement Villas-Boas has persuaded Tottenham to bid for Joao Moutinho, a key figure in the FC Porto team with which he won the Europa League, Portuguese League and Portuguese Cup in 2011. The Portugal midfielder is also pushing for the move, meeting Porto president Nuno Pinto da Costa on Wednesday to request a transfer.

Though Moutinho's buyout clause is €40m (Dh180,515m), Tottenham believe they may be able to secure the player for as little as €22m. The deal, however, is likely to be complicated by third-party ownership and sell-on values.

Moutinho forced a €10m transfer from Sporting in the summer of 2010 and the Lisbon club are due 25 per cent of the profit on the player's next move. Porto also sold, and then bought back, proportions of Moutinho's economic rights to a Belgian company. Currently, 15 per cent of those rights are owned by Football Invest Fund.

Moutinho is represented by Pini Zahavi and his nephew Nir, and there is scepticism about reports that Manchester United have made an offer for the midfielder. Tottenham believe they do not face competition from Sir Alex Ferguson for the player's signature.

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/andre-villas-boas-to-fight-chelsea-for-robert-lewandowski

If Lewandowski , Jan , Ade , Moutinho and a keeper all were all secured , we would win atleast both cups and have a great run in the europa league.

Adebayor
Lewandowski
Moutinho
Sigurdsson
Vertonghen
plus Youth signings of Fryers,Lascalles and Butland

That would be some transfer window

Personally I like what I have seen and heard about him. And of course his impressive goal record of 69 goals in 114 matches for his club also helps. Ade is a good player but he seem to miss too many chances. Personally I do not think that both players are mutually exclusive

Fair point on the 'mutually exclusive' Naija...agreed there. WOuld rather the Pole to be fair though (plus Ade)...

Also further to the above, didn't Ade retire from international football? Those apps above for RvP and Rooney don't take into further games they played internationally. And as Ade retired from international football he would have got a nice rest then too.

Not that it really matters. In terms of physical fitness footballers should be able to cope with 2 games a week, 40 weeks a year without fatigue. It's only 180 minutes (and not all of it's high intensity). Even their training sessions aren't that long compared to other athletes and you can just have lower intensity training sessions (or even days off from training) to help them recover.

What does effect most players, is that most of them are carrying an injury during the season. That's why players sometimes struggle to recover between matches. You have a groin strain, and the couple of days after a match will be sore. You then go into another match, you aren't going to have full flexibility etc. It's nothing to do with tiredness or being worn out.

Mate,

I love your work, and enjoy a good debate with you as I respect your counter-opnions, but on the above, you are so far off base it's bewildering. The training comment is the one bit I would agree with. And it is one of the major reasons we kept dropping off the last two seasons. Our training was not good enough in areas of fitness or set-pieces. This is not even up for debate really, the proof was there for all to see.

When you carry, say, a hamstring strain, the appropriate thing to do is give it the extra week's rest and ROTATE. Ade never had that luxury unless he was about to tear the thing (and he was gambling prior)...sorry mate, he needed a little more rest ESPECIALLY given the nature of his game and what he was being asked to do...

That's possibly more accurate. Although it would have been an injury that wouldn't have stopped him playing (clearly, because he did play!). To be honest, the same thing happed to Ade at Arsenal. I would suggest the real reason is far more simple. Ade's form drops when the days get colder.

Oh come on! Are you serious? You're suggesting that because the temperature drops he literally 'freezes up'? You're joking, please...

Transfer ITK @ITK_TRANSFER
Stephen Pienaar is having a medical at Everton tonight

Benoit Assou-Ekotto ‏@AssouEkotto
Last 24h of holliday -( holliday is never enought long -(((((((((((((( NO LOL

Raymond Verheijen ‏@raymondverheije
At Yerevan airport on my way to the UK for tomorrow's meeting with PL club to discuss position as their new Director of Performance.

Could be nothing, but anyway:

Raymond Verheijen (born 23 November 1971) is a Dutch professional football coach who currently is the assistant manager to the Armenian national side.

Verheijen has been a member of the coaching staff of the national teams of the Netherlands, Russia and South Korea, attending three World Cups and three European Championships. He has also worked with a number of European club sides, including Barcelona of Spain, Zenit Saint Petersburg of Russia, and English teams Chelsea F.C and Emirates Marketing Project. He has also been a personal fitness coach to Craig Bellamy.

In 1998, Verheijen published his Complete Handbook of Conditioning for Soccer.

Primarily a fitness coach, Verheijen has publicly criticised the training methods of a number of English teams, such as London-based clubs Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, as well as former club Emirates Marketing Project. Earlier in his career, Verheijen publicly criticised the coaching methods of Dutch team Feyenoord, but returned there to advise on pre-season build up in July 2011.

Verheijen was appointed to the position of Assistant Manager to the Welsh national side in February 2011. (...) Verheijen's contract was due to expire at the end of 2011, but he remained in the position until February 2012, when he resigned.

Back