• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So why buy Sig. I keep on using this argument when we are talking about 'lack of funds' as Sig was a player we didnt really need. I would rather have brought Ade for 5m and given him the other 3m to shut him the fudge up and sign up

Levy bought Gylfi

he had a meeting with Levy before he met AVB

straight from the horses mouth

Ahhh, best part of three weeks away hiking and kayaking through the forests and granite highlands of the Canadian Shield. Returning 15 pounds lighter - from the waistline, not the wallet - sufficiently tanned and shaggy haired to be mistaken for Chingachgook. Can't say I yearned for the internet one second I was away.

And what have I missed? The Lab Rat Games and sweet FA with Spurs. And the expected exodus from Ex-mirates Stadium. In other words, nowt. Fair deal.

Theres plenty of great players who have been immense in some games but for some reason may not have picked up trophies or received the necessary credit. I'm talking about players like Riquelme who is one of my fav players over the last decade. Absolute belter of a player, dominated midfields. I remember King could get nowhere near him in the intl friendly but seemed to fade away and never really did it yet clearly had the talent. Maybe the inconsistency is what stopped him becoming a great player but in my mind he was already a great player. I dont think its coincidence that when he got subbed in the world cup Germany equalised and then took control of midfield and knocked them out.

that would be riquelme that dominated midfields, built around around him because of his many deficiencies actually, in spain.....argentina....in CL.....was nominated for world player of the year......and performed well for his country who were one of the best nations in the world playing on a big stage.

nah am pretty sure he had many occasions to show how good he was and he did , which is why he was acknowledged as a great player

you know marketing, TV and advertising also has alot to do with who is recognised as great too. it weird i know but i believe thats how it is..exposure in these big contests add to it.

riquelme IMO was a great talent with lots of flaws and lots of potential who definately shone in periods for different teams playing particular systems. yes he was a great player but under the right settings...which is why the jury is out on him and his career

IMO

This may have been posted but I've been listening back to Joe Jordan on BBC 5 live. Basically Verts was already a player they wanted but Sigurdsson was not on the radar. According to Jordan, Harry wanted a player who could make the difference, hence he was interested in Tevez in the January. Interesting listening to Jordan on events leading to the termination of their contracts.

this cant be right. how old is tevez?

Think we were an attractive proposition for AVB. Some decent players with enough years left in them: Kaboul, Walker, Sandro, Bale, Lennon, VdV, Caulker, Assou Ekotto...add in a few solid veterans like Parker, Friedel and Gallas...plus Vertonghan and SIgurdsson on their way (assuming AVB had a say in them) and that the core of a very good side for a few years to come. THrow in the Modric money to re-invest and I think we were about as good an option as AVB could have had

A point well made (and Nayim in an earlier post).

I still hold out that Levy was offering something more for a new manager, something he has done in the past. We'll see very soon, but you could well be right that the prospects were good enough to make it a good job for AVB.

Thats why all these ITK rumours are annoying, they appeal to what I want rather than the rational side.

Aquayid

Love love the way that you give people news/bits/snippets for them to take it as they will. We all know Ade was at training this morning,

His papers registered this morning with FA and PL, even a fudging couple of photos taken.. And no announcement, now don't get me wrong .

But I'm not the board, I'm not Daniel Levy and I don't run the OS. So no Need for the abuse

I'd go as far as 15-16 - still very young with massive potential. Fantastic player, imv

Agree he has massive potential and something has to give at United considering the options they now have up front. I taken it as given (rightly/wrongly) that we will get Ade but do you think the front line options we would have if we did get someone like Hernandez (obvs we are very much in hypotheticla mode here) would satisfy AVB's style of play?

So why buy Sig. I keep on using this argument when we are talking about 'lack of funds' as Sig was a player we didnt really need. I would rather have brought Ade for 5m and given him the other 3m to shut him the fudge up and sign up

Young, talented and lots of potential. Reasonably priced with sell on value.

Agree he has massive potential and something has to give at United considering the options they now have up front. I taken it as given (rightly/wrongly) that we will get Ade but do you think the front line options we would have if we did get someone like Hernandez (obvs we are very much in hypotheticla mode here) would satisfy AVB's style of play?

I had this very same discussion with another poster last week, mate

In short - yes, we can use a quality player of his ilk, imv - Falcao who was immense in AVB's Porto was a similar player in some aspects - possibly an amelgemation of Ade/Hernandez in a 50-50 ratio. Hernandez is the better finiesher, imv and uses/runs the 18-yard box better. Although Ade is a more potent focal point, arguably stronger and can take on players, etc.

Options, mate - I think we should be versatile as opposed to having only one 'type' of striker and becoming extremely predictable to our opponents.

In short - yes, we can use a quality player of his ilk, imv - Falcao who was immense in AVB's Porto was a similar player in some aspects - possibly an amelgemation of Ade/Hernandez in a 50-50 ratio. Hernandez is the better finiesher, imv and uses/runs the 18-yard box better. Although Ade is a more potent focal point, arguably stronger and can take on players, etc.

Options, mate - I think we should be versatile as opposed to having only one 'type' of striker and becoming extremely predictable to our opponents.

I agree we need the options available and that a player of Hernandez's quality that we should embrace if he was/became available. His movement is particularly impressive. I do think though if we got someone like Hernandez in it might have further implications for Defoe's future?

But apparently Hernandez was not on the bench tonight because of the CB situation, but RVP, Berbatov are with Wellbeck and Rooney starting. Although younger he may be in a similar situation to Defoe in that he needs to be playing, and with that frontline his options seem increasingly limited.

The crux of your argument last week was that we should go for him no matter what if he is available because we simply couldnt not go for him. That he was worth accommodating under any circumstance if getting him was possible.

My response to that was that while he *could* work in our team he isnt the ideal sort we need and isnt of sufficient quality to say "to hell with our plans" in order to accommodate him.

Aquayid

Love love the way that you give people news/bits/snippets for them to take it as they will. We all know Ade was at training this morning,

His papers registered this morning with FA and PL, even a fudging couple of photos taken.. And no announcement, now don't get me wrong .

But I'm not the board, I'm not Daniel Levy and I don't run the OS. So no Need for the abuse

Not heard this from anywhere else today. Has anybody else tweeted/reported/confirmed it?

Ultimately it is AVB to decide on what he thinks will work best. As long as Levy backs in him that then that is fine by me. But at present there is very little clarity so inevitably we are going to discuss options and possibilities.

He isn't ideal for your 'percieved optimum' formation that AVB will presumable try and implement.

As I already explained above - a player of his quality would imrpove our front line to a considerable level and most importantly - would give us options upfront in turn making us less tactically predictable and even more improtantly - less reliable on one particular player

Back