• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can one of you kindly tell me why it seems any significant transfer dealings this window "appear" to depend on the Modric deal being finalised?

Does it mean with out that deal there is very little money in the kitty for transfers?
If so what would have happened if Modric was happy to stay this summer, where would we get our transfer budget from?

This is what I was getting at yesterday. I dont think we have a 'kitty' as such. We obviously have the £5m for Adebayor but I'm worried thats it.
If Modric stays we of course wont need the dosh for a replacement, but if we need any for a RWF or young GK, I would say that would have to be acquired from selling the deadwood...starting with Bassong tomorrow?

Adebayor isn't just £5 million to City, it's also something similar to the player and extortionate wages and possibly some bonuses. RVP gets a £10 million loyalty bonus from United spread out over his contract in addition to wages.

Personally I believe there has to be money in addition to the Modric money. Surely AVB would not have accepted such limited resources?

All this is in your opinion of course african? Surely a player is only as great as the team he plays in?
For me Ledley was once a great player, he had it all but sadly would never reach "your" definition of great because of where he played and got injured in his prime.
It's all subjective and the last time I looked posters on here were free to give their opinion.

well actually yeah its kind of my opinion but i get this particular definition from the way sporting governing bodies operate and the way competition is in general in anything. you cant be great if you havent competed at the highest or higher level and shown yourself to be great

this is why the world class tag is a problem , gets thrown around too easy ...in truth very few are world class. the great players dont accidentally not showcase their talents on the biggest stage. there is a reason for it. like you said..king was at one point the best CB on Earth bar none, yet people dont appreciate him as great outside of tottenham and some people that could be bothered to notice good football in england. why? cause he didnt get a chance to show what he can do on the higher level. therefore king cannot be called bonafide great

can you name one great player that hasnt dominated on a biggest of stages? very hard to i reckon.

i'm not sure why people arent allowed to give their opinion. they are....i just dont agree that jovetic should be called a great player. am i not allowed to say this? or did i put my point forward in a rude way? in the latter i apologise but i dont see what is wrong with the former? if you get my drift

and how far do you take it? what if i say kaboul and VDv are overrated for the team needs in AVBs formation? i take it no one is allowed to challenge me on that

I cant believe AVB wouldve agreed to be our manager knowing he has 13p to spend unless we sold one of our top players, it just doesnt sit right

I cant believe AVB wouldve agreed to be our manager knowing he has 13p to spend unless we sold one of our top players, it just doesnt sit right

I agree, but maybe he overstimated/underestimated (however you want to read it) Levy. If we had no money to spend why begin such a risky project with such a risky manager? Makes no sense. Maybe we have slipped even further behind in the transfer market than we realise, despite Levy's assurances that we would continue to invest in the 1st team despite the major infrastructure projects (I recognise the point about wages etc but it is the same for others so I am talking in relative terms).

well actually yeah its kind of my opinion but i get this particular definition from the way sporting governing bodies operate and the way competition is in general in anything. you cant be great if you havent competed at the highest or higher level and shown yourself to be great

this is why the world class tag is a problem , gets thrown around too easy ...in truth very few are world class. the great players dont accidentally not showcase their talents on the biggest stage. there is a reason for it. like you said..king was at one point the best CB on Earth bar none, yet people dont appreciate him as great outside of tottenham and some people that could be bothered to notice good football in england. why? cause he didnt get a chance to show what he can do on the higher level. therefore king cannot be called bonafide great

can you name one great player that hasnt dominated on a biggest of stages? very hard to i reckon.

i'm not sure why people arent allowed to give their opinion. they are....i just dont agree that jovetic should be called a great player. am i not allowed to say this? or did i put my point forward in a rude way? in the latter i apologise but i dont see what is wrong with the former? if you get my drift

and how far do you take it? what if i say kaboul and VDv are overrated for the team needs in AVBs formation? i take it no one is allowed to challenge me on that

Theres plenty of great players who have been immense in some games but for some reason may not have picked up trophies or received the necessary credit. I'm talking about players like Riquelme who is one of my fav players over the last decade. Absolute belter of a player, dominated midfields. I remember King could get nowhere near him in the intl friendly but seemed to fade away and never really did it yet clearly had the talent. Maybe the inconsistency is what stopped him becoming a great player but in my mind he was already a great player. I dont think its coincidence that when he got subbed in the world cup Germany equalised and then took control of midfield and knocked them out.

I have a sneeky feeling that Chelsea will offer 35m+ on deadline day, more than RM and Levy will tell Modric to take it or rot in the reserves

This may have been posted but I've been listening back to Joe Jordan on BBC 5 live. Basically Verts was already a player they wanted but Sigurdsson was not on the radar. According to Jordan, Harry wanted a player who could make the difference, hence he was interested in Tevez in the January. Interesting listening to Jordan on events leading to the termination of their contracts.

Maybe he didn't have a choice, unless he wanted to go into managing a less reputable side. He has a lot of people to prove wrong, although I agree that having some funds would make that task easier.

Depends

He was offered the chance to get back into management at the fourth best team in the best league in the world (tm)

He was given promise of being able to see out his project

He was offered a world class facility to operate in

He was probably promised the Modric money (up to £40m) to re invest

Not a bad deal IMHO, particularly for a manager so tarnished in his last role

Can one of you kindly tell me why it seems any significant transfer dealings this window "appear" to depend on the Modric deal being finalised?

Does it mean with out that deal there is very little money in the kitty for transfers?
If so what would have happened if Modric was happy to stay this summer, where would we get our transfer budget from?

Yes, as I've said a gazillion times on here - we're building a stadium and a new training ground. They arent cheap

And you also answered your question in your last line - what we spend will be dictated by whether Modric goes. If we sell him for £35m or so then we'll be after very different players than if he stays

Say Levy went out tomorrow and blew £25m on a creative CM only for Real to decide the next day that they didnt want him - what the hell would be do then?

Think we were an attractive proposition for AVB. Some decent players with enough years left in them: Kaboul, Walker, Sandro, Bale, Lennon, VdV, Caulker, Assou Ekotto...add in a few solid veterans like Parker, Friedel and Gallas...plus Vertonghan and SIgurdsson on their way (assuming AVB had a say in them) and that the core of a very good side for a few years to come. THrow in the Modric money to re-invest and I think we were about as good an option as AVB could have had

Yes, as I've said a gazillion times on here - we're building a stadium and a new training ground. They arent cheap

And you also answered your question in your last line - what we spend will be dictated by whether Modric goes. If we sell him for £35m or so then we'll be after very different players than if he stays

Say Levy went out tomorrow and blew £25m on a creative CM only for Real to decide the next day that they didnt want him - what the hell would be do then?

So why buy Sig. I keep on using this argument when we are talking about 'lack of funds' as Sig was a player we didnt really need. I would rather have brought Ade for 5m and given him the other 3m to shut him the fudge up and sign up

Back