• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

Been a consistent performer all season and Mourinho clearly loves him. Many fans don't have a fudgein' clue, let's be honest.
Some of the abuse of other fans I’ve seen on social media is quite scary
To think how angry and aggressive some people are to people they haven’t met is odd
With players I guess they why used to it to a point but it’s never acceptable

Some of the abuse of other fans I’ve seen on social media is quite scary
To think how angry and aggressive some people are to people they haven’t met is odd
With players I guess they why used to it to a point but it’s never acceptable

It absolutely isn't. I think a lot of people, me included, sort of say "well they should shrug it off because everyone knows the people who post this brick must be idiots".

It's easy to say that. When you see some of the vile, personal abuse that celebrities get, it obviously takes a toll. To have people posting nasty comments digging you out in the vilest way possible on something you're probably already insecure about has to have an effect. Thing is, all those clams, and if they are our fans they are still clams, abusing Bergwijn haven't achieved a fraction of what he has and never will. Sad, pathetic tossers.

I scrolled through some of the comments to that tweet, and apparently there were people sending him death threats last night? That's just totally unacceptable behaviour and it really shouldn't be possible to make those sort of comments under some kind of shroud of anonymity. I can totally understand people being angry or annoyed or frustrated or disappointed or any number of emotions at the chances he missed. I definitely might have sworn and shouted something not very complimentary at the tv last night as I suspect many of us did, but it would never in a million years occur to me to insult him directly through his social media, never mind threaten him with death.
There's a line that shouldn't be crossed and even though you know it's probably just trolls and idiots, it must be just a little bit scary to be on the receiving end of pure vitriol.

Eh. I remember someone semi-famous (basketballer, I think?) once did a study of the folks who sent him threats of violence on Twitter. IIRC, some were doctors. Some were nurses. Some were soldiers. Certainly, from a social perspective, many were accomplished and provided as much societal value as a sportsman - maybe more so.

Yes, there are your typical jobless yobbos in among them, but it's more that a cross-section of society sees absolutely nothing wrong with calling for someone to be physically harmed because of a bad public performance, while being oblivious to the fact that, were it done to them, it would utterly ruin their lives.

Much harder to fix. I think for now, it's just a Faustian bargain that sportspeople have to accept - there is a section of oblivious people on the internet who will absolutely detest you after a bad game and call for harm to be done to you...and will adore you after a good one. And this will apply whether you're at PSV, Spurs or the NY Knicks.

Last edited:
As for Bergwijn, he had a rough game yesterday, no two ways about it. But he isn't helped by the system he's in - being the pressing forward who runs around defending all the time while Sonny and Kane steal the headlines naturally means your numbers are going to be fairly atrocious, which Bergwijn's are.

@DubaiSpur I don't like your tone or your soft stance on this abhorrent behaviour. It's views like yours that allow brick like this to happen with greater regularity. Do better.

Unfortunayely he resorted to type today. Hugely disappointing.
He had a very good game! He just missed two chances, that weren't easy. Allison was very close to the one that hit the post, and probably would have saved it had it been heading inside the post.
The next paragraph is not directed at you @Pirate55, but is just a general comment on the lack of respect, judgement and common sense that is pouring out in social media.

We do have some absolutely awful "fans"!
He actually had to close his social media accounts because of all the abuse hurled at him!
Despicable!

People really need to have a look at themselves.
It's unacceptable under any circumstances.
But if you look at it in the isolation of the game, SB did his job really well all game and was very close to scoring. It's not easy to beat one of the best 1:1 keepers in the world ya know.
Kane missed a far easier chance.

People really need to have a look at themselves.

@DubaiSpur I don't like your tone or your soft stance on this abhorrent behaviour. It's views like yours that allow brick like this to happen with greater regularity. Do better.

I don't like your tone either, but not because you're angry - I understand you're angry. I just think it's a bit pointless to shout about it on GG and act like it changes anything. It doesn't, it just makes you feel better.

To actually change this, you need to do more than write off everyone doing this as yobbos - you need to think about how to effectively change human behaviour when afforded a mask of anonymity. Education does it in the long run. If you have a quicker solution, ring the government and tell them about it, because folks have thought about this since the Internet came online and the only solution seems to be to make it less anonymous - which hasn't worked, because fools on Twitter are decidedly not anonymous and still send death threats on the regular.

I thought he was OK. The problem is that it seems his primary role is to defend and that isn’t freeing him up much to attack.
Who is that a problem for?

A problem for Bergwijn who gets undue criticism because his role is different to the role some fans expect him to play?

A problem for Mourinho? Doesn't seem like it as he's kept starting and playing him in these games?

A problem for us as a team?
As for Bergwijn, he had a rough game yesterday, no two ways about it. But he isn't helped by the system he's in - being the pressing forward who runs around defending all the time while Sonny and Kane steal the headlines naturally means your numbers are going to be fairly atrocious, which Bergwijn's are.
A rough game as in it was a very challenging game for him and he dealt well with that? In that case I agree.

A rough game as in a poor game, I don't agree at all.

Take one of those chances and it would have been an excellent performance. These are the margins.

Who is that a problem for?

A problem for Bergwijn who gets undue criticism because his role is different to the role I think that I am a better football fan than the rest of you expect him to play?

A problem for Mourinho? Doesn't seem like it as he's kept starting and playing him in these games?

A problem for us as a team? A rough game as in it was a very challenging game for him and he dealt well with that? In that case I agree.

A rough game as in a poor game, I don't agree at all.

Take one of those chances and it would have been an excellent performance. These are the margins.
A problem for the average football fan who typically has little actual understanding of football, doesn’t see lots of exciting attacking moments from Bergwijn and thus considers him to have had a poor game.

Reactions: DTA
Back