• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

I don't like your tone either, but not because you're angry - I understand you're angry. I just think it's a bit pointless to shout about it on GG and act like it changes anything. It doesn't, it just makes you feel better.

To actually change this, you need to do more than write off everyone doing this as yobbos - you need to think about how to effectively change human behaviour when afforded a mask of anonymity. Education does it in the long run. If you have a quicker solution, ring the government and tell them about it, because folks have thought about this since the Internet came online and the only solution seems to be to make it less anonymous - which hasn't worked, because fools on Twitter are decidedly not anonymous and still send death threats on the regular.

Brilliant post. I posted that video of Obama calling out people who always try to be politically woke. As you said, just calling people out all time isn’t activism. I’ve been critical of Bergwijn’s offensive player this season but I absolutely condemn the abuse he’s received. No one deserves that and I don’t think anyone on here would disagree with that sentiment. We have to be able to criticise bad ideas or footballers when they have a bad game but there are of course ways of doing it. I think the people that abuse famous people online have nothing else in their lives except football so they just lash out.

I don't understand how threatening your players on social media or in person helps. Stupidity.
It’s small man syndrome. Angry online people trying to vent like dingdongheads
The scariest thing is a lot of them are kids making their first push into the big band world by abusing people that they think they idolise

Eh. I remember someone semi-famous (basketballer, I think?) once did a study of the folks who sent him threats of violence on Twitter. IIRC, some were doctors. Some were nurses. Some were soldiers. Certainly, from a social perspective, many were accomplished and provided as much societal value as a sportsman - maybe more so.

Yes, there are your typical jobless yobbos in among them, but it's more that a cross-section of society sees absolutely nothing wrong with calling for someone to be physically harmed because of a bad public performance, while being oblivious to the fact that, were it done to them, it would utterly ruin their lives.

Much harder to fix. I think for now, it's just a Faustian bargain that sportspeople have to accept - there is a section of oblivious people on the internet who will absolutely detest you after a bad game and call for harm to be done to you...and will adore you after a good one. And this will apply whether you're at PSV, Spurs or the NY Knicks.

Completely agree with this. Modern life is weird. The Internet is weird. Celebrity is weird. Sign up to be a professional footballer and you're accepting the weirdness of it all.

I don't like your tone either, but not because you're angry - I understand you're angry. I just think it's a bit pointless to shout about it on GG and act like it changes anything. It doesn't, it just makes you feel better.

To actually change this, you need to do more than write off everyone doing this as yobbos - you need to think about how to effectively change human behaviour when afforded a mask of anonymity. Education does it in the long run. If you have a quicker solution, ring the government and tell them about it, because folks have thought about this since the Internet came online and the only solution seems to be to make it less anonymous - which hasn't worked, because fools on Twitter are decidedly not anonymous and still send death threats on the regular.

There are some smarter options than deanonymising - or, at least, it's smarter for regulators to separate the anonymity issue from the harmful-but-not-illegal aspects of internet culture. Tweaks to platforms can have quite large behavioural consequences: Twitter is considering a "sorry" button, among other techniques for de-escalation. Automated parsing of content and intent means that platforms can add friction to anger-posting, without going as far as take-down.

Maybe one for another thread but what is the fundamental reason the social media platforms afford anonymity to its users? Is it supply an ease of access to gather more users than would bother to register formally or is it because the behaviours associated with no accountability are seen as a positive thing for the content that is posted / viewed.

I know private browsing was created solely to allow husbands to buy their wife a Christmas present without them being able to see their search history it on a shared pc ;)

I know it’s not the answer and abhor the disgusting comments and threats made and maybe it’s a generational thing, but I do struggle to understand why people from all walks of life would want to invite compete strangers to comment on anything they post or do publically other than the opportunity to monetise it.
I see people wishing their wives and kids happy birthday online and I just wonder why they don’t just say it to their face.
I’m sure I saw David Haye offered a grand for the address of a troll once and then posted a pic of the street, the guy then brick himself and posted all sorts of apologies - maybe there is a market for troll hunters to try and make these utter clams accountable for their actions?

Got bored of social media years ago, it does barely any good and allows constant misuse to abuse people whilst hiding behind a phone. And please don’t tell me it’s great because you can access and communicate things so much quicker, we were doing fine just before in accessing everything and I think we could all survive without seeing pictures of what people you loosely call friends were eating or drinking last night. I’ve no doubt the world would be a (slightly) better place without Twitter, Insta etc....

Got bored of social media years ago, it does barely any good and allows constant misuse to abuse people whilst hiding behind a phone. And please don’t tell me it’s great because you can access and communicate things so much quicker, we were doing fine just before in accessing everything and I think we could all survive without seeing pictures of what people you loosely call friends were eating or drinking last night. I’ve no doubt the world would be a (slightly) better place without Twitter, Insta etc....
Your not the harr1984 who posts on the daily mail comments are you?

Instagram is ok, not everyone’s cup of tea I get it.

Twitter is like a motorway full of people with road rage.

YouTube is just a cesspool of bigoted comments even when someone posts something completely innocuous, some clam will reply with something racist, sexist etc.

Social media does have some uses. Various campaigns and charities have used the platforms well and it does raise awareness for such causes. On the whole I do agree it has a LOT to answer for. Twitter especially.

Your not the harr1984 who posts on the daily mail comments are you?
Yes! I consider that my guilty pleasure lowering myself to the ten year olds who seem to comment on there:D Wouldn’t consider commenting on specific articles as true social media though although I guess it is to an extent....

The winner.

Instagram is ok, not everyone’s cup of tea I get it.

Twitter is like a motorway full of people with road rage.

YouTube is just a cesspool of bigoted comments even when someone posts something completely innocuous, some clam will reply with something racist, sexist etc.

Social media does have some uses. Various campaigns and charities have used the platforms well and it does raise awareness for such causes. On the whole I do agree it has a LOT to answer for. Twitter especially.
Yeah I get that it has some value like you’ve mentioned, but for me that doesn’t compensate for the platform it gives the likes of terrorists and the worldwide cases of bullying and abuse through these platforms that lead to suicide etc It’s just made us even lazier in seeking information, most of it not even important - just things we look at because it’s there at the click of a button when in reality we were doing just fine without it....

Back