• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

Got bored of social media years ago, it does barely any good and allows constant misuse to abuse people whilst hiding behind a phone. And please don’t tell me it’s great because you can access and communicate things so much quicker, we were doing fine just before in accessing everything and I think we could all survive without seeing pictures of what people you loosely call friends were eating or drinking last night. I’ve no doubt the world would be a (slightly) better place without Twitter, Insta etc....
Something needs to change. It is a social experiment gone badly wrong.

Last edited:
Mou Mou on Bergy:

He's accumulating also physical problems. I don't know if you could see but even in the last 10 minutes he was touching his groin, he was touching his adductor.

He's having problems that are stopping him now and again from training properly and at high intensity so he's suffering a little bit.

But of course he gives very good things to the team. I believe the goals will arrive if his condition improves.

The last few matches where's he's probably touched the ball less than 5 times in the opposition half won't have helped his confidence. I think he just needs to play in more games like today where he gets touches in and around the box. He will stop snatching at chances, he isn't a natural goal scorer so he needs practise and rhythm to develop that aspect of his game.

He is going to come good. Jose knows we have a potential star in the Mane mould if we can get it right with him. Just needs time.

There really is a very good player in him. Just turned 23 and as Jose says he has been troubled with various injurys. Thought he did well today.

His age which you point out is an important point - still a lot of scope to improve. Until we have a more creative player to add to the front 3, I'd like to see him playing week in week out given that, as well as helping his development, he'll deflect defenders attention more due to his pace which in turn will create more space for Kane and Son

Needs to put some of these chances away. Didn’t cost us today but it sort of did indirectly against Liverpool. Happy to give him more time though as we don’t have a clear first choice to play alongside Son and Kane. I think we need a better player then Bergwijn tbh but we were all hoping Bale would be better than he has been.

Needs to put some of these chances away. Didn’t cost us today but it sort of did indirectly against Liverpool. Happy to give him more time though as we don’t have a clear first choice to play alongside Son and Kane. I think we need a better player then Bergwijn tbh but we were all hoping Bale would be better than he has been.
He clearly does the scurrying job Jose likes. If he can add quality to his work on the ball we will have a top, top, triffic playa.

We shouldn't single out Bergwijn against Liverpool unless we also pull up Kane for the brick header.

Bergwijn has been playing well this last month and had a very good game today. The goals will come if he keeps getting in the right positions.

We shouldn't single out Bergwijn against Liverpool unless we also pull up Kane for the brick header.

Bergwijn has been playing well this last month and had a very good game today. The goals will come if he keeps getting in the right positions.

It wasn’t my intention to single him out and I did say “partly” as I was alluding to the fact that Kane missed a great chance too. But to he blunt, Kane has more credit in the bank. Bergwijn had two great chances in that game and missed the target with both.

Defensively he’s doing an admirable job, I just feel he’s not really giving us much at all going forward. Has 1 goal this season? Isn’t creating much or assisting, lots of our attacks break down when he has the ball. Like I said I’m not giving up on him but at the same time there’s an obvious drop in quality after Kane and Son. The likes of Moura, Bergwijn, Lamela and Bale are all upgradable and whilst it’s not a priority for now, it’s an area we should look to address in the summer assuming we have found at least one new CB and a DM with a better range of passing than Sissoko.

The guy is 23, works damn hard on the pitch even when partially injured, has scored some good goals and shown periods of quality all within a year of a massive change and step up in quality of league he’s operating in. It’s good to know that some are ‘happy to give him more time’ as if he is on the verge of being confined to the scrapyardo_O....

Defensively he’s doing an admirable job, I just feel he’s not really giving us much at all going forward
He's not just doing a defensive job! He WAS CRUCIAL to the 2nd goal yesterday. He was out wide when Kane received the ball, and Bergwijn made a run infield to drag the left back with him. This led to Kane having free space in front of him, to be able to make the pass to Son. Without that run, Kane would have had a much tougher time to be able to cross, if at all.
These are things that the average fan does not see, think through nor appreciate, but actions that nonetheless are crucial.
My guess is that Mourinho was well pleased with that, as it's probably a scenario they have been working on.
Add to that, he also created the penalty for the first goal. So, crucial contribution to 2 of 3 goals....

Last edited:
He works his nuts off, so that gives him a better than evens chance of staying in favour with Mourinho.

Last edited:
The guy is 23, works damn hard on the pitch even when partially injured, has scored some good goals and shown periods of quality all within a year of a massive change and step up in quality of league he’s operating in. It’s good to know that some are ‘happy to give him more time’ as if he is on the verge of being confined to the scrapyardo_O....

Sorry to cut your post down to size but I’m really puzzled as to why this is controversial? I’m happy with his defensive contributions to the team but I would like to see more from him at the other end of the pitch given that he is an attacking player. He’s not scored a goal in 19 appearances. He’s not hiding and is putting himself in positions to score so I give him credit for that, but I would like to see him score, create and not have attacks break down when he gets the ball. I get the impression that many on here and on social media are rallying around him because of the abuse he copped after the Liverpool game. Let me just say I condemn any abuse of any kind, I’ve always said it usually comes from people who have nothing else in their lives except football. That’s totally fine but we still have to be allowed to criticise aspects of a player’s game just as we would with Moura, Bale or anyone else.

If you are happy with his attacking output then I guess we will have to leave it there.

Back