• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

I think that staying back here during the last international break was the turning point. He got to regain fitness and work with the coaches meaning that he was trusted for the City game. He took his chance and has built on that.

I agree. I wasn't at all happy with Stevie earlier on as I felt he didn't bring anything different to what we already had in the squad. I was particularly underwhelmed as to what he brought in an attacking sense and was shocked by his apparent lack of blazing pace. However, his last few performances have begun to warm me to him and at last (against Antwerp) he is showing a willingness to take on players and influence our attacking play more proactively. Long may his progression continue.

I agree. I wasn't at all happy with Stevie earlier on as I felt he didn't bring anything different to what we already had in the squad. I was particularly underwhelmed as to what he brought in an attacking sense and was shocked by his apparent lack of blazing pace. However, his last few performances have begun to warm me to him and at last (against Antwerp) he is showing a willingness to take on players and influence our attacking play more proactively. Long may his progression continue.

Unfortunayely he resorted to type today. Hugely disappointing.

Think he is an average squad filler type. He is not someone I could ever imagine having a break out season or even reaching son sort levels of consistency.

I think he's been workmanlike the last few weeks but as @JerusalemMan says, that's not what we thought we were buying. I think he showed flashes last season that there is a player in there but he's not doing enough for me at the moment. That said, I'm not sure who the replacement should be if it's not GLC. Bale, Lucas and Dele haven't shown enough and Lamela is injured.

Did not have his best game today fore sure but he has been playing well up to today, kid has just turned 23 and already he is being written off by some.
Just turned 23, and not even been here a year yet, 13 PL starts so far.

He has a fairly wide range of qualities. Quick (even if not blistering), close control, good with both feet, great work rate, has shown glimpses of end product too.

The question remains if he can step it up from where he is now.

I thought he was OK. The problem is that it seems his primary role is to defend and that isn’t freeing him up much to attack.
I agree, but i suppose he's thinking, 'if it gets me in the team...i'll do what's asked of me'. Hopefully as the team develops the other side to his game will come to the fore, as he's a team player when going forward as well, a good judge of when to pass or go it alone.

I agree, but i suppose he's thinking, 'if it gets me in the team...i'll do what's asked of me'. Hopefully as the team develops the other side to his game will come to the fore, as he's a team player when going forward as well, a good judge of when to pass or go it alone.
Of course. He is clearly a good team player. I would hope all of our players play to the manager’s instructions. Those that don’t will be subbed/dropped/sold, that is why I found it strange when some people criticised Aurier over playing so high up the pitch last season, when it was that he was playing completely to Jose’s instruction).

Bergwijn's form and performances have followed quite closely the evolution of our playing style. When we are positioned further upfield and press opponents in the opposition half his intelligent runs and good link up play come to the fore as he is an intelligent player rather than a mercurial one. However for the past 4 games we have obviously sat much deeper and co test the ball in our half more, this doesn't seem to suit him and pulls him away from where he does damage. The complaints are almost asking for a different type of player more in the I'll of a Mahrez or D.Costabut Mourinho probably wouldn't play them in this current system and team.

If we play further upfield and in the opposition half his support play will be more evident as it is he's being asked to perform a specific role in this system and presumably is doing it to a decent standard.

As we sit deeper and defend in tight shape he is being asked to roam and hunt fornthe ball

I thought worked hard today doing his tracking back and defending.

I agree, he is a willing worker and also has the ability to cause problem when we attack, as someone earlier said he has not played many games here and he will get better as he gets more games.

I thought he was OK. The problem is that it seems his primary role is to defend and that isn’t freeing him up much to attack.

I’d agree to a point. He’s probably in the team primarily for his defensive work but he’s offering very little at the other end and our attacks often break down when he gets the ball. Not writing him off and happy for him to get more starts but I would like to see more from him at the attacking end all the same.

I’d agree to a point. He’s probably in the team primarily for his defensive work but he’s offering very little at the other end and our attacks often break down when he gets the ball. Not writing him off and happy for him to get more starts but I would like to see more from him at the attacking end all the same.
He shows more when the team as a whole are stationed up the pitch. He needs runners and support around him as he likes to play off others. By himself in the middle of the pitch or in our half of the pitch he's ineffective offensively.

Back