• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

I'm so pessimistic, I worry about another Rednapp style collapse, as injuries and lack of a back up for Harry Kane take their toll. Hope to buggery that I am wrong and this group of players have more steel in their belly than I do...all I know is that it would be wonderful to see Spurs in the Champions League again...70 points might well do it....normally I hate the Arsenal and want them to lose every game on principle, but on Saturday I (almost) don't care about the goons, I just want the points for us. The fact we would have beaten them would make it sweeter but fundamentally it is about Spurs right now for me, and keeping our momentum going, not disintegrating and ending up 5th or something daft.

I am convinced it will, and preferably I would like to see us reach that total BEFORE we play Saudi Sportswashing Machine, after Weds I have us down for 69pts. If we could win on Saturday for me that would negate the WH loss and give us a 'free game' at Stoke

I'm so pessimistic, I worry about another Rednapp style collapse, as injuries and lack of a back up for Harry Kane take their toll. Hope to buggery that I am wrong and this group of players have more steel in their belly than I do...all I know is that it would be wonderful to see Spurs in the Champions League again...70 points might well do it....normally I hate the Arsenal and want them to lose every game on principle, but on Saturday I (almost) don't care about the goons, I just want the points for us. The fact we would have beaten them would make it sweeter but fundamentally it is about Spurs right now for me, and keeping our momentum going, not disintegrating and ending up 5th or something daft.
I think we all have an in-built pessimism following Spurs which kicks in from time to time. But whatever happens it won't be comparable to the collapse under Rednapp, which was just shocking. I'd certainly be disappointed if we missed out on CL now (although CL would exceed my start-of-season expectations) - disappointed for the team given how much they have put in to this season, they deserve the reward - but we do need to get a few more wins under our belt before we can start to feel more comfortable about it.
I'm sure the team do have the steel in their belly you mention. Mine is just full of nerves.
I believe we will make CL. Agree with the 70 points target. I am trying to keep a glass half-full outlook. But a belly of nerves and a half-full glass are not a good mix!

The defeat to West Ham was a setback to us. But maybe we under estimated West Ham. They had been unbeaten in 11 home matches in the league since August. They had lost only twice at home in the league : to Leicester and Bournemouth. And they had already beaten Arsenal(A), ManCity(A), Liverpool(H and A), Chelsea(H) and drew with ManU(A). So, maybe they can do us a favour as they still need to play Leicester(A), Arsenal(H) and ManU(H). But then, we have to be careful about West Ham as well as they are only 8 points behind us now.

The defeat to West Ham was a setback to us. But maybe we under estimated West Ham. They had been unbeaten in 11 home matches in the league since August. They had lost only twice at home in the league : to Leicester and Bournemouth. And they had already beaten Arsenal(A), ManCity(A), Liverpool(H and A), Chelsea(H) and drew with ManU(A). So, maybe they can do us a favour as they still need to play Leicester(A), Arsenal(H) and ManU(H). But then, we have to be careful about West Ham as well as they are only 8 points behind us now.
After the b*llocking that Poch was said to have given the players at half time against Swansea for not showing them enough respect, I very much doubt any player went out there thinking Wednesday's game would be easy. I don't think we under estimated West Ham at all. And if we did, more fool us. They are a team in form, with a good manager and some decent players. There were a number of factors that played a part in Wednesday's result, but the main one is that Bilic's team set-up and tactics worked a treat to stop us playing our game. Fair play to him for that.

West Ham can certainly do us a favour, as they aim to cement EL for next season, and perhaps even eye the 4th spot. As can other teams. There are points to be lost for everyone. But whilst us fans can worry about everyone else and do all the permutations, Poch and the coaching staff just have to keep the team focused on what WE are doing, not anyone else. One game at a time I think is the mantra of the day.

For me it's all about Leicester. I think their run of games from here on in is very favourable, their confidence is high and even though they will drop the odd point here and there, none of the chasing pack will win more games than Leicester.
For me, if they win it, it's all about finishing 2nd and getting the automatic CL spot. Finishing 4th is not a good thought with United still in the Europa league, the winners of which get a CL spot. I'm less worried about Chelsea in the CL as there is little chance they could beat Barca.

I wonder how many of the posters who say that every game is important, dislike rotation and do not want us to prioritise competitions, would with the benefit of hindsight, swap that FA Cup victory over Leicester for a league win.

I think Leics will struggle against Palace and Watford away...Also you have to think that when it gets "real" nerves will play a part and some freak results will crop up.

I realistically see us winning our next three...then its just hang in there time

For me it's all about Leicester. I think their run of games from here on in is very favourable, their confidence is high and even though they will drop the odd point here and there, none of the chasing pack will win more games than Leicester.
For me, if they win it, it's all about finishing 2nd and getting the automatic CL spot. Finishing 4th is not a good thought with United still in the Europa league, the winners of which get a CL spot. I'm less worried about Chelsea in the CL as there is little chance they could beat Barca.

If we were to finish 4th and Chelsea were to win the Champions League than we would not get Champions League. But if we finish 4th, United finish 5th or lower and they win Europa League we would still get Champions League as the Europa League winners get their own spot so there would just be 5 English teams in the Champions League.

See La Liga last season where Sevilla finished 5th missing out to Valencia by one point but won the Europa so all five teams entered the Champions League. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_La_Liga#League_table

Only situation I'm unsure on is what happens to the Europa League winners spot if we or United finish top 4 and win the Europa League as well. It wasn't clear on that issue on UEFA's website.

I wonder how many of the posters who say that every game is important, dislike rotation and do not want us to prioritise competitions, would with the benefit of hindsight, swap that FA Cup victory over Leicester for a league win.

Ifs? Buts? and Maybe's?, there is nothing wrong with rotation if done rightly. And yes every game is important.

Ifs? Buts? and Maybe's?, there is nothing wrong with rotation if done rightly. And yes every game is important.

Just trying to make conversation, not trying to prove a point.

Given what has happened since, I assume that you would take a league win over Leicester for the cup victory?

Just trying to make conversation, not trying to prove a point.

Given what has happened since, I assume that you would take a league win over Leicester for the cup victory?

When we play a game I want to win every game especially one that would lead us to winning a trophy, ( after all the game is about glory, or so they used to say). Looking back in hindsight is fruitless and not something that I see the point in doing, some may and that is their prerogative though.

When we play a game I want to win every game especially one that would lead us to winning a trophy, ( after all the game is about glory, or so they used to say). Looking back in hindsight is fruitless and not something that I see the point in doing, some may and that is their prerogative though.

You don't get a trophy for winning the league?

If we were to finish 4th and Chelsea were to win the Champions League than we would not get Champions League. But if we finish 4th, United finish 5th or lower and they win Europa League we would still get Champions League as the Europa League winners get their own spot so there would just be 5 English teams in the Champions League.

See La Liga last season where Sevilla finished 5th missing out to Valencia by one point but won the Europa so all five teams entered the Champions League. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_La_Liga#League_table

Only situation I'm unsure on is what happens to the Europa League winners spot if we or United finish top 4 and win the Europa League as well. It wasn't clear on that issue on UEFA's website.

No the only time we wouldn't get champions league is if both European competitions were won by English sides and we came 4th. They won't allow 6 teams from one country

We can still do it and I believe we will still do it but we need to have another 6 wins on the trot, then maybe one more defeat, and then the rest wins.

Can be done. I don't think we have ever done 7 wins in a row have we yet in the premier league? Could be wrong, but after each defeat this year we have gone on a good run.

Back