• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

Wouldn't hurt to have EL and CL on alternating weeks either. By the time Thursday rolls around everyone has had their fill of midweek football and watching lesser teams isn't as appealing. Or switch the games around so EL plays on Tuesdays and CL on Wednesday/Thursday. Kind of like an undercard for the "big" games to follow.

I think that's a brilliant idea.

Only way to fix the Europa League is make it make the games more exciting than the Champion's League. It cant compete on quality of games.
So straight knock out like the FA Cup format. No second legs. No seeding.
The reason there is a group stage in the Europa is to give the smaller teams revenue over 6 games. But they have no chance to do anything really.
The FA Cup format will give the smaller teams a chance to go further and play lots of games.
Everyone will be more interested in the straight knock out on Thursday than the usual champion's league group game dullness.

Only way to fix the Europa League is make it make the games more exciting than the Champion's League. It cant compete on quality of games.
The reason there is a group stage in the Europa is to give the smaller teams revenue over 6 games. But they have no chance to do anything really.
The FA Cup format will give the smaller teams a chance to go further and play lots of games.
Everyone will be more interested in the straight knock out on Thursday than the usual champion's league group game dullness.

It already is. CL is horribly dull. EL at least retains some old European magic and unpredictability

It is a tournament that gives me the opportunity to take my kids and their mates to at White Hart Lane without requiring a second mortgage thanks to sensible pricing for Europa games, so I like it!

I prefer EL matches to league ones. Better atmosphere and often more entertaining games.

I'll say it again to all spurs fans who say EL is brick/waste/etc.

Stop being a clam .. and stop being such a dummy for blindly parroting a media message ...

Two reasons only

- Europe is part of Spurs heritage, its part of who we are
- I remember BMJ's season, that season when we had our first opportunity to qualify for Europe in close to two decades, the excitement, the "are we going to make it, if we fudge up, can we get via a backdoor like fairplay"

To pretend Europe means nothing now is being a clam like you see Scum/Cheat$ki/City fans doing, playing down competitions as some sort of fudging superiority play .. not cool ...

Anyone who says different, think about what being in the final, and winning the final of Europa this year would do for this club, Poch and us ... and what would you do to be there ...

Anyone who says different, think about what being in the final, and winning the final of Europa this year would do for this club, Poch and us ... and what would you do to be there ...

Rob the gold vault of the Bank of England wearing nothing but clown shoes. However, there is a world of difference between skipping ahead to the glitzy final of a competition and focusing in on the nitty-gritty of a flight over active warzones and several seas to take on some dogged Azeri side from the post-Soviet Caucasus that (let's face it) will go down as a scarcely-pronounceable footnote in our European history, while knowing that doing so will hinder you in the league under the floodlights and with the flashing cameras trained on your side's every move: in the big time, as they call it. And that's without mentioning the (shudder)....Second Knockout Round.

And I say this as a fan of the Europa League, and of the idea of focusing on winning cups above all else (we're a cup side, dammit)

Stop being a clam .. and stop being such a dummy for blindly parroting a media message ...

Two reasons only

- I remember BMJ's season, that season when we had our first opportunity to qualify for Europe in close to two decades, the excitement, the "are we going to make it, if we fudge up, can we get via a backdoor like fairplay"

To pretend Europe means nothing now is being a clam like you see Scum/Cheat$ki/City fans doing, playing down competitions as some sort of fudgeing superiority play .. not cool ...

Its hard to care when we repeatedly field second choice half arsed lineups in the knock out rounds.
We are not gonna get through the knockout rounds without playing our first team.
The other european teams have less and easier domestic games and their leagues move their games to allow them to rest for Europe.

Its hard to care when we repeatedly field second choice half arsed lineups in the knock out rounds.
We are not gonna get through the knockout rounds without playing our first team.
The other european teams have less and easier domestic games and their leagues move their games to allow them to rest for Europe.

This and its going to bite English football in the arse until the FA/Premier League do something as our co-efficient is falling quicker than a knackered lift. It wont be long before we only get 3 champions league spots.

The last point is a good one - presumably its only because TV runs the game in England why this doesn't happen but we could do a lot more to help our teams

This and its going to bite English football in the arse until the FA/Premier League do something as our co-efficient is falling quicker than a knackered lift. It wont be long before we only get 3 champions league spots.

Good sound bite but if you actually look at the facts, we're closer to Germany (in 2nd) than we are to Italy (in 4th). The risk though is that in the oldest season (2011/2) which will go out of the rankings at the end of this season, we scored quite a bit more than Italy so our score will fall relative to theirs (however the same is also true for Germany)

Good sound bite but if you actually look at the facts, we're closer to Germany (in 2nd) than we are to Italy (in 4th). The risk though is that in the oldest season (2011/2) which will go out of the rankings at the end of this season, we scored quite a bit more than Italy so our score will fall relative to theirs (however the same is also true for Germany)

the 14/15 season has ruined the coefficient for years http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2017.html

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I doubt it's that brilliant. They probably thought about it and said "naaah." I was just bumping the thread. :)

Ha! I thought it was brilliant because I hadn't thought of it! I would definitely prefer it this way albeit I'm sure there would be problems with other cup competitions like the carling cup and FA Cup. However it would give the EL much more focus which I think is definitely what is needed.

@Raziel is right though. Getting into Europe was not so long ago defined as a success for us. We should not forget that, and doing well in Europe is in our DNA, so we should go all out to try and win it.

Really? They get 6 games at least when they qualify at the moment. What's the chance of a "smaller team" that you describe getting through 5-6 rounds of knockout action in the EL? I think it's very small.

The interest in the EL would have to skyrocket based on your suggestion for it to make financial sense. It making financial sense is absolutely key to maintain or increase the interest of bigger teams like ourselves.

Two reasons only

To pretend Europe means nothing now is being a clam like you see Scum/Cheat$ki/City fans doing, playing down competitions as some sort of fudgeing superiority play .. not cool ...

I wish I could give this more then one like, If we get to the final i wonder how many of the bleating fans will want to go see it.

Really? They get 6 games at least when they qualify at the moment. What's the chance of a "smaller team" that you describe getting through 5-6 rounds of knockout action in the EL? I think it's very small.

The interest in the EL would have to skyrocket based on your suggestion for it to make financial sense. It making financial sense is absolutely key to maintain or increase the interest of bigger teams like ourselves.

Much more chance of a smaller team getting a kind run in a knock out style competition than there is of them being consistently good enough to advance through the group stages (where they are 3rd/4th favourites) and then rewarded with ties against other group winners/CL knockouts?

Much more chance of a smaller team getting a kind run in a knock out style competition than there is of them being consistently good enough to advance through the group stages (where they are 3rd/4th favourites) and then rewarded with ties against other group winners/CL knockouts?

Chances of them getting out of a group won't be that much lower than them progressing through 4-5 stages of direct knockout competition I would guess? Most results that see a team progress that far in a cup competition also gets them out of a 4 team group. Meanwhile for smaller teams the guaranteed income of 6 group stage games is significant, and I imagine most smaller teams would rather have that than a direct knockout competition where their overall income would probably be lower with a much higher variance. For their fans it's a chance of 3 home games, often with at least one of them being fairly high profile. fudge me, Qarabag got 3 home games against Anderlecht, Monaco and the mighty Tottenham. Isn't that a good thing for them?

Of course in a knockout competition they would then be much further in the tournament. But I really don't think the occasional cinderella story of some unknown team getting to the EL quarter or semi final before being thumped by a bigger team is going to make up for the financial loss of 100+ group stage games being lost in the process. (Even more being lost if it's a direct cup knockout competition instead of being played over 2 legs).

And again, financial sense is the only way to keep the interest high for the top teams - and those teams showing real interest in the tournament is the only way to really keep the tournament high profile.

Back