• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

Race_For_CL_Last_38.png

Over the last 38 games we have been the 4th best team in the league.

Race_For_CL.png

If you compare like for like opponents we are 5th, but it's closer at the top.

Results could have gone a lot worse this weekend, apart from scum and Leicester (who are about to experience a hard run of games and hopefully slow down).

I actually feel more like we "dropped points" against Chelsea than West Brom... we lacked a cutting edge in both games, but you have to give a lot of credit to West Brom (IMO) - they played a disciplined defensive game and it worked for them. Chelsea on the other hand felt like they were totally there for the taking, but we didn't capitalise.

Overall I'm happy with the way the season is going. Yeah, it has felt like we've dropped points after a few games - but with the weird exception of Leicester, the same can be said for every team in the "race for the top four". And fact is... I do think we're in that race. According to the bookies we're not one of the favourites to finish Top 4, but we're certainly not rank outsiders.

I can't quite believe that Leicester will sustain this form for the rest of the season (though part of me would be quietly delighted if they finished as champions and proved that outsiders can still will the premier league). In reality though, I think they'll fade - and it's so tight at the top right now that it'll only take a run of 3 or 4 defeats (which I think will happen sooner rather than later) for them to slip out of the top 4.

I don't think Chelsea will recover enough. I could be wrong, but they don't look even close to finding Top 4 form... they'll spend money in January no doubt, maybe even bring in a new manager, but by the time everything clicks in February it'll be too late. 6th - 12th for them.

I think there's potential for one or both of the Manchester teams to under-perform. Still believe we dodged a bullet with Van Gaal, and that could still go wrong. They've been winning more than I expected - but it's not been good to watch and from what I can tell they haven't actually played well since mid-October. Plus Emirates Marketing Project aren't looking nearly as convincing as they have done (though that will likely change when some of their long-term injuries come back).

Liverpool look pretty fragile to me, despite Klopp's apparent abilities to walk on water and then turn the stuff into wine. I think they are definitely in the "top four" mix, but to suddenly call them title challengers seems a bit silly. Sadly that means I'm now expecting Arsenal to win the league this season. More by default than because they are especially good. I just think they'll be more consistent than the other title challengers.

If I was to bet on it, I think I'd put money on us finishing Top 4. I even think there's a better than evens chance of United imploding early in the new year, pushing up into third by the end of the year (again - more because I think they will underperform, rather than us over-achieving). Top 6 in May: Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project, Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd, Leicester...

Or not.

I'm actually more confident that what will help us close the gap is beating the teams likely to finish top four, rather than the bottom half teams. A number of the bottom half teams will employ Pulis tactics, I believe, which we seem to have trouble with. So likely more draws there than table position would suggest. That being said, I think in the end we'll nick fourth.

I'm actually more confident that what will help us close the gap is beating the teams likely to finish top four, rather than the bottom half teams. A number of the bottom half teams will employ Pulis tactics, I believe, which we seem to have trouble with. So likely more draws there than table position would suggest. That being said, I think in the end we'll nick fourth.

We missed a trick when we dropped points against Chelsea, Liverpool and not finishing off Arsenal at the emirates. I have a feeling we will look back on a couple of games at the end of season (Stoke, Everton) and regret not taking maximum points. I feel we will only just miss out on a champions league place.

We missed a trick when we dropped points against Chel53a, Liverpool and not finishing off Arsenal at the emirates. I have a feeling we will look back on a couple of games at the end of season (Stoke, Everton) and regret not taking maximum points. I feel we will only just miss out on a champions league place.

Chelsea I don't as the team look knackered having just come back from Baku and they admitted as such afterwards. Arsenal I agree with you though

Results could have gone a lot worse this weekend, apart from scum and Leicester (who are about to experience a hard run of games and hopefully slow down).

I agree and actually I don't think that a point at West Brom is a bad result in the same way that a point away at Stoke when Pulis was in charge was never a bad result. They're a feisty time and conditions was rubbish....poor conditions are generally a leveller as it make the game more of a random outcome. Also West Brom beat Arsenal at home a couple weeks ago, whereas we got a point there. So I don't really feel that it was two points dropped, in the same way that I don't feel that its a point unexpectedly gained. Drawing at Swansea or at home to Everton were more two points dropped

West brom have stepped up in the last month and we played them at a difficult time...

This season anyone can take points off anyone so our current record for remaining unbeaten looks more and more impressive

The draws however are an issue and will be more and more as the As the season goes on

2 wins and a defeat is better than our current run of points Over the season. I've always said that 2 points a game average is champions league and that's the target for us as a team

Too many players off the pace. Christian Eriksen has disappointed me in particular, he has been poor over the last few games and is meant to be our big player maker.
Time for some to up their game. We are aiming for a place that requires much more from all our players.

We will now see who can hack it.

Poch will get rid of those who cannot, next summer, that is for sure.

Last edited:
Too many players off the pace. Christian Eriksen has disappointed me in particular, he has been poor over the last few games and is meant to be our big player maker.
Time for some to up their game. We are aiming for a place that requires much more from all our players.

We will now see who can hack it.

Poch will get rid of those who cannot next summer, that is for sure.

It's a shame that Pritchard and Mason are both injured, as they'd be useful options now to give Eriksen a break.

It's a shame that Pritchard and Mason are both injured, as they'd be useful options now to give Eriksen a break.

Agreed, people need to see Eriksen for what he is .. a flair player. While under Poch he puts in a shift (see his distance covered), it affects his creativity. Suspect he is a player we need to rotate more than other, unfortunately, like Kane, we don't really have a like for like option.

The race for CL is between us and Pool, Cheat$ki is too far out now, and Leicester will fade (even without the circus that will happen around Vardy/Mahrez in the window).

85185.jpg

The express have predicted how the league will finish. Not sure what they've been smoking, but I like it.

Agreed, people need to see Eriksen for what he is .. a flair player. While under Poch he puts in a shift (see his distance covered), it affects his creativity. Suspect he is a player we need to rotate more than other, unfortunately, like Kane, we don't really have a like for like option.

The race for CL is between us and Pool, Cheat$ki is too far out now, and Leicester will fade (even without the circus that will happen around Vardy/Mahrez in the window).

Every player "flair" or water carrier, need to now move up a gear if we are to get a top four berth. Eriksen is not earning his corn at present.
We could start Son and Lamela on the flanks and leave Eriksen out, he's neither use nor ornament at the moment.

Always thought the Express was a classy newspaper ;)

Every player "flair" or water carrier, need to now move up a gear if we are to get a top four berth. Eriksen is not earning his corn at present.
We could start Son and Lamela on the flanks and leave Eriksen out, he's neither use nor ornament at the moment.

I don't think so ... Son/Kane move well, make good runs, they would suffer with only Lamela alone behind ..

I've never been completely sold on Eriksen. He's a good player, but lacks the consistency and ability to dominate the big games, and that might prevent him ever becoming a top player.

I do think his starting spot will come under threat when him, Son, Lamela, Dembele, Mason, Alli, Pritchard, Chadli and Njie are all fit, and all 9 are competing for 4 spots (with only maybe Pritchard and Njie being prepared to settle for being a bit part)

Still looking solid for a top four place. Liverpool will make mistakes and drop points again and again, Man Utd don't look anywhere near top quality. I think catching City and the Goons will be a stretch to far but, for me, we are still well on target to push for 3rd place.

You'd still have one of Dembele/Mason/Alli/Pritchard in the #10 position

Pritchard is the only one that is close to the type of player Eriksen is ..

The balance of the team with Eriksen works, hence if I strongly believe we need to rotate him with a similar player. (Think back to last year when we often had too many similar type midfielders and the effect it had)

Back