• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

Wright and Fletcher's are so obviously biased they are probably worth discarding (only ones who went for anyone but City to win, and picked their old club).

So really only Owen left who didn't pick us over Pool (and guess who he played for)

Probably should rename that list to "the order we wish the PL will finish in"

Who exactly are these pundits?
I mean i assume Wright is Ian Wright, but who is Fletcher? And is Campbell the original RSol? And who is Ramsay???

Who exactly are these pundits?
I mean i assume Wright is Ian Wright, but who is Fletcher? And is Campbell the original RSol? And who is Ramsay???

Scumball is Scumball. Ramsay could be Chris Ramsay. Fletcher I assume is the ex-Manu and West Brom one.

Scumball is Scumball. Ramsay could be Chris Ramsay. Fletcher I assume is the ex-Manu and West Brom one.

The Fletcher at West Brom? Would be a bit odd, given he's still actually playing (and could be argued to actually need to concentrate on keeping his team up...)

I think the bookmakers are a lot more reliable in their predictions than the pundits...

Oddschecker has the lowest odds of us finishing in the top 4 ranging from 2.05 (decimal) or 21/20 (crazy English fractional system) up to 2.5 (decimal) or 3/2 (imperialistic fractional system).

Obviously the bookmakers make money by taking bets with odds slightly lower than the actual probability. Also these numbers are probably skewed a bit by the number of Liverpool fans willing to bet on them finishing in the top 4 (their odds are a bit lower than ours). But for the actual probability to be somewhere in between the two suggested odds for us seems rather likely to me. I do wonder if the 2.5 or 3/2 odds would actually offer value right now...

I think the bookmakers are a lot more reliable in their predictions than the pundits...

Oddschecker has the lowest odds of us finishing in the top 4 ranging from 2.05 (decimal) or 21/20 (crazy English fractional system) up to 2.5 (decimal) or 3/2 (imperialistic fractional system).

Obviously the bookmakers make money by taking bets with odds slightly lower than the actual probability. Also these numbers are probably skewed a bit by the number of Liverpool fans willing to bet on them finishing in the top 4 (their odds are a bit lower than ours). But for the actual probability to be somewhere in between the two suggested odds for us seems rather likely to me. I do wonder if the 2.5 or 3/2 odds would actually offer value right now...
The crazy English fractional system came from the days before betting was done on computers. A normal person betting on course could understand putting £20 on to win £21 (or probably 20p on to win 21p) as opposed to working out the decimal multiplication

Ian Wright isn't a pundit, he is basically a paid fan just like Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson. People who say "we" when they refer to their old teams shouldn't be allowed to offer opinions on said teams or their rivals.

I think the likes of Merson, Souness and G. Neville have managed a balance between the two.

The crazy English fractional system came from the days before betting was done on computers. A normal person betting on course could understand putting £20 on to win £21 (or probably 20p on to win 21p) as opposed to working out the decimal multiplication

Doesn't make sense to me. Sure if you put down exactly the amount of the odds it's easy. But if you're putting down £15 on a 7/4 (or 4/7) odds it's not that straightforward. And comparing odds is much harder with fractions. How does 2/3 compare to 20/21 exactly? One is bigger, but how much?

Decimals seems much easier to me. But of course I've grown up with decimals (before computers were used for betting in any meaningful way too) so that's probably why.

Doesn't make sense to me. Sure if you put down exactly the amount of the odds it's easy. But if you're putting down £15 on a 7/4 (or 4/7) odds it's not that straightforward. And comparing odds is much harder with fractions. How does 2/3 compare to 20/21 exactly? One is bigger, but how much?

Decimals seems much easier to me. But of course I've grown up with decimals (before computers were used for betting in any meaningful way too) so that's probably why.
Fractional odds, like anything else in the world of Imperial measurements, only works if you go all in. So to speak. Putting £15 on at 7/4 doesn't make sense because you're taking a round number from the decimal world, and trying to apply it to the fractional one.

If I saw odds of 7/4, and I wanted to bet a sensible figure, I'd use £12 or £16 -- it'd take me seconds to work out that my winnings would then be £21 or £28. Certainly more quickly than I could work out "£15 at 1.75".

Fractional odds, like anything else in the world of Imperial measurements, only works if you go all in. So to speak. Putting £15 on at 7/4 doesn't make sense because you're taking a round number from the decimal world, and trying to apply it to the fractional one.

If I saw odds of 7/4, and I wanted to bet a sensible figure, I'd use £12 or £16 -- it'd take me seconds to work out that my winnings would then be £21 or £28. Certainly more quickly than I could work out "£15 at 1.75".
Which is exactly what used to happen on course. People would tend to bet in multiples of the second number offered in the odds.

the only book you have to follow is ladbrokes, they're not called the "magic sign" for nothing, they have us at 21/20 to be top 4, I'll go with that and from someone who has spent hundreds of hours at dog tracks down the years, the quickest and easiest way of laying and settling wagers in seconds was using fractional odds

Back