• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

I think ( hope) that sooner or later Vardy will stop scoring as much and Leicester will drop out of the top four. There is usually one team who start well and fall away and I can see Leicester doing just that.

If I was a Leicester fan, all I'd care about is getting over the 42/44 points threshold. Teams without squads always plummet quite dramatically after Christmas.

Weren't someone like Hull near the top at Xmas about 5 years ago and still went down, or very nearly did?

If I was a Leicester fan, all I'd care about is getting over the 42/44 points threshold. Teams without squads always plummet quite dramatically after Christmas.

Weren't someone like Hull near the top at Xmas about 5 years ago and still went down, or very nearly did?

Not sure about Hull ( you could be right) but I believe the spammers were in the top four this time last year.

West Ham averaged 1.82 ppg in their first 17 matches last season and 0.76 ppg in the final 21.

Thought as much, from memory there is usually a team that starts off like a house on fire but then smoulders away ( should have been a writer ;))

Early 90s European competitions (post-ban and pre-screwing up the CWC) were marvellous.

There was almost no difference in prestige between the EC, CWC and UEFA; in fact many considered the UEFA cup the toughest one because a lot of the 2nd and 3rd place teams had become better than the previous season's league and cup winners

CL bores me senseless now - I can't watch it. EL has retained a little bit of the magic
You are not wrong. I'm looking at tonight's fixture list and there really is nothing there I'd bother watching. I might turn on the Barca game as background noise but my interest will be minimal (unless Roma grab an early brace)

Hull were joint 1st (3rd on GD) quite late in the autumn in 2008/9 season - they had a run of 6 wins from 9.

They finished 17th - 1 point above relegation

Early 90s European competitions (post-ban and pre-screwing up the CWC) were marvellous.

There was almost no difference in prestige between the EC, CWC and UEFA; in fact many considered the UEFA cup the toughest one because a lot of the 2nd and 3rd place teams had become better than the previous season's league and cup winners

CL bores me senseless now - I can't watch it. EL has retained a little bit of the magic

The group stage is boring, but it's the best club competition in world football by a distance. How many of the top 10 teams in Europe would you say don't play in the CL currently? The Europa League group stage is an even worse standard than the CL group stage.

I don't think West Ham will fall as far as they did last season as they have a better manager, that said, they shouldn't threaten the top 4-6.

As much as I can't stand Fat Sam, Bilic is nowhere near him. What happened last year was Carroll's return to fitness. They stopped playing decent football and also picking up points. He's already made them less potent with his return this time.

Disagree, the CL should be about champions not those that finish in the runners up / losers positions in their Lge.
Meh, that means you would lose out on having both Barca/Real in the same competition. And all those top teams from the PL. Bayern's dominance of the Bundesliga would be even more ridiculous. In short, you would miss out on a lot of good teams. Many of those teams are actually better than the 'champions' of many of the domestic leagues. The CL ensures that almost all the top-teams are in one competition. It makes for a very strong cup. The problem with it is that it has come at the expense of the Europa League.

Indeed, all three were worthwile. EC1 had all the champions, so that was a very good competition obviously. EC2 had the cup-winners, which is something different. While the EC3 had the remaining good teams, so that was also a quality cup.

Disagree with that, EL is a Micky Mouse Cup. Half-empty stadiums, B-squads, far away places, even the song at the beginning of the match is way worse than the CL one. It's such a B-competition. CL is an amazing competition on the other hand. It sucks that we're not in it though, but the competition itself is very good. I find it strange actually that you seem to rate the EL more, it has the same kind of set-up, just with worse teams.

Disagree with that, EL is a Micky Mouse Cup. Half-empty stadiums, B-squads, far away places, even the song at the beginning of the match is way worse than the CL one. It's such a B-competition. CL is an amazing competition on the other hand. It sucks that we're not in it though, but the competition itself is very good. I find it strange actually that you seem to rate the EL more, it has the same kind of set-up, just with worse teams.
I think the problem with our perception of the Europa League stems from the fact that, in the grand scheme of things, Spurs are a CL-standard club. Stick our 1st XI in the Dutch or Belgian league, and we'd expect to qualify for CL every year. I'd say that, in an average CL group, we'd expect to finish 2nd or 3rd after six tough matches.

Therefore, we look at the EL groups as beneath us, full of pointless trips halfway across Europe (and beyond) in some sort of box-ticking exercise before we take our rightful place in the next round. Personally, I think that's gonad*s, but that is the general perception. Then we'll get knocked out in the QFs and get all disappointed. Which is somewhat hypocritical.

For a club like West Ham or Southampton, and even late-90s Spurs, it's more "We're all going on a European tour!" excitement. Same goes for clubs in the lesser leagues all across Europe.I think giving the EL winners a CL place is long overdue -- they're far more worthy of the "Champions" tag than half the CL entrants.

For a club like West Ham or Southampton, and even late-90s Spurs, it's more "We're all going on a European tour!" excitement. Same goes for clubs in the lesser leagues all across Europe.I think giving the EL winners a CL place is long overdue -- they're far more worthy of the "Champions" tag than half the CL entrants.

West Ham and Southampton certainly didn't seem to approach it in that way though, lol. They didn't care, West Ham in particular basically went out on purpose. EL winners get a CL place now. It's why Sevilla are in the CL. I don't think it's a good idea though. Well, it gives us another entry towards CL football, but it makes a mockery of the EL itself, it only confirms its status as a sh!t competition because when you win it you are rewarded by not having to play in it again...

West Ham and Southampton certainly didn't seem to approach it in that way though, lol. They didn't care, West Ham in particular basically went out on purpose. EL winners get a CL place now. It's why Sevilla are in the CL. I don't think it's a good idea though. Well, it gives us another entry towards CL football, but it makes a mockery of the EL itself, it only confirms its status as a sh!t competition because when you win it you are rewarded by not having to play in it again...
I beg to differ. If anything, the winner getting CL makes it worthwhile. Absent that, it is a boring competition until we get to the QF stage.

I'm pretty sure I saw some analysis posted on here last season that actually showed CL teams travel slightly longer distances over the course of the competition than EL teams.

Also, it's only Sky-warped English fans that belittle the EL. In Italy, Germany and Spain it is still very highly regarded. Our progress/profile in it probably make a much bigger impact on potential signings from the continent than people think

The old eufa cup had typically the winners of their respective leagues that year as most teams don't win back to back leagues, which is Why it was always a harder comp to win

Meh, that means you would lose out on having both Barca/Real in the same competition. And all those top teams from the PL. Bayern's dominance of the Bundesliga would be even more ridiculous. In short, you would miss out on a lot of good teams. Many of those teams are actually better than the 'champions' of many of the domestic leagues. The CL ensures that almost all the top-teams are in one competition. It makes for a very strong cup. The problem with it is that it has come at the expense of the Europa League.

Still disagree with you, if you want a Lge that has the losers ( 2nd and 3rd in their lges) then it can not/ should not be named the Champs Lge.

As for the EL if you really think its a Mickey Mouse Cup there is nothing left to say, do you use the same old myths " Far more games" "Lots more traveling" " its harder to play on a Thursday/ Sunday then it is on a Wednesday/ Saturday or Saturday/Tuesday. Its gonad*s.

Also, it's only Sky-warped English fans that belittle the EL. In Italy, Germany and Spain it is still very highly regarded. Our progress/profile in it probably make a much bigger impact on potential signings from the continent than people think

Too many fans in this Country think they are to good for the EL, as you say they are brainwashed by Sky to believe the only trophy worth winning is the CL, and they are probably the same ones who think the Prem is the best Lge in the world ( more Sky brainwashing).

Still disagree with you, if you want a Lge that has the losers ( 2nd and 3rd in their lges) then it can not/ should not be named the Champs Lge.

As for the EL if you really think its a Mickey Mouse Cup there is nothing left to say, do you use the same old myths " Far more games" "Lots more traveling" " its harder to play on a Thursday/ Sunday then it is on a Wednesday/ Saturday or Saturday/Tuesday. Its cobblers.
I've always taken it to mean the team that wins it become the Champions of Europe. Either way it's just a marketing device, like renaming the old Division II ''The Championship.'

They obviously think we're all macarons.

Back