• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Agreed. In some ways I quite like the NFL draft system as it at least seeks to level the playing field. However, it also has its drawbacks.
The nfl draft system only works because its a closed shop there is only one nfl league in the world.Also you need the experience of the college game to play at pro level and you have 32 teams which are more or less as wealthy as each other so the draft and roster sizes ensure parity over a period of time.

If United sign him as well I am at a loss as to how much money United can spend and stay within the FFP regs, especially if they are still going to make their stellar signing next week (Bale? Ronaldo?)
They're ridiculously rich. Their brand identity can be talked about in the same breath as Coca Cola. They dwarf Barca and Real on a global scale.

They really are ridiculous when it come to income. They can out spend City and Chelsea put together based on non-dodgy income.

The nfl draft system only works because its a closed shop there is only one nfl league in the world.Also you need the experience of the college game to play at pro level and you have 32 teams which are more or less as wealthy as each other so the draft and roster sizes ensure parity over a period of time.

Agree with that apart from them being as wealthy as each other. Dallas Cowboys are by far the wealthiest (twice the average), but that has counted for nil in terms of superbowls and success. As you say, there's no way that we could level the playing field in a similar manner as it is just too different, but FFP has not achieved a level playing field but rather secured the top teams to be able to pay for the best players come what may.

Wrap this up, Levy. Come on. Poch is pleading for a striker in interview after interview. So help me, if it comes to Bobby Zamora on a free as the window shuts, or something similarly ridiculous yet entirely plausible.... :mad:

They're ridiculously rich. Their brand identity can be talked about in the same breath as Coca Cola. They dwarf Barca and Real on a global scale.

They really are ridiculous when it come to income. They can out spend City and Chel53a put together based on non-dodgy income.
I agree. You can't begrudge United spending big through self generated income. Questioning Utd's expenditure in terms of FFP seems a bit churlish.

We haven't sold them Fazio? And it doesn't take a minute for United to lodge a bid, they have much more cash- if they want him they'll get him.

However he doesn't strike me as someone they want, they're trying for Bale and Neymar that's the sort of level of player they're after....

They have zero chance of signing Neymar and even if they do sign Bale it will not be this summer because he does not want to leave and Madrid do not want to sell him

Wrap this up, Levy. Come on. Poch is pleading for a striker in interview after interview. So help me, if it comes to Bobby Zamora on a free as the window shuts, or something similarly ridiculous yet entirely plausible.... :mad:
Then we have to buy Bobby fram Brighton... ;)

I have a feeling this is not going to end well for us so I hope we have some other contingency plan in mind.

They have zero chance of signing Neymar and even if they do sign Bale it will not be this summer because he does not want to leave and Madrid do not want to sell him
Indeed, the point being that's the calibre of player they want in the forward position - Van Gaal has made no secret of his desire for a real top player. I can't see him going from that to Berahino, but who knows....

I have a feeling this is not going to end well for us so I hope we have some other contingency plan in mind.
I actually believe we will be buying two players, Berahino and a CM/DM. If we manage to get rid of Ade, and sell Lennon and Fazio - I think we could be in for a surprise.

I think in terms of player recruitment were are in a tricky spot. The truth is we would still get a player over Stoke, or without being presumptuous, we could match their wages. But we can get payers a notch above what Stoke, Saints and the rest pay or can pay. But this pool of players attracts bigger clubs too, lurking as they do behind the top tier of players.

Hence, if we start signing players like Shaquiri ahead of Stoke (which i think a lot of nervous fans wanted to do) then we'll soon be at their level. There are too many Shaquiris in the world to corner the market on them ;) The league will soon be made of players like this if all the money keeps swashing round. The only way we can stay ahead in the short term is by cleverly using our slim advantage to buy the occasional quality player whilst continuing to invest in the best youth players we can both bring through and acquire. In the long term, once the stadium is delivered we won't have to worry about a closing pack anymore anyway.

Players like Berahino and Wanyama (to a lesser degree) won't be easy to snare, as they and their agents won't be clamouring to sign for us but rather seeing whats on offer. Hence, we either wait it out and get involved in a poker match for players, which by definition almost you can't win every time, or you shoot your load early on the likes of the Liverpool squad or high paid players that would otherwise go to Stoke or Leicester. If no signings come off then we make do with what we have, which I think we would probably all agree is an exciting group of talented young players good enough to compete at a high level in the premier league.

What was that stat about their club shop at the ground turning over more in a financial year then all the league clubs outside of the EPL put together?

I think in terms of player recruitment were are in a tricky spot. The truth is we would still get a player over Stoke, or without being presumptuous, we could match their wages. But we can get payers a notch above what Stoke, Saints and the rest pay or can pay. But this pool of players attracts bigger clubs too, lurking as they do behind the top tier of players.

Hence, if we start signing players like Shaquiri ahead of Stoke (which i think a lot of nervous fans wanted to do) then we'll soon be at their level. There are too many Shaquiris in the world to corner the market on them ;) The league will soon be made of players like this if all the money keeps swashing round. The only way we can stay ahead in the short term is by cleverly using our slim advantage to buy the occasional quality player whilst continuing to invest in the best youth players we can both bring through and acquire. In the long term, once the stadium is delivered we won't have to worry about a closing pack anymore anyway.

Players like Berahino and Wanyama (to a lesser degree) won't be easy to snare, as they and their agents won't be clamouring to sign for us but rather seeing whats on offer. Hence, we either wait it out and get involved in a poker match for players, which by definition almost you can't win every time, or you shoot your load early on the likes of the Liverpool squad or high paid players that would otherwise go to Stoke or Leicester. If no signings come off then we make do with what we have, which I think we would probably all agree is an exciting group of talented young players good enough to compete at a high level in the premier league.

Nail on head Armchair.

A level playing field, or at least closer to a level playing field, could be achieved with the following rules:

- Wage caps.
- Maximum squad size (for instance 25).
- Maximum 3 additional players on loan.

But that's a completely different discussion.

A level playing field, or at least closer to a level playing field, could be achieved with the following rules:

- Wage caps.
- Maximum squad size (for instance 25).
- Maximum 3 additional players on loan.

But that's a completely different discussion.

I think an absolute wage-cap rather than one relative to a club's turnover is absolutely the way to go to get a more competitive league. You would then get players not holding out for certain clubs, or managers and it would just be more competitive. Would never happen in a million years though.

I think what will happen is that there will be more of an influx of foreign players in the EPL. The new deal that will kick in next year will just put almost every club in the EPL on a different planet compared to the other leagues with a few exceptions to individual clubs.

Only in your head.

Could not agree more.

Back