• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Release clause is £25.8m. Seems we've offered £22m + variables, Valencia's board have urged the president to accept but he says no. Now it's rumoured that Liverpool have met the release clause.

More like we've offered them half spread over 5 years with the other half as add ons. I don't think we're cash rich club.

More like we've offered them half spread over 5 years with the other half as add ons. I don't think we're cash rich club.

Well I can only go by the reports. Valencia's chairman says he wants €30m and last night said our offer isn't far off. Of course we may have got him in on the "staging" as well though.

If they want loads up front we could get a loan and pay the bank in installments instead. Levy might want some performance related clauses instead, like number of games played, CL qualification etc.

If they want loads up front we could get a loan and pay the bank in installments instead. Levy might want some performance related clauses instead, like number of games played, CL qualification etc.

I seem to recall reading that loans for players are expensive because players aren't hugely liquid as assets and their value can be so variable.

i was going to mention the loan myself - think it has been done in the past?

I think it's quite common for clubs to take up loans against future tv and ticket income when you need to pay big sums. Everton even do it to pay wages, but they're finances are pretty fudged.

I seem to recall reading that loans for players are expensive because players aren't hugely liquid as assets and their value can be so variable.

We probably have a decent credit limit and obviously other assets to borrow against. Other lenders than banks might be an option. How they do it I don't know, but its a possibility.

Sounds like there's some last minute shennanegans over the payment structure. I have no idea myself, just picking upon gossip here, but some are saying fee is agreed and now the issue is structure of deal over taxes (?)...and that the chairman's gone a big 'rogue' so-to-speak...poor but typical I suppose. Here's hoping they resolve the issue.

Thoroughly entertaining thread. It has given readers an insight into the different ways fans view a transfer.

My take is ..we knew Valencia were skint..we offered them cash money which nobody else did. We certainly did not offer them 30 million euros. I would be surprised if we offered half that.

If reports are to be believed we got wind they had signed another striker and lowered our bid. It's business.

Personally feel that they will cave, Liverpool cannot at this time match our wages so they will not even bother going in if we are already deal done with Soldado. IMO if they did we would just match. Liverpool will look stupid... again.

This is all posturing by some bloke assigned by the local Valencia government/the bank that bought the debt trying to get the most they can to help service an €85m debt (included new stadium €350m debt).

I know I joke about Adebayor going there as a sweetner for a season, but in reality it would help them so much if we did.

Last edited:
Personally feel that they will cave, Liverpool cannot at this time match our wages so they will not even bother going in if we are already deal done with Soldado. IMO if they did we would just match. Liverpool will look stupid... again.

This is all posturing by some bloke assigned by the local Valencia government/the bank that bought the debt trying to get the most they can to help service an €85m debt (included new stadium €350m debt).

I know I joke about Adebayor going there as a sweetner for a season, but in reality it would help them so much if we did.

are you sure? :lol: it wont take much, we are not exactly generous when it comes to wages.

Not only can they match it but they can offer more. Sending Ade there would also be rather daft as we'd be left with 2 poachers in the squad who offer little else.

Last edited:
Not only can they match it but they can offer more. Sending Ade there would also be rather daft as we'd be left with 2 poachers in the squad who offer little else.

I agree, which is why I think we should also go for one of Juve's four unwanted strikers. They're actively trying to hawk them out to anyone who could conceivably want them (in order to make squad space for a LB and lower the wage bill a bit), and the prices quoted seem to be eminently reasonable (in the region of 8-10 million euros for each one). Vucinic, Quagliarella, Giovinco and Matri are the ones available, and although Giovinco is too lightweight for the Prem, and Matri too much of a poacher for our tastes, Vucinic and Quagliarella seem well suited to our needs: reasonably competent, reasonable wages, and adept at playing with their backs to goal as well as in a more advanced position.

If we can, we should. Then we can offload Ade and save on his wages while bringing in both the Marquee Striker (tm) and a consistent back-up.

The situation in relation to funding transfers may have changed but I am pretty sure that it used to be that if you were buying domestically, between british clubs, then whatever the end transfer fee was had to be paid 50% down straight away with the remainder dealt with as agreed by the clubs involved but half had to be paid up front with immediate effect. Transfers between clubs in different countries could be structured any which way it was deemed suitable to the selling club.

Valencia have kind of hinted that they won't budge from the £25.8m asking price but will accept ways in which is structured to get the deal through. I think we are just at a point now where the chance to get him is so close that it would be silly to throw it away. It is alot of money for someone who is 28 years old but he is a proven scorer at a very high level and quite possibly could be enough on his own to fire us back into the Champions League provided we keep everyone else together.

I definitely think the deal can be done with a bit of TLC. Valencia have debts of over £100m and it would have been worse if they hadn't managed to do a deal with Bankia to more or less hand over the site of the current ground as collateral for a future sale in order to secure funding and guarantee the finishing off of the new stadium. We as a fanbase will need to be patient as i can see this one rumbling on into the first few days of August.

I agree, which is why I think we should also go for one of Juve's four unwanted strikers. They're actively trying to hawk them out to anyone who could conceivably want them (in order to make squad space for a LB and lower the wage bill a bit), and the prices quoted seem to be eminently reasonable (in the region of 8-10 million euros for each one). Vucinic, Quagliarella, Giovinco and Matri are the ones available, and although Giovinco is too lightweight for the Prem, and Matri too much of a poacher for our tastes, Vucinic and Quagliarella seem well suited to our needs: reasonably competent, reasonable wages, and adept at playing with their backs to goal as well as in a more advanced position.

If we can, we should. Then we can offload Ade and save on his wages while bringing in both the Marquee Striker (tm) and a consistent back-up.

Vucinic would be a pretty good signing actually. On Giovinco, I actually think he would do alright over here tbh.

Two pages of absolute nonsense. Not because none of you are correct or incorrect but because NONE of us know the financial situation.

How can anyone make an informed decision based on... errr.. no information?

Who said we cant afford £25m?
When was this said?

No one has said anything. Its a bit like someone speaking for me saying (out of thin air) 'DHSF cannot afford a new car' when infact I fudgein well can. I just choose not to and until I need one and the car is fascinating then ill go buy it.

Who died and made everyone Levy?

ps - the chances are Higuain will command double what Soldado would reportedly get at Spurs its that recurring expenditure that we couldnt afford. One off payments? who knows.

absolutely, none of us truly know the financial situation. all we can do is speculate on facts

the fact is i am yet to see us spend big money on a players that can be considered ageing. That is the facts of the past...until that happens i'll be speculating on historic information which says we wont be breaking our transfer record on a 28 / 29 year old player

you say there is no information? that is factually and categorically wrong. there is historic data which people use in almost every single industry to plot out trends and future events. what do you think i and others base this on? a super spy in the board room? no.....quite frankly its just common sense and obervation...even though i get alot wrong....but to say there is no information is quite crazy.

also , who DID say we cant afford 25 million to spend? i will tell you though, in our dealings we have shown that we cant AFFORD TO spend that kind of money without some kind of buffer. maybe because we arent going crazy with the spending like other clubs ay?

how do you know what Higuain will or wont cost us in wages if you dont mind me asking?

that was the idea with Bentley but look how that turned out. Over 27 mill in total, transfer fee and wages, down the plughole. there are no guarantees

a different example, we signed Ade for 5 mill, wow what a transfer fee bargain, but it looks like we have signed brick Ade who now we will find hard to get rid of. no guarantees

agreed, there are no guarantees, i never said there was ...but spending that money on bently at the time fit the MO of how the club had been operating for quite some years prior to that purchase. and the reasoning behind it was sound...its the same kind of reasoning that made us by other not so good investments....bent/ jenas etc...but also saw us get bale and modric. If you have a model and method you trust...you stick to it...and i think we are sticking to ours as much as we can

i would be very surprised if we broke our record for a guy thats fast approaching 30 with little guarantee of recouping that money even as the years go buy and the players value is re-assesd evenly over the course of his contract.....you would still need to get a good amount above the value of the player at any specific moment of his tenure with us to say..."okay, this wasnt a 100% success but we recouped the value and then some in year Y"

I speculate too and nothing wrong with it - its great and I also enjoyed the last two pages BUT it seems that there is a bit of 'fact' flying around ie we will not spend £20m on a player (sorry Afrian) but that is gonad*s. We have already bid over £20m so that 'fact; already falls flat. Speculation is one thing but talking about our finances as if theyre fact just leads people down a spiral staircase.

:) thats amazing how you did that. Its the very essence of being a politician LOL

first off you say "there is A BIT of a fact going around. "A bit of..."...which doesnt imply and actually more shows that it ISNT even fact, but in the straw man fashion you use rumours to say that non fact falls flat on its face=D>

first off, i never said anything or at least i dont think i did, was fact. i really cant help how you read the posts when you take people's opinions and say that they are facts. Actually maybe i can, i could put a disclaimer or try extra hard to point out its an opinion...or a strong belief actually...you know what i think i'll start doing that. cause you arent the first , there have been many, that take my slightly stronger than usual resolution as arrogant...and factual.:(

secondly you that said in a post previously that no one here knows anything about our finances and the last two pages are nonsense......how do you know for sure we have bid over 20 million? do you have a super spy in the board room like the ITKs? my guess is you dont and you are speculating like the rest of us based on 'stuff' and 'rumours' that you read

Back