• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Agreed, african is wrong to state we won't spend £20m. I know where he is coming from; in the past we have signed younger players and don't like to spend big on older players, and have never spent anything like £25m... we all know that... but he cannot say we won't.

If Ronaldo suddenly fell out with Madrid and was available for £50m and £60k wages we'd spend £50m... it's all about value.

The thing that usually stops us is wages and that has hardly been mentioned. If Soldado's wages are £50k for 5 years that is 50k x 5yrs x 52=£13m over 5 years

If he wants £100k that is £26m over 5 years

That has WAY more impact than the initial fee being £22m or £24m or £26m.

Why the hell do people not talk about wages and concentrate on the headline fee!

What about the agent's cut? What about bonuses for goals or CL qualification? What about image rights and sponsorship deals? What about the low/high taxes in Spain being offset?

No, ignore all that and talk about either £20m or £24m. Sheesh.

of course wages comes into play. i mentioned that before didnt i? or was it the villa thread? i cant remember its all starting to blend in together

but its all the fianancial...wages, fee, future sell on, player potential, stadium capacity etc

all that comes into effect and i dont see us paying that kind of money for soldado. what would you envisage his wages to be anyway? ball park figure...cause i think it would be north of 70 thousand..

seventy thousand and 26 million for a guy that is going to be 29 soon?

i would be very surprised

That's typically ITK; an announcement that we won't sign him? That we will sign him? That the 3:08pm train to London Waterloo has been cancelled? That Tony Blair likes eating fizzy cola bottles?

Could be an announcement about anything and then, whatever is announced, was what we had been waiting on.

agreed, there are no guarantees, i never said there was ...but spending that money on bently at the time fit the MO of how the club had been operating for quite some years prior to that purchase. and the reasoning behind it was sound...its the same kind of reasoning that made us by other not so good investments....bent/ jenas etc...but also saw us get bale and modric. If you have a model and method you trust...you stick to it...and i think we are sticking to ours as much as we can

i would be very surprised if we broke our record for a guy thats fast approaching 30 with little guarantee of recouping that money even as the years go buy and the players value is re-assesd evenly over the course of his contract.....you would still need to get a good amount above the value of the player at any specific moment of his tenure with us to say..."okay, this wasnt a 100% success but we recouped the value and then some in year Y"

yesyou are right in all you say and I said before all this Baldini in Valencia hoo haa broke out that id be shocked if we went anywhere near Soldado because of his age and transfer fee. It doesnt fit the Spurs model but for some reason we are in there negotiating and by all accounts the offer we made was kind close to what Valencia want :eek:

so now im just rolling with it. If Spurs are in there for this guy, then im right behind them. He is a class finisher, their captain, strong character, in the absolute prime of his career, if we get him we will get 3 to 4 top years out of him. Sometimes i dont like how Levy operates, but one thing i know for sure is that he runs the business very carefully, he would never put the club at risk, so if we are happy to be bidding for Soldado at this level of transfer fee, then lets do it

Cannot wait to watch the player I like lead the line of the Tottenham attack

Its good to know that AVB also is the reported instigator for Soldado.

Cannot wait to watch the player I like lead the line of the Tottenham attack

Its good to know that AVB also is the reported instigator for Soldado.

is Soldaddyo one of your 3 on your wishlist??? Pato was one, cant remember the other 2

yep, I think AVB will be happy with this one.....i di say a few weeks ago that in terms of the transfer committee, my feelings were that D Villa was AVB's wish, Soldado was the desire of Baldini, and Benteke was Levy's/Sherwood's choice. Soldado is more like Villa than Benteke is, so AVB should be happy imo

absolutely, none of us truly know the financial situation. all we can do is speculate on facts

the fact is i am yet to see us spend big money on a players that can be considered ageing. That is the facts of the past...until that happens i'll be speculating on historic information which says we wont be breaking our transfer record on a 28 / 29 year old player

you say there is no information? that is factually and categorically wrong. there is historic data which people use in almost every single industry to plot out trends and future events. what do you think i and others base this on? a super spy in the board room? no.....quite frankly its just common sense and obervation...even though i get alot wrong....but to say there is no information is quite crazy.

also , who DID say we cant afford 25 million to spend? i will tell you though, in our dealings we have shown that we cant AFFORD TO spend that kind of money without some kind of buffer. maybe because we arent going crazy with the spending like other clubs ay?

how do you know what Higuain will or wont cost us in wages if you dont mind me asking?

A bit contradictory I know but my figures (which I had already stipulated) were plucked out of thin air to illustrate my point.

You say ageing but 28 is still a good four years of top quality high level football. Ok we may not make a return on investment but if we will be making a 75m profit on Bale in future - then the OVERALL return is still around 50m which is still pretty damn good... This is not to mention other players who we may make a profit on the likes of Rose or Thudd who would return 8 to 10m profit.

Personally I think we CAN afford it what we couldn't afford in my view would have been the running costs ie wages... I don't think Levy would sanction a deal which we couldn't afford. I don't think you can view the transfer especially a fee of this magnitude as a standalone transfer. Its got to be seen in context ie 25m plus x wages and then you got the players going out and then you got the overall returns plus profit yielded by other players and if in total the books balance then it is a 'good' deal.

It seems like we can afford the deal maybe not as much as the 30m stated but can afford the package as it stands currently.

By the way - he has recently turned 28 so yeh whilst he will turn 29 NEXT year that's after one season.

I'm gonna turn 33 next year but I'm still 32 and not thinkin about 33 as its another 10 months away.

I wish he was a 26 year old - would have been great but unfortunately strikers are rare these days.

is Soldaddyo one of your 3 on your wishlist??? Pato was one, cant remember the other 2

yep, I think AVB will be happy with this one.....i di say a few weeks ago that in terms of the transfer committee, my feelings were that D Villa was AVB's wish, Soldado was the desire of Baldini, and Benteke was Levy's/Sherwood's choice. Soldado is more like Villa than Benteke is, so AVB should be happy imo

I had three.. Villa, Soldado and Pato.. all simalar types IMO.

I had three.. Villa, Soldado and Pato.. all simalar types IMO.

Pato = A player that likes to drop deep and go looking for the ball. A player that more often then not drops deep to find space and is more like Wayne Rooney than anyone else.

Villa = A complete striker that can play on the left of a 3 and as the central figure. A player that can also play off the shoulder of the defender and is very versatile.

Soldado = A poacher that plays off the last defender and does nothing else.

Truth is they're nothing alike..i mean Villa can do what Soldado does but they're not in no way similar. Villa can mix and match, he can go looking for the ball, he can play on the left hand side, he can play off the defender.

If we're comparing Soldado with someone it would be Defoe or maybe Darren Bent. Obviously Soldado's movement is far superior and is a better finisher than the other 2.

Who suggested selling Bale in January? If you think it was me, show me the post - it doesn't exist! I am (and always have been even in his earliest days) one of his biggest fans.

If we had bought a centre forward in January when we were sitting comfortably in third, his extra goals would have almost certainly secured us CL and all the benefits that go with it.

That was the time to go the extra mile and make the necessary investment and as I recall it you were dead against it at that time. Of course, the new stadium is important in the longer term but we need to prioritise the team now.

Gary Lineker is generally considered to be one of the top strikers we've had in the not too distant past - we signed him for a hefty fee (back then anyway) and he was 29....

Gary Lineker is generally considered to be one of the top strikers we've had in the not too distant past - we signed him for a hefty fee (back then anyway) and he was 29....

Yes you have to spend if you want quality. Nothing new there.

My gut feeling is if we do indeed buy Soldado and the fact we have already spend 24 mill in getting Paulinho and Chadli....Bale is gone. There is no way in hell or earth Levy would shell out circa 50 mill for those three players without raising the cash somewhere else.

Suarez 40 mill plus.....Soldado 26 mill

Soldado looks a good deal imo

Back