• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

RIP David Bowie

You missed out cranking. I get the impression many Bowie fans are well acquainted with cranking.

No I didn't, anyone who's familiar with your posts would know that's a given.........

I'm leaving it there with you scara, I've taken no offence and mean none, but before anything gets said that may be misinterpreted I'm out. Thanks for chuckles today when they were needed.

CYdE9GGUAAEhVxI.jpg

Like quite a few, wasn't even aware that he was battling cancer. Sad to see him go, a quite incredible person and a big influence in many respects

The unusual thing of a legend passing away, the silver cloud is that so many who weren't familiar suddenly get exposure to the material, setting people off on what will be a great experience through back catalogs.

Scara - I get that it's your forum and you can do what you want, but that's no reason to act like a complete clam. There's always one on these types of threads, it's quite fascinating.

Scara - I get that it's your forum and you can do what you want, but that's no reason to act like a complete clam. There's always one on these types of threads, it's quite fascinating.
Out of interest, what is it about dying that makes you think we should automatically praise people or avoid criticism where it's due?

This whole "speaking ill of the dead" nonsense is just religion and superstition mixed in with people not being able to fully comprehend and/or explain their feelings.

I didn't think he did much at all for music before he died, and don't think so now either. If you stop to think about it rather than simply reacting, it's better to be nice while he's alive and save the honest appraisals until he's dead when it can't affect him. Unless, of course, you believe that he's "looking down on us" and listening to everything we say and reading everything we type. In which case I don't even know where to start.

I got the same crap when I questioned the validity of a Fat Frank Lampard's Mum RIP thread. As far as I can tell she only really had one job in life - bringing up her pie-munching son. Based on what we know about his off-field behaviour, she did an awful job of it.

Last edited:
I think that Bowie is just about my favourite artist. The breadth, diversity and quality of his 70's material is astounding. As a creative period, I think that it is unmatched in popular music.
I lost a dear friend recently as you know, and this is a massive loss for many other reasons. Grew up with his music. An enormous, enormous loss.

Genuine question, I'm a relative newbie on this forum and I've seen a couple of posts on this thread say scara owns the forum. Why/how? I don't really now how/why forum boards work so this seems like as good a time to ask if any.

If this is to off topic for this thread please feel free to move it,

I always knew that he attracted a particularly obsessive type of fan but I think you've even outdone that expectation.

You know that people don't automatically deserve respect just for dying right? It's something that literally anyone can do. The process of converting person to meat is incredibly common and simple.

People can and do deserve respect for what they do - IMO he didn't do anything that the likes of Lady Gaga isn't doing now, except she has a far better voice to go with it. He was (and she is) a very good example of why art students shouldn't be allowed near music rooms.

Equally, you could choose to strut your anti-stuff privately with a few like-minded (and obviously deprived) friends, but by choosing to come here and get stuck in, you are trolling. Thus you have to expect what comes. This incredible artist has influenced and driven the lives and dreams of millions. brick on that legacy all you want, but frankly, your comments demean you mate. If you ever want a clue on this specific subject, I will happily point you to game-changing records.

Frankly that's nonsense. His body of work stands its own against anyone and there can be only a very small handful of artists who have been more influential. But more importantly his 70's albums (including the ones he did with Iggy and Lou Reed) are all brilliant and so varied.

I really like Gaga but beyond being a bit theatrical I do not see the comparison.

There isn't one. Scara's having a 'Merseyside moment'...perhaps if we all chip in, we can send him on a Branson to Lime Street, book him a room at the Adelphi and tell the hotel to lock him in for 24 hours before feeding him Bowie non-stop and Eccles cakes...:)

His son is a very good mate of mine. Alright you don't like his music, that's your prerogative but is it necessary to bring it into a thread where people are obviously going to be discussing his passing?
I'm certainly no fanboy, but you just smack of the type of troll who makes comments to get people's backs up.
It's so immature, and the funny thing is you think you're being supremely intelligent. Trust me fella, that's not how you look.
And that's it from me in this thread as it's a little too personal.
Well said.

Genuine question, I'm a relative newbie on this forum and I've seen a couple of posts on this thread say scara owns the forum. Why/how? I don't really now how/why forum boards work so this seems like as good a time to ask if any.

If this is to off topic for this thread please feel free to move it,
Essentially I pay for it and make it work.

Mostly I do that so people have a platform to air whichever views they hold as long as they can back them up with reason. Sometimes people let emotions cloud that.

Equally, you could choose to strut your anti-stuff privately with a few like-minded (and obviously deprived) friends, but by choosing to come here and get stuck in, you are trolling. Thus you have to expect what comes. This incredible artist has influenced and driven the lives and dreams of millions. brick on that legacy all you want, but frankly, your comments demean you mate. If you ever want a clue on this specific subject, I will happily point you to game-changing records.
It's genuinely not trolling.

I, and plenty of others who like a lot of varied music, think Bowie was nothing more than a showman who attracted kids who felt alienated and used that 'outsider' quality to build an army of very dedicated fans. Fans who would listen to his music even if it was Glam Rock or 80s synth-pop.

I heard a good quote from him last night on the radio that pretty much summed him up for me. Please bear in mind I'm heavily paraphrasing due to my memory;
"When I was a kid I saw (a band) on TV playing saxophone. I don't know if it was the instrument or the white suits but I knew I had to do that"
For me, that isn't a real musician, that's a showman who plays instruments and sings.

Mostly I do that so people have a platform to air whichever views they hold as long as they can back them up with reason. Sometimes people let emotions cloud that.

Back them up with 'reason'. And what does that mean exactly? How do you define 'reason'? Your viewpoints in this thread have illustrated a thorough lack of 'reason' by my definition.

On another note altogether, perhaps you could put a contribution button up? No way should you have to shoulder the financial burden of all this. And if we each put in 20 quid that would surely help defray costs?

Cheers scara, I did wonder when I first joined who funded it. I'm not really familiar with how it all works and my curiousity was piqued.

Back