• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

RIP David Bowie

People can and do deserve respect for what they do - IMO he didn't do anything that the likes of Lady Gaga isn't doing now, except she has a far better voice to go with it. He was (and she is) a very good example of why art students shouldn't be allowed near music rooms.

Frankly that's nonsense. His body of work stands its own against anyone and there can be only a very small handful of artists who have been more influential. But more importantly his 70's albums (including the ones he did with Iggy and Lou Reed) are all brilliant and so varied.

I really like Gaga but beyond being a bit theatrical I do not see the comparison.

His son is a very good mate of mine. Alright you don't like his music, that's your prerogative but is it necessary to bring it into a thread where people are obviously going to be discussing his passing?
I'm certainly no fanboy, but you just smack of the type of troll who makes comments to get people's backs up.
It's so immature, and the funny thing is you think you're being supremely intelligent. Trust me fella, that's not how you look.
And that's it from me in this thread as it's a little too personal.

Frankly that's nonsense. His body of work stands its own against anyone and there can be only a very small handful of artists who have been more influential. But more importantly his 70's albums (including the ones he did with Iggy and Lou Reed) are all brilliant and so varied.

I really like Gaga but beyond being a bit theatrical I do not see the comparison.
Couldn't disagree more.

Had he not performed his music (rather than playing it like most do) the first response to this thread would have rightfully been "Who?" I like a lot of stuff by Iggy and Lou Reed but Bowie being part of a particular scene is what got those collaborations going.

The theatrics are what made him, they're also what made him more than just a little ridiculous.

His son is a very good mate of mine. Alright you don't like his music, that's your prerogative but is it necessary to bring it into a thread where people are obviously going to be discussing his passing?
Of course it is. His music is what he's known for and his music was mediocre at best - seeing as he won't be making any more music it's the perfect time to discuss his entire catalogue of costumes and nonsense videos.
I'm certainly no fanboy, but you just smack of the type of troll who makes comments to get people's backs up.
I don't censor my opinions of someone because they're dead, neither will I because they're alive.

His death doesn't make his music any better no matter what the rights holders to Johnny Cash's estate try to tell you.

It's so immature, and the funny thing is you think you're being supremely intelligent. Trust me fella, that's not how you look.
And that's it from me in this thread as it's a little too personal.
You didn't have to make it that way. Had you been in control of your own emotions (a fairly simple task that can be achieved by fairly simple people) it wouldn't be.

Last edited:
@scaramanga Lady Gaga? this must be an age thing me thinks.
I'm probably older than you. There are some excellent parallels between the two - mostly art students roostering about trying to turn their hands to music.

Gaga is a really good singer when she wants to be though so probably edges it (both are brick musically).

I'm probably older than you. There are some excellent parallels between the two - mostly art students roostering about trying to turn their hands to music.

Gaga is a really good singer when she wants to be though so probably edges it (both are brick musically).

You are funny

Couldn't disagree more.

Had he not performed his music (rather than playing it like most do) the first response to this thread would have rightfully been "Who?" I like a lot of stuff by Iggy and Lou Reed but Bowie being part of a particular scene is what got those collaborations going.

The theatrics are what made him, they're also what made him more than just a little ridiculous.

It comes down to songs for me and Bowie's best songs are as good as any ever recorded. As I said before, his run of albums from Man Who Sold The World in 1970 to Scary Monsters in 1980 is without comparison for me. It is an extraordinary body of work with barely a foot wrong over the decade.

Bowie was certainly ridiculous on occasions. There is a long tradition of being ridiculous in rock and roll and a music collection without any ridiculous artists would be pretty dull.

I'm a big fan and echo what milo says re those albums. But I can also understand a bit about scaras opinion. It wasn't just lyrics, or the tunes or even the way he sung them. I would really struggle to explain why Bowie was so special, he could catch something inside YOU. They were his songs about him but they also seemed to resonate to my life. They weren't works of musical genius but my life and so many, many others would have been so much poorer and sadder without them.
Oh and I hate the music press, students, art students and media luvies.

It comes down to songs for me and Bowie's best songs are as good as any ever recorded. As I said before, his run of albums from Man Who Sold The World in 1970 to Scary Monsters in 1980 is without comparison for me. It is an extraordinary body of work with barely a foot wrong over the decade.

Bowie was certainly ridiculous on occasions. There is a long tradition of being ridiculous in rock and roll and a music collection without any ridiculous artists would be pretty dull.
Believe me, I've tried to see what it is people like in his music. A lot of people whose opinions I respect greatly like his music but it's just not there for me.

For want of a better analogy, his music is like an Audi - I can see the value in the quality of the technical achievement but there's no heart or soul in it. No matter what the technical achievement, it will never be a Maserati

Believe me, I've tried to see what it is people like in his music. A lot of people whose opinions I respect greatly like his music but it's just not there for me.

For want of a better analogy, his music is like an Audi - I can see the value in the quality of the technical achievement but there's no heart or soul in it. No matter what the technical achievement, it will never be a Maserati
I'm like that with Sinatra, just don't get it. He's to smug, to "look at me, see how good I am". Give me Dino any day.
That's music, there's nothing like. Pity few of them no how to do it now. I dread the day when Joni Mitchell and Kate bush are gone. My world will be empty.

People can and do deserve respect for what they do - IMO he didn't do anything that the likes of Lady Gaga isn't doing now, except she has a far better voice to go with it. He was (and she is) a very good example of why art students shouldn't be allowed near music rooms.
You must be tone deaf mate.

Back