• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Regressing to the mean

Best football I've ever seen at the club, all we needed was a couple of decent players and we wouldve won it and Levy was a turd and got in Nelsen and Saha, cheers Dan

Interesting view, we had players that could turn it on and destroy a side with individual brilliance.

Under Poch, we have turned in some performances where the opposition could not handle us as team, we were/are just a better team. I very really felt under Redknapp that we were a better team than any of the top 4 ...

Re OP, we are an amazingly consistent team in terms of year in, year out performances .. despite player sales, manager changes ...

The first time for years we look and feel like a team, to me this is real progress, sure we still make mistakes but it wouldn't be Spurs without that. I don't want a team of robots or mercenaries, but skill, passion and pride.

Does anyone think that we have done this so far this season? Discuss:)

I'm not really sure how you could come to that conclusion. I think we've progressed a lot since Poch arrived and have a consistency which we haven't had for years. We obviously need a CF in Jan but assuming we get one of appropriate quality, I actually expect us to finish top 4 this year now given that I don't see any more than two teams (Arse and Man C) who are better than us.

From then on, its difficult to forecast what happens next year; if we do finish top 4 then we'll need a couple more top class players in the summer (a 3rd top CB and an genuinely top class attacker/winger/forward type I think) given CL football will mean that we need to maintain the quality midweek and weekend. Chelsea and Man U could easily each spend >£100m in the summer and Liverpoo could progress so I'd expect the league to be tougher next year, however I think we're an increasing attractive proposition for signings and, if we do have CL football next year, that also helps

Since when by this stage in the PL did we
  • boast the best goal difference?
  • record only two defeats? *
  • attain the best defensive record?
  • cease to be the whipping boys of the Sky 4?
  • have what is regarded as one of, if not THE fittest squad in the League?
  • suffer so few injuries?
  • play so consistently well as a TEAM?
If you call all of that simply regressing to the mean, I'll take it every time.:cool:

*Edit: there has only been one season in our entire history when we have conceded fewer League defeats in the top flight by the end of December, no prizes for guessing which that was. ;)

Last edited:
We are were we usually are half way through the season since Redknapp took over.
Points from 19 games from the last few seasons.

15/16 35
14/15 31
13/14 34
12/13 33
11/12 42
10/11 33
09/10 34

We still should have won the league in 11/12

And it still hurts. Just over 50 years on this earth I have yet to see either Spurs or Warrington RLFC (my two sporting loves..in that order) be crowned champions of their respective leagues

And it still hurts. Just over 50 years on this earth I have yet to see either Spurs or Warrington RLFC (my two sporting loves..in that order) be crowned champions of their respective leagues
Just under 40 years on this earth and the denouement to that season will haunt me for the rest of my days... Just hope I live long enough and can get a ticket to watch us win an FA Cup SF to expunge the memory of that disastrous day at Wembley...

Best Spurs TEAM I've seen since 87 and 82

Confront bake in every position and genuinely (not luckily) able to beat everyone with down confort on our day. Some players who are the best in their position in the division and all that would rank in the very top tier of the division

A manager as hungry as the fans and players who truly give a brick...

This is 100% a massive leap forward from 18 months ago

I'll add to this just to be clear. Does anyone think that this applies to our performances this season?

In statistics, regression toward (or to) the mean is the phenomenon that if a variable is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average on its second measurement—and if it is extreme on its second measurement, it will tend to have been closer to the average on its first. To avoid making incorrect inferences, regression toward the mean must be considered when designing scientific experiments and interpreting data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean

I'm not really sure how you could come to that conclusion. I think we've progressed a lot since Poch arrived and have a consistency which we haven't had for years. We obviously need a CF in Jan but assuming we get one of appropriate quality, I actually expect us to finish top 4 this year now given that I don't see any more than two teams (Arse and Man C) who are better than us.

From then on, its difficult to forecast what happens next year; if we do finish top 4 then we'll need a couple more top class players in the summer (a 3rd top CB and an genuinely top class attacker/winger/forward type I think) given CL football will mean that we need to maintain the quality midweek and weekend. Chelsea and Man U could easily each spend >£100m in the summer and Liverpoo could progress so I'd expect the league to be tougher next year, however I think we're an increasing attractive proposition for signings and, if we do have CL football next year, that also helps

Oh you've got me all wrong. I don't think for one moment that we have regressed to the mean, I was just wondering if anyone else did?

Best football I've ever seen at the club, all we needed was a couple of decent players and we wouldve won it and Levy was a turd and got in Nelsen and Saha, cheers Dan

You can't blame Levy for our failure in 2011/12 season. Blame it on Redknapp instead. It is criminal why we failed to achieve anything that season despite having the likes of King/Gallas/Dawson in defence, Modric/Bale/VDV/Lennon/Kranjcar/Sandro in midfield and in-form Adebayor/Defoe/Pavly in attack. We were comfortable in 3rd place from November until February. Then we lost to Arsenal 2-5 despite leading 2-0 and went on a bad run of 1 win in 9 matches that destroyed all our top 3 chances. We did finish 4th but we really should have finished in top 3 as Arsenal were shyte that season.

You can't blame Levy for our failure in 2011/12 season. Blame it on Redknapp instead. It is criminal why we failed to achieve anything that season despite having the likes of King/Gallas/Dawson in defence, Modric/Bale/VDV/Lennon/Kranjcar/Sandro in midfield and in-form Adebayor/Defoe/Pavly in attack. We were comfortable in 3rd place from November until February. Then we lost to Arsenal 2-5 despite leading 2-0 and went on a bad run of 1 win in 9 matches that destroyed all our top 3 chances. We did finish 4th but we really should have finished in top 3 as Arsenal were shyte that season.

Amen brother.

Back