• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Quickest way to lose weight?

The first reply had it pretty much bang on (although I don't believe cutting out red meat makes much difference). Everyone knows how to be healthy, it's just nobody can be bothered to do it. We all know alcohol, sweets, fizzy drinks, fast food etc... is bad for us.

I firmly believe that for every man (and most every woman) to get the body you want you will need to gain some muscle. Low body fat is good, but without muscle it just looks horrible.

Hit the gym, lift weights and do some cardio afterwards, eat a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

The best thing is to post a picture of your goal physique and what you currently look like to see what you need to do. Even if you don't want to post it, it's always nice to have a 'before' photo
You won't be able to gain much muscle (if any) if you're in a calorie deficit. Gaining muscle while losing fat is an incredibly difficult job that requires pin-point precision. Lifting some weights as part of a general routine is good for core stability and posture etc, though.

You won't be able to gain much muscle (if any) if you're in a calorie deficit. Gaining muscle while losing fat is an incredibly difficult job that requires pin-point precision. Lifting some weights as part of a general routine is good for core stability and posture etc, though.

You're absolutely correct, but I lift weights to minimise muscle loss while losing weight. At that stage it's more keeping what you already have more than trying to gain more. Ideally you should have gained the muscle mass first by gaining weight.

Depends if you want to be a beefcake or just have a bit of tone in the right places so your clothes hang well. IMO a general all round body workout will give that to you but if you want to go serious then you will need to be more specific.

There really is no magic cure, just lots of exercise and good eating will do the trick if you want the weight loss to be sustainable. If you cut back on either then it will just take longer.

Joined a brand new gym, £10.99 a month 2 minutes walk from me. Been twice on the trot now, feel much better already.

Makes sense

Hmm?

Both identical, but different approaches...the operative word from Raoul's statement is "small"

It's simple calorie control.

- Many "small" meals = less calories
- Fewer meals = less calories

It's very simple biology: if you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight

The lots f small meals is a fallacy regarding metabolic rates. You can eat all of your calories in one sitting. Makes zero difference to the rate of weight loss or gain. Your body is like a car. Petrol in and miles driven.

£10.99? Thats crazy cheap! Are the facilities good?

Fairly decent, its this company.

http://www.thegymgroup.com/

They are getting quite big now and expanding a lot.

Trouble is its a locals type gym rather than one that turns into a ghost town out of work so its always got a fair few people in it. Has all the facilities you want for general stuff.

Plus its 24hr as well and it tracks when you go in and out so you can see your visits on the website which is quite nifty.

I think these no frill gyms are going to get huge over the next couple of years, people are waking up that they dont need half the extra stuff or can do without it anyway like the free towels etc.

Mine is only £10.99 for first year then it goes to £19.99 but will mean that I can use any of their gyms in the country.

I have a rower at home concept2 which I hire for 35 quid a month. Its a pretty damn great rower. I dont have a gym near enough to me which means i would no doubt not go. Got fitness first next to work but even with the corporate discount its like 65 quid a month.

The place im moving to end of month there is a virgin gym five minute walk - contemplating joining but its like 80 quid a month. EIGHTY fudging QUID. So when I see places like that gym (above) for 20 quid a month and open 24 hours a day - I see great value and would encourage people to go I guess.

The Fitness First near me is £22.95 a month, not too bad!

I'm starting on the weights, training with house mate who has been doing it for years. He gets at me, advising me of the right approach even if it frustrates me if I can't do what he's saying. I find seated dumbbell shoulder lifts annoying as I can't keep arm straight to raise and lower!

I'm working with low weights now, chest press about 35kg (17.5kg each side) + 20kg the bar. Not much. I use the equipment that allows for you to hook the weight back on if you are struggling.

I have started on the protein shake too, really want it to make a difference.

Diet wise, I find metabolic rate fluctuates, sometimes I get away with eating loads but other times I eat little and weight goes on!! I think it's definitely an idea to have chicken & vegetables as regular evening meal and do what you can to cut out the processed stuff, that way all you eat is natural and will be digested a lot easier.

I think these no frill gyms are going to get huge over the next couple of years, people are waking up that they dont need half the extra stuff or can do without it anyway like the free towels etc.

Mine is only £10.99 for first year then it goes to £19.99 but will mean that I can use any of their gyms in the country.
Oh for sure - I pay £130 for the whole year and the gym is as basic as you can get. All I need is a squat rack, benches, dumbells, barbell + weights, bench press rack, dip stand and I'm pretty much sorted. It's a 4/5 minute jog from my house (warm down) as well.

You see loads of people go to Banatyne's or something like that and pay a whopping £55 per month to run on a treadmill for 45 minutes each session; what's the point? Buy some layers and run outside!

That Pure Gym looks golden, all my housemates go there and they only pay about £16 a month I think.

I have a rower at home concept2 which I hire for 35 quid a month. Its a pretty damn great rower. I dont have a gym near enough to me which means i would no doubt not go. Got fitness first next to work but even with the corporate discount its like 65 quid a month.

The place im moving to end of month there is a virgin gym five minute walk - contemplating joining but its like 80 quid a month. EIGHTY fudging QUID. So when I see places like that gym (above) for 20 quid a month and open 24 hours a day - I see great value and would encourage people to go I guess.
Mate why don't you just buy a rowing machine off ebay? If you use it regularly, then you could save yourself a bundle.

I'm working with low weights now, chest press about 35kg (17.5kg each side) + 20kg the bar. Not much. I use the equipment that allows for you to hook the weight back on if you are struggling.

If by that you mean you're using a Smith machine, you should really stop and start using a standard barbell bench press. It's more difficult because you need to balance it yourself, but it's far superior. If you don't feel comfortable with a certain weight, ask for a spot. I've never had someone be rude or say no when asking for a spot

My current diet:

Breakfast: Porridge no sugar
Mid-morning: Handful of almonds
Lunch: Chicken breast and salad wrap
Mid-afternoon: Banana and handful of almonds
Dinner: Chicken breast with boiled veggies

Exercise:
Monday - Weights on arms and chest
Tuesday - Cardio interval training
Wednesday - Weights on shoulder and back
Thursday - Cardio interval training
Friday - Weights on legs and abs

Fairly decent, its this company.

http://www.thegymgroup.com/

They are getting quite big now and expanding a lot.

Trouble is its a locals type gym rather than one that turns into a ghost town out of work so its always got a fair few people in it. Has all the facilities you want for general stuff.

Plus its 24hr as well and it tracks when you go in and out so you can see your visits on the website which is quite nifty.
That's my gym too but I pay 20 quid. My mates joined after and got the same offer as you've got.

Fasting and eating clean-paleo style or low carb high fat. Doing some heavy lifts or advanced bodyweight like Convict conditioning can really help with bodyrecomposition. Kettlebells are also great for strength and conditioning...

Some good resources:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
http://www.dragondoor.com/shop-by-department/books/b41/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
http://www.dietdoctor.com/science
http://www.eatstopeat.com/

Using some of this principles have done wonders for me...I lost weight, gained muscles, got rid of hemroids and sinusitis...

Last edited:
Back