• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

If I was in an incoming Labour minister for Water, I would introduce such draconian regulation that the private water companies would be glad to hand their stakes over to the public.
Not sure if it is draconian but I would insist on not flushing untreated water into the rivers or sea.

You can actually see it at shoreham by sea in Sussex flow out into the sea, its a disgrace.

Yeah, I'm off to prepay a bunch of school fees in the morning.
I’d be careful with that. A ton of independent schools are going to go under as a result of the 20% increase in VAT. You might end up getting 9 or 10p back for every pound you’ve paid up front - and that’s best case scenario.

Here is my suggested slogan for the up coming election. Labour Re Building Britain.

I'd have gone got just 'Better' instead of the 'Change' they went for yesterday.

I'd actually have preferred them to pitch more like Roosevelt's 'New Deal' or Atlee's 'Let Us Face the Future' - something ambitious and marking the end of decline, like 'The Great Reconstruction'

Well it has persisted for over 200 years, so probably not the latter of your suggestions! and it has over 1 Trillion in assets. It has a Board that is independent of French Government. Yet is owned ultimately by the state or tax payer.

Seems like you’ve also fallen into an ideological trap. Stuck to an ideology that private enterprise is the only way to go. Despite the terrible state of British water services etc despite alternative models.
So who pays when it loses money? The taxpayer, right?

I’d be careful with that. A ton of independent schools are going to go under as a result of the 20% increase in VAT. You might end up getting 9 or 10p back for every pound you’ve paid up front - and that’s best case scenario.
I doubt this one will.

They'll have a lot fewer students (taxpayer saving of £0) but they'll be around a lot longer than any of us.

I'd have gone got just 'Better' instead of the 'Change' they went for yesterday.

I'd actually have preferred them to pitch more like Roosevelt's 'New Deal' or Atlee's 'Let Us Face the Future' - something ambitious and marking the end of decline, like 'The Great Reconstruction'

Would only make sense if they actually plan to change anything, so scared of upsetting anyone that they're not really pitching anything fresh when the country is crying out for it.

Would only make sense if they actually plan to change anything, so scared of upsetting anyone that they're not really pitching anything fresh when the country is crying out for it.
There isn't much they can do.

There's nothing left to spend because Sunak staffed it all up the wall during COVID. They can't increase taxes because we're already being taxed more heavily than the economy can cope with.

Best they can hope for is some kind of seismic tech change like Blair had with the internet to lift the economy.

There isn't much they can do.

There's nothing left to spend because Sunak staffed it all up the wall during COVID. They can't increase taxes because we're already being taxed more heavily than the economy can cope with.

Best they can hope for is some kind of seismic tech change like Blair had with the internet to lift the economy.

There's plenty of things they can do to make the country fit for the 21st century, not everything has to cost a huge amount. House of Lords reform would be an easy cheap one for instance.

There's plenty of things they can do to make the country fit for the 21st century, not everything has to cost a huge amount. House of Lords reform would be an easy cheap one for instance.
What would the real world effect of that be? Little to nothing if anything at all. It's probably more likely to be damaging than beneficial.

What would the real world effect of that be? Little to nothing if anything at all. It's probably more likely to be damaging than beneficial.

Not every policy has to be earth shattering but we can do things to bring ourselves into the 21st century and it will likely bring some faith back to politics. Unlikely to be damaging, hardly any opposition to it. Only Iran I think has a larger 2nd chamber.

I mean look at the state of the country and neither main party can come up with anything remotely invigorating.

Yes. And it works. Your point was it didn’t. Which doesn’t actually stack up.
My point is obviously not that investment funds don't work, I invest in them all the time.

My point is that when it loses money, it's the taxpayer that gets hit. Rather unfairly, it's the hardest working who get hit disproportionately.

Back