• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

If I was Starmer, next week I would announce that by Easter 2025 Labour will:
- Restart all HS2 work (including the Sheffield and Leeds leg)
- Reinstate the previous ban dates on new petrol and diesel cars and gas boilers
- Withdraw the Rosebank licence

Basically commit to reversing all of Sunak's scorched earth policies. It might be enough to bring down the government a year early.
That's too easy for Sunak (not that I think he could kick such an open goal if presented with the opportunity).

He just has to tell the country how much that works out in cost per taxpayer and Starmer's done.

That's too easy for Sunak (not that I think he could kick such an open goal if presented with the opportunity).

He just has to tell the country how much that works out in cost per taxpayer and Starmer's done.
People want spending after 15 years of cuts, there's a big appetite for it. And 'green growth' is such an open door to push at

People want spending after 15 years of cuts, there's a big appetite for it. And 'green growth' is such an open door to push at
People always want spending. Nobody ever wants to pay for it.

In case you hadn't noticed we've been spending far too much for quite some time now. National debt is as high as it's been since WWII and so is the tax burden - there's no more money to spend.

People always want spending. Nobody ever wants to pay for it.

In case you hadn't noticed we've been spending far too much for quite some time now. National debt is as high as it's been since WWII and so is the tax burden - there's no more money to spend.
Its not really been spent. Siphoned off into the private sector and tory donner accounts, but not actually spent on public infrastructure or services

Last edited:
Its not really been spend. Siphoned off into the private sector and tory donner accounts, but not actually spent on public infrastructure or services
A handy get around for those who are claiming that a lack of spending is the issue.

Realistically though, what proportion of spending do you think any govt does, or even can, siphon off to friends? They all do it, it's one of the main problems with centralised public spending. But it will never be enough to move the needle.

The Conservatives are doing a terrible job if framing the argument (along with everything else) but this govt has spent - spent more than any since WWII. More if the same is clearly not the answer.

A handy get around for those who are claiming that a lack of spending is the issue.

Realistically though, what proportion of spending do you think any govt does, or even can, siphon off to friends? They all do it, it's one of the main problems with centralised public spending. But it will never be enough to move the needle.

The Conservatives are doing a terrible job if framing the argument (along with everything else) but this govt has spent - spent more than any since WWII. More if the same is clearly not the answer.
This government
Probably 5-10%
It’s a huge number in reality
Then you have the attritional cost of the waste in transactions through an incompetent civil service of another 10-20% IMO (I say that as someone who worked on some major government projects as an advisor and was fudging appalled at the way things worked)

This government
Probably 5-10%
It’s a huge number in reality
Then you have the attritional cost of the waste in transactions through an incompetent civil service of another 10-20% IMO (I say that as someone who worked on some major government projects as an advisor and was fudging appalled at the way things worked)
I don't think it can even be a tenth of that. If your figures are correct, that's £50-100bn a year. They're not competent enough to steal that much.

Thoroughly agree about the civil service though, it needs ripping out and replacing with something that isn't 80 years out of date.

Interesting how many people are flocking to farage at the conference…

if they get a kicking in the next General I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as leader next time around

Did anybody watch the unhinged Penny Mourdant 'We Fight' speech? Oh my GHod, as vacuous a speech as has ever been delivered in British Tory history and that's saying something. Check it out.

Interesting how many people are flocking to farage at the conference…

if they get a kicking in the next General I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as leader next time around
The UKIPisation of the party is nearly complete. There are no senior socially liberal conservatives left, just the hard right so no doubt he feels right at home in this company. This is one of the (many) reasons they are bleeding votes. It is a mirror image of what is happening in the states.

The UKIPisation of the party is nearly complete. There are no senior socially liberal conservatives left, just the hard right so no doubt he feels right at home in this company. This is one of the (many) reasons they are bleeding votes. It is a mirror image of what is happening in the states.
+ @Baleforce
A lot of the political podcasts i listen to have called this out (really recommend the News Agents pod).

They all say the same, post-election loss, the Tories will shift further to the right (given their manifesto is already the same as 2015 UKIP), with all liklihood Suella taking over (as a British Asian, i genuinely shudder at the thought). Every chance Farage rejoins the Tory party now it's in his own image. Almost certainly elected on the Tory ticket somewhere.

Now the question is, what happens after. Hopefully the Tory party soon realise their folly and lose even more, and some sensible folks come back in and move back to the centre. Really sad state of affairs this will all likely happen. Bookmark this post.

Back